Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do fuel injectors fail?

eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,975 Infinite Pandas
The UCLA team boat is running badly. They have been using Kirk's boat for the last couple years but he's graduating (hopefully) so the team boat needs to work. They retired it because it would sputter at slalom speeds. The problem is worse now after sitting unused for a long time. The tune up didn't help (is Bakersfield the best place for a boat mechanic?). Replacing the failed alternator brought PP back to life (how do they get it out of wakeboard mode?)but didn't help the power. They are plugging the leaks that are sinking the boat in minutes. Waxing the boat and fixing the upholstery is getting the boat looking nice but it won't pull slalom.

Do injectors fail? Is that the next thing to look at? Does cleaning the injectors help? Those redneck u tube videos were entertaining not instructive.

Disclaimer, I have not seen the boat so I am troubleshooting by phone.

Eric

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 8,140 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes injectors can fail. They can also be rebuilt much cheaper then new.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,686 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2015
    What was the tune up? Cap, rotor, plugs and wires? Hopefully also replaced impeller.

Assuming they already replaced the fuel filters then the next thing I would do is a compression check. Then check the fuel pressure when the bogging is happening, after that then consider pulling the injector(s) and bring them in for testing/cleaning.

And just for grins, what year and brand engine are we talking about anyways?

Last thought, seems like a college the size of ucla would have some practical programs - have them find some mechanical engineer students that are into gas engines and get it worked on for free.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • supergadgetsupergadget Posts: 55 Baller
    plugs. (easy to forget, they do wear out)
  • DWDW Posts: 2,250 Mega Baller
    Injectors can fail for a couple of reasons, no electrical signal to tell the injector to fire or because it sticks or is plugged due to debris or varnish from the fuel. They should probably be sonically cleaned as a start and the voltage checked. Have all the filters been changed or checked?
    Wisheleeski
  • DougDoug Posts: 46 Baller
    Eric where's the boat at?
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,975 Infinite Pandas
    The boat is a 96 Malibu with the Monsoon engine. Filters were the first thing replaced with no effect. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires were a couple years old but freshly replaced by the incompetent Bakersfield mechanic. The failed alternator was just replaced by Kirk and now the PP lights up properly but he's been too busy keeping the boat afloat to figure out what happened to the PP (did the mechanics swap modules and exchange the Classic 3 event for a wakeboard one?).

Regarding the injectors, is diy cleaning worthwhile? The videos of the redneck cleaning were funny but I could probably do something similar. Or just send them in to a cleaning service? Are they unique or can I pick up a set at the wrecking yard and swap them?

@oldjeep Practical technical education in college? Fixing the team boat is the practical experience class at UCLA. Kirk is learning a lot. Thanks for the impeller tip. Not relevant yet as the boat won't run well enough to heat up and there's plenty of cooling water swirling in the bilge as the boat sinks. There's a lot of work.

Eric
    @Doug The boat is at Ironwood.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,488 Mega Baller
    remove the injectors and send them to some one with a flow bench for testing, remember that spray pattern matters, none should leak and the flow rates should be even after cleaning, even a 3% improvement in flow rate can make a significant improvement in performance
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Wisheleeski
    edited May 2015
    I mentioned the info in my first post but NOW I remember who I heard the injector info from. Had a phone conversation recently with the PCM tech at the factory. He said what has been mentioned above by @richarddoane and @DW. Failure is possible. Leaking is probable as the failure and sending them off for reconditioning is THE way to go vs expensive new. He actually suggested doing this as routine maintenance (before they even start demonstrating issues) for high hour boats. Easy to do and solves a ton future issues with them. I do believe it was, as he figured, less then a $200.00 job.
    eleeski
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,488 Mega Baller
    that 96 Malibu is almost 20 years old, I'm sure it needs a bunch of everything
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    @richarddoane...... what part of my post do you disagree with.. came from PCM tech at the factory.
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    I challenge a boat company to give a new tournament boat to a university ski team every year for the next 20 years. WHAT BETTER INVESTMENT IN THE SPORT!
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    eleeski
    @eleeski what I meant, is that a school with an ME program has at least a couple motorheads who know how to diagnose and repair a common Chevy small block.
    Chuck P
    Wish
    @GOODESkier How will the kids learn practical valuable skills like boat repair? Hmm maybe they had better stick to those careers like IDS or art history that will give them a chance at paying for the education. Or vet school (rated the worst payback of any degree - my daughter in law is in vet school).

Seriously, that would be a smart idea for both the boat companies and the sport. If the companies or the sport will be around in the coming decades.

@oldjeep Finding that capable ME gearhead is tough enough. Having that person be a dedicated water skier who will drive 2 hours to fix the boat to ski is rare. The challenges facing college teams (no university support, difficult training sites, no money and conflicting demands on time - exams during all stars?) are massive. Somehow they get by. The kids really give hope to the future.

Eric
    @eleeski doesn't need to be a water skier at all, gearheads like tinkering with stuff. Just find a cute girl from the team to ask for help and buy them some pizza. I certainly fixed cars for people in college for a lot less ;)
    Chuck P
  • DWDW Posts: 2,250 Mega Baller
    If you want to find the college gearhead, call the ME department and ask for the FSAE competition students, particularly the powertrain experts in the group. They are a very bright group of kids.
    oldjeep
  • IheartJumpIheartJump Posts: 41 Baller
    Have them call perfect pass for the 3 event thing. Same thing happened to me when I had a dealership install pp for me the first time. Wakeboard pro version after paying for 3 event pro. Pp customer service has a way to access the 3 event version that they can walk you through over the phone as long as it really was 3 event to begin with.
    eleeski
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @eleeski if I lived closer, I would be there in a heart beat to help. Any ballers with mechanical know how in the area that can step up and aid them?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    Bruce_Butterfieldeleeski
    It's complicated since the boat is in Arvin (near Bakersfield so the middle of nowhere) and the kids are in LA, a couple hours away (in no traffic - right in LA?). Kirk's truck can't pull it over the grapevine to bring it to LA even if he could find a parking place. Urban living does not work well with water skiing.

The injector rehab looks like the next step. Mechanic skills are a forced learning process. I'll get up to help them in a couple weeks if they are still stuck.

Eric
    gt2003