Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trailer Brakes - Emergency Break-Away Cable

GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
Bone headed move this morning, caused my truck to yank the emergency break-away cable that actuates the brakes in the event the trailer came free from the truck. It didn't pull all the way out, but it did actuate the brakes, and now they are hanging up a bit. trailer is a DHM from a Nautique with Disc Brakes. Anyone know how much you have to tear into that thing to get them to release? I am assuming you can "reset" the cable actuator?
2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,686 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    There is a brake lock tab under the tongue that you pry with a screwdriver to release if you have the standard ufp or Atwood actuator. Which actuator is on you trailer.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,686 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2015
    http://www.ezloader.com/Manuals/parts/UFP/A-60, A-75, XR-84, A-84, & A-84(AC) hydraulic brake actuator.pdf

Page 26

Look at the manual if you have a ufp. Atwood is similar as I recall
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @oldjeep THANKS MAN! Looks like I get to buy a new "clip" which got destroyed in my pull out! Oops....
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,488 Mega Baller
    @goodeskier - use a bunch of zip ties and attach the break away cable to one of your safety chains, that way it never gets forgotten, that's what I always do for people's trailers
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 419 Crazy Baller
    In a real break-away, would it function as intended when attached to a safety chain instead of the tow vehicle?
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 419 Crazy Baller
    Or did you mean attach to tow vehicle AND zip tie to chain so it's not forgotten?
    My safety cables are those stupid plastic coated cables that are spiral sprung (Hate Them...). I actually didn't forget to unhook, the cable caught around the ball when I drove away and then snagged on the coupler and pulled out.

I have a quick release caribeaner and will attache to my safety cable clip each time I trailer from here on out. That way I can't forget, and it won't snag on the coupler like the hook did.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,488 Mega Baller
    @dbutcher in a real breakaway, that little cable applying the brakes once won't do much, if anything, those little cables are nothing but a nuisance, always double check your coupler, locking pin, and safety chains prior to towing, how many people actually do a "walk around" and double check their rig before departing ?
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    @richarddoane I walk around EVERYTIME! Even from my house to my launch which is less then 0.2 miles. Then again, everytime I have a school vehicle, I walk around it and find something ready to either fall off or fail..........