Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was this a ski lake at one time?

rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
I was driving back form Oregon Saturday morning and saw what looked like a ski lake. I googled earthed it and it sure looks like I may have been one, or may be one now . The image however shows an island right in the way. Maybe a Putting green? Its right on the California/Oregon border , tiny town called Hilt.

photo Hiln Lake_zpstwpxwag7.jpg

Comments

• BCMBCM Posts: 275 Baller
    I passed by there a few weeks ago. I have been doing a little research and I believe it is an old mill pond. I think it was a Fruit Growers Supply Co. mill (they still own lots of land and have a field office in Hilt). The link below shows some old images of the mill/mill pond. The concrete layout and proximity to a rail line and the timber industry history of that region points me to believe its an old mill pond. Maybe started as a rock/borrow pit, then was used for log storage??? It looks like the log storage deck was near the north end of the lake and the tepee burner was the circle on the east side of the lake near the south end.

http://www.hiltcalifornia.com/Hilt/Photos.html#14