Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

196 DTC throttle tension adjustment

swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,433 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Is it possible to loosen the throttle on a 196 ('06)? My latest boat's throttle is much more stiff than my last one. I wasn't sure if the screw on the throttle lock out is for adjusting tension, and decided not to mess with it until I asked the BOS experts.
Scott Calderwood

Comments

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    edited May 2015
    That boat is mechanical throttle cable right? If so, I believe there is a set screw you can adjust under the side panel cover. I think you take that cover (one with tether switch mounted in it) off and there will be an option in there.......

However, it might be more likely that the throttle cable is creating the stiffness...... Maybe check your routing? Lube?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,433 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Being a DBW boat, I was assuming it was just a wire between the throttle arm and engine? I take a close look when I get home.
    Scott Calderwood
    @Jody_Seal Can you help with this one?
    Scott Calderwood
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,051 Mega Baller
    First I would inspect the routing of both the throttle and shift cables making sure it was not burnt against the exhaust manifold or some shade tree decided it needed to be re-routed in a very bent direction. if all is clear then next would be to unhook from the ball and socket on the transmission shift lever and see if that frees things up! I have seen a stiff condition many times before in these Teleflex throttle controls and many times it comes from a lack of grease on the inner pivot point in the throttle cam of the control. long drawn out explanation that I am not going to go into but could be that the rolling post mechanism that the throttle cam follows is dry and worn out. If the cables are free then the next step is to pull apart the control and investigate!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Thanks Jody!
    Scott Calderwood
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,142
    @SWC5150 even though it's drive by wire, there is still a physical throttle cable(just like on a non dbw boat) that goes to the dbw sensor at the engine. Then, it becomes drive by wire to the ECM.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 419 Crazy Baller
    I'm not sure a 2006 SN196 is drive by wire. I think the first Nautique dbw was 2007.
    Thanks Shane, that makes sense

dbutcher
    2006 was the first year. This my second 06 now, and both read Digital Throttle Control right on the engine, just like my 07 did.
    Scott Calderwood
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    Is the throttle easy to move when you rev it up in neutral ? My 05 MC was drive by wire , and had a stif throttle , but was nice and smoothe when reved in neutral. I sprayed grease on the cable near where it hooks to the tranny and issue was solved. The metal piece of the cable that slides back and forth inside the cable jacket. Not the attach point.
    I just tried that, and I think it's a little smoother in neutral? I'm thinking it may be the throttle control, as I can hear friction (best I can explain it) behind it. I'm going to lube all the points I can and see what happens. The gear and throttle cables don't seem to be kinked, burned or rubbing on anything.
    Scott Calderwood
    Dumb question....what kind if spray grease should I use?
    Scott Calderwood
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,142
    DBW was a late year change in 06 model year if I'm not mistaken.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

The PCM section of the '06 brochure talks up DTC, so I'm thinking it was available through the entire '06 run?
    Scott Calderwood
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    I used white lithium spray grease. WD can be used to find your sticking point , but it is not a lubricant. Didn't make sense to me , but the stiff transmission cable gave my throttle a lot of resistance. Good luck. Post the cure , to help the next guy out.
    It's been cold, so I haven't ventured into the garage to start greasing yet. However, I may stand correct on the DTC in '06, to Shane's point. Both my 06's read Digital Throttle Control on the engine shroud, while this one that just surfaced on SIA does not. Maybe it was a mid-season update afterall?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32135
    Scott Calderwood
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,051 Mega Baller
    edited May 2015
    The 2006 was a DBW configuration MEFI 5 and odd and only year as E-control started in 07. Keep in mind up until 2013 the "Pot" or peddle switch was located up on the engine. the control was a full mechanical Teleflex/Morse control with two cables routed to the engine. in 2013 Nautique started utilizing the Livorsi control that had the "Pot" incorporated in the control and for 2015 electronic shift also in the control.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.