Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using car wax for boats?

TdubTdub Posts: 256 Baller
edited May 2015 in Boat Talk
Just curious. Has anyone used car wax such as Ice for your boat. Are there properties in boat wax that are meant for fiberglass that are not in car wax? Turtlewax Ice seems to work great but not sure if it is good for glass. And the automotive quick waxes work great as well. Thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• kstateskierkstateskier Posts: 524 Solid Baller
    I prefer paint sealants over wax due to their longevity and my wipe down process includes spraying the boat down with a "fast wax" spray to help protect and clean.

That being said for years and years before I found sealants I used Meguiars or Collinites wax on my boat and it always worked well.
    KStateSkier
    Bradley Beach - Lone Rock Ski Club, Missouri
    2004 Malibu Response LXI, 2014 D3 Helix 66"
    Bulldog
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,819 Mega Baller
    I have usually used a Marine Wax on cars myself - I find it wipes off much better and leaves a fantastic finish. Its a Meguiars Marine Wax in a Blue bottle.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,258 Mega Baller
    Nu Finish Rocks
    Shut up and ski
    Wishakale15
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    Car wax is safe on a boat finish, the protection does not last as long. Nu Finish is good for a top coat after the finish is clean. The Meguiars flagship wax, or 3M protector wax are more effective for boats.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    Tidbury
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,656
    My boat polisher guy who does nothing but boats told me to use Nu Finish..
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

akale15
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,876 Infinite Pandas
    What are you talking about? Wax is for mold release. Or ears.

Is pool acid (the serious cleaning product) considered automotive or marine? Why would you want to remove that protective coating of dirt anyway?

Eric
  • pumpinpetepumpinpete Posts: 37 Baller
    Nu Finish is excellent
    I also have had great results with Mr Sheen spray on furniture polish
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,428 Mega Baller
    edited May 2015
    Guess I'm old fashioned. I just use the Collinite 885 once or twice a year and then wipe down with Eagle One Marine Wax as you Dry.

Whatever the pro detailer used right before I bought my boat was super shiny, slippery and lasted about 4 trips out.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home