Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting issues.

WishWish Posts: 7,841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
GT40 with a Brand new bat installed. Click. Brand new bat on trickle charger all night. Click. Cleaned all terminals. Click. New bat with jump pack. Click. Another car bat put in and new bat taken out. One revaluation or so then click. New bat back in and jumped from car bat. one rev or so then Click. This has been the order of things the last few times out. The weird part, with car bat jumped to new bat and jump pack involved as well, it clicked but then about the 4th or 5th key turn, it turned over as normal. No loping or slow reevaluations first. Gauge shows just under 12v with all that hooked up. When engine is running, it shows over 14v. So are we talking starter (original to 97 boat), solenoid, starter relay or other. Walk me through diagnostics if you can.
>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,428 Mega Baller
    Jump the solenoid, that should tell you if it is solenoid or starter.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    edited March 2015
    1st jump from the small terminal (S) to the battery constant terminal - if that works then the issue is upstream of the solenoid/starter.

2nd jump between the 2 large terminals (B+ and starter) - if that works then the solenoid is bad
    If it doesn't work then the starter is bad (assuming you have a decent battery)
    Chuck P
    Wish
    One more thing I should mention, because I don't know your experience level. To jump the S terminal to battery you can use a relatively small wire - something the size of the one that is on the S terminal. For jumping the 2 large terminals - either use the clamp from your jumper cables (you can just grab them both with one end as long as you are careful where the other end is) or use a very good sized wire so that it doesn't melt in your hand.
    Chuck P
  • skiepskiep Posts: 303 Solid Baller
    Warning when jumping between large terminals there will be a large arc/spark
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 941 Mega Baller
    The high-amp current in the later starters is handled with an on-starter plunger solenoid. The off-starter solenoid/relay only handles the low amperage circuit. A little time with a volt meter on both solenoids should tell you what's getting through and what's not.

Low voltage will ALWAYS cause this type of behavior so double check all connections and grounds as well.
  • JASJAS Posts: 252 Solid Baller
    Ignition switch comes to the top of the list in my mind, solenoid a close second. I have a 99 SN and have replaced both of these parts a while back due to separate failures.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. There are 2 solenoids... 1. one attached to the starter and from what I can tell part of the starter as new ones pictured for sale all have it attached..... 2. A slave solenoid further up stream from starter. Yes??
    Yes. Typically if the one on the starter is bad I just replace the whole starter. Jump the external solenoid to test.
    Chuck P
  • AndyAndy Posts: 213 Baller
    CCF has a rather larger gt40 troubleshooting guide posted. It may help...or not.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,133 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I'd drag mine to Matt at Midwest Mastercraft and have it diagnosed/fixed in a day...I could screw this stuff up so many times all the while losing ski time.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • WishWish Posts: 7,841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Installed a shinny new starter.... Works like a charm. Thanks for the advice!!! Hope the thread helps others. Helped me.

oldjeepthager
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 740 Crazy Baller
    New boat time
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,573 Mega Baller
    @Wish Nice work!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Wish
  • slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 189 Baller
    Always a good feeling fixing it your self.
    Wish