Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you slow the boat to get into shorter line lengths?

cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 698 Crazy Baller
edited April 2015 in News & Other Stuff
I ran my 1st -28 this past Jan then had an injury for most of March. The past 3 weeks I have ramped it back up and feel good! I only backed down .2 rpms last weekend to get around 3 ball at -28. The video revealed some very impatient handle control pulling it in ect. which tells me I was rushed and had not time to be patient in the turn. I am thinking backing the speed down .4-5 this weekend. What are some thoughts out there regarding this and how much you might slow it down just getting into -28?
Vapor pro 2017

Comments

• Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    I've seen a lot of people do it with success. For them, they would back it down either 1/2 or 1mph to get accustomed to the shorter rope without the added brain chaos that comes along with it at full speed. Or sometimes I've seen them slow it down to get a different perspective on the gates and one. Congrats on your new line length
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • drewski32drewski32 Posts: 218 Baller
    Worked for me. Go for it
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 944 Crazy Baller
    This has brought me great success with shorter line's! Rossi got me into this approach and it has proven to be beneficial. I would slow it down no more than 1mph. Once i start running that i would slowly increase by .2mph incraments until i am running it at full speed. this got me through -35 @ 34.2
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    DmaxJC_ski
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,327 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I've also been to where I can run an existing pass hot before going to the next one at tolerance. A lot of my training 35 off and longer passes are at 16.6 to 16.7, and then we run 38 spot on.
    I also do this b/c I'm on PP and sometimes then when I go to a ZO tourney site it feels a little slower and more relaxed and I usually ski better with that mind set. If I'm uncomfortable usually I over-turn, over-pull, over-ski.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Texas6rok
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @OB thought you were going to quit skiing? If you did, I would miss your bubbly personality...........
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    Slowing the boat can be a good and bad. The good is that you have a little more time coming into the buoy to figure things out. The bad is that you have a little less energy from the boat to whip you wide during the power window in the lean.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 786 Crazy Baller
    George, your on the running order for Swiss.
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 698 Crazy Baller
    It worked I ran back to back -28's yesterday at my home lake a PB! Now I have to get on my front foot going into 1/3/5 and qute pulling the rope back across my hip
    Vapor pro 2017
    AndreMISkier
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,318 Mega Baller
    Congrats on the PB.
    Still early in the season!
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Good to hear the progress man.

For me, slowing the boat makes it a little easier to get to my PB line length but ultimately doesn't change anything on my hardest line length which at this time is 35off... I tried dropping the speed a little at 28 and 32 off as well without any progress. In fact, I feel like it crippled me a little because I was running 2 passes at 34.2mph and running 33.5mph for the next 6+ passes trying to learn the new length and it freaked me out/messed up my timing a little when raising the speed back up.

Free skiing at the harder line lengths to understand rope dynamics and ropes control helps me. More course time at my hardest line is good too unless I can't even turn 1 ball. Maybe it works for some but being able to run 28 off or 32 off consistently doesn't make me better at the next line length.

All that said... Do what works for you short of running over buoys and getting hurt. I try nearly every trick each time I make it to the next line length.