Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prop for 2007 Nautique 196?

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,813 Mega Baller
Looks like I need a new prop, which is a new experience for me. I'm getting some real bad vibration both in the hole shot and at speed. (I guess I hope it's the prop; other possibilities seem a lot worse!)

My dealer can get me one eventually, but I might be interested in expediting one. Recommendations?
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Comments

• TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 550 Crazy Baller
    Do you find any irregularities in the prop with a visual and tactile inspection? If you hit something and bent/nicked the prop, then this could cause the vibration, but it could also probably be repaired rather than replaced.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,813 Mega Baller
    Oh, I should have mentioned: This prop had a ding and was repaired over the winter, but has ended up noticeably worse.

It's surprisingly awkward for me to get the boat out of the water (tiny tunnel, horrible ramp, trailer buried under crap in my garage, I'm a wuss), so I haven't visually inspected the prop yet.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,232 Mega Baller
    It could be the prop is not seated properly on the shaft.

Last year I bought a new old stock Acme prop for my 200. It came with installation instructions (and I actually read them). Manual says to use a lapping compound on the mated surfaces to get a good seat. I didn't have any lapping compound, but had some rubbing compound (any light abrasive compound will work). Put the rubbing compound on the shaft and put the prop on without the slot key. Rotating the prop on the shaft allows the to surfaces to mate properly. No vibration after that.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,843 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 905 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    2x on the 422
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,051 Mega Baller
    Call or send a message to Skip Dunlap I believe he has a 422 for sale.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,414 Crazy Baller
    Last I knew Skip's number is 863-605-0340. Email is [email protected] 422 is what you want. Not the first time I've heard of a repair facility making an ACME worse tryin to fix a small ding. CNC machined you know.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,051 Mega Baller
    So far I have found General Propeller south of Tampa the best repair outfit for the ACME stuff. but most of the time it is better just to throw the damaged ACME in the scrap bin and get another. Oj 428 is a great replacement for the 422 and will hold up better to light strikes that would other wise obliterate the ACME.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,686 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2015
    www.PropMD.com for repairs. If your local shop doesn't have a spin balancer then it is a crap shoot if the prop will be right when you get it back. They are local to me, but their shipment options are pretty decent.

If anyone is throwing damaged Acmes in the scrap bin I would be more than happy to pay to have them shipped to me ;)

This is the one they fixed for me last year and it is perfect

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,813 Mega Baller
    Thanks for all the help guys!

I've got a prop on the way, purchased from a fellow Baller. Hopefully the prop is my only problem!
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,232 Mega Baller
    @OB I assume you meant the 1868? I've got one too, but I will keep is as an emergency short term spare.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas