Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a 2000 SN turn tight?

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
The boat has a great wake but man it turns sooo slow. If someone falls in the course, we can't really even turn inside the buoy line. Doesn't really matter how much power is applied or not applied. The boat certainly turns better/easier to the left but the turning circle is really lame regardless of the direction.

Is there anyway to make it better or is it just something you have to live with?

Comments

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    I let the nose come down on my own boat but the SN glides forever. If the skier falls at 1 ball, I'm usually going through the boat guides at 3 ball and then idling some more to clear the rope. If we turn quick and idle back, the rollers are typically through the course by the time we come back anyway which is why we're often a little more reckless with the wake.

As for steering problems, I've been asking over at CCFan and haven't gotten much help from them. The rudder drags like crazy when at speed unless we have fresh grease on the packing but that only lasts a few weeks. I recently just tried to add a grease fitting to the packing nut to allow for grease to be added more easily. The cable may need to be changed soon as the steering drags a little more than normal even at idle but even when it has been changed, there wasn't a huge difference.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,282 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I meant to ask over on CCF... is the 1/4" packing the proper size? SInce it's cheap and easy, maybe try 3/16 and see if that makes a difference.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,293 Mega Baller
    Go to a dealer and test ride a new one. Shouldn't be much difference to yours. If so, then go through the system including rudder torque and alignment first. Compare the on land resistance of turning the rudder when on the trailer to the new boat, both steering wheel and by hand behind the boat. Then disconnect the tiller arm on top of the rudder and see if it frees up at all when turning rudder by hand. Etc.... I didn't notice any turning problems when I drive my friends 200. Promo with 110 hours.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,477 Mega Baller
    My 2000 turns right just fine, my buddies '97 not so much. Left turning even snappier.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Waternut
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,247 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    My 1993 Prostar turns within its' own length....but it can't track like modern boats, everything is a trade-off.
    Broussard
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 542 Solid Baller
    Use Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing grease, if you aren't already
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,286 Mega Baller
    That's a nascar boat boy! whasrongwitchu?
    There is .480" of clearance between the packing nut and rudder shaft so 1/4" seems right. Something I just thought of... there is 3-4" of clearance between the rudder and the prop. This boat has a 4 blade stainless prop. Could that gap be causing poor handling? My boat only has like 1/4" of clearance.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,050 Mega Baller
    My 200 will swap ends in side the slalom course, If you are having turning problems then you need to take it to a authorized dealer and have it checked out.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Waternut
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,293 Mega Baller
    6" sounds about right..... er, I mean about 3"..

200.PNG 147.8K
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 889 Crazy Baller
    Maybe it's his technique. Could be chopping the throttle at the wrong time.
    Nothing irritates me more then to see the boat power slide in the slalom course and plow back to the skier.
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,247 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I would say that prop clearance he mentioned is the problem
    I've tried every possible scenario of power on, power off, and everything in between. I've even tried chopping throttle, cranking the wheel, and ram throttle back in to sling the back around and that won't turn it either.

I realize most are cringing at the thought of a power turn in a slalom course but the owner of this lake is incredibly diligent with his banks, drop areas, and take off areas. I've never seen anyone with quite the eye for even the slightest roller and he'll politely tell us about it to make sure we stay in the window for a clean course...even if he steps outside the window himself.
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Nothing turns like a CC 200, but wondering this thread is about a year 2000 ski nautique?

I would pull your rubber, clean all the crap out of it, get all the corrosion off it, and then redo with the dripless packing material. Then make sure the rudder turns free on it's own. Check cable and watch for full operational range. Get that all dialed in and any nautique ought to be spot on turning...... unless your are carrying lots of weight somewhere? Waterlogged compartments in the floor? Just a thought?

I would echo most, skier falls, off throttle, boat settles, turn, return to skier at idle or if you must quick pop up and down (Not what I do most of time, but if my son is sitting in 50 degree water, I do!). This also keeps your handle from bashing up balls and course parts.
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    ...and use reverse if you cut throttle and drop into the course while still heading right down the driver gate line. I never whip a quick turn (though I can certainly to the left) unless near the end of the course where a roller shot out won't matter for the next pass.
    Drop in the hole, gently slip into reverse, in Nautiques the stern goes left. Then do forward right idle, can do reverse again if want and repeat until facing opposite direction in the course and idle back to skier.
    edited May 2015
    @goodeskier Yes this is a 2000 ski nautique 196. The bubble butt version... I don't know about waterlogged compartments but we don't really carry anything except 1-2 people and their gear for skiing.

@6balls I assume you don't mean to use reverse while still moving? It's not how I read it but I'm guessing that's what you mean.
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    I rented on a lake for a year with a bubble butt 196, it turned just fine when needed. I rarely spun it quick, not my style, but was a club boat and some hammered that thing around. But if someone I was driving for exploded I could get right back to them quick.
    You say stainless steel 4 blade. I think I recall stock 4 blade prop on that boat was a ACME 422 12.5" x 15.5" .105cup nibral (anyone pop off with correct prop if this is wrong). Could be the prop it's self causing issues. My experience with outboards and SS props is the blades are thinner with less flex so handle much different, even for same size. Think that would hold true with an inboard as well, if not more so. Could be the SS prop (bet not right size either) is making it handle like crap.
    Waternut
    @waternut yes after she drops into the hole meaning not much forward momentum left when slipping into reverse.