Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moomba Outback???

gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited May 2015 in Boat Talk
Found this on SIA.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32228

I go to "ski school" in less than 4 weeks. I figure once the girlfriend sees how quickly a "real" boat can pull me out of the water that it will be time to upgrade boats. I've heard of the Moomba's and I like the idea of an open bow. This one has the Indmar Assault 325 in it. Is that a 5.7 Liter? What are overall thoughts on this boat from you all? Plenty of power? Hours are low. I checked bluebook value and it looks like average retail is $24,000 so he's got a little wiggle room. Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks
2014 HO TX
1996 Malibu Echelon

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,686 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes, 5.7L
    Price seems a lot high, you can buy an 03/04 Malibu LXI for that and have a much nicer boat.

Nada isn't going to tell you much since there are not a lot of those boats out there, but here is a similar one for 4K less
    http://www.onlyinboards.com/2008-MOOMBA-Outback-21-6--for-sale-Waunakee-Wisconsin-48949.aspx

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks oldjeep. Overall should I avoid Moomba's or is the LXI just a superior boat overall? I'm thinking $30,000 is about my price range. What year Malibu can I get for that? I thought a 2008 might be a better option since it's so much newer=less problems?
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
    Maybe I should have titled it "Best ski boat for 30K". Maybe this is a better option. Looks like I'll have some good choices right around the $30,000 range. Anything in particular to avoid? Any motors to avoid etc?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=31584
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • kstateskierkstateskier Posts: 524 Solid Baller
    If I was shopping again I'd snatch this baby up. Private lake, monsoon, classy color scheme, not sure of the hours but if its under 900 its a solid price.

ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=30263

Unless you like red and then there's this low low hour machine. I have this exact boat - they ski AWESOME. Best open bow slalom boats made.
    ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32060
    KStateSkier
    Bradley Beach - Lone Rock Ski Club, Missouri
    2004 Malibu Response LXI, 2014 D3 Helix 66"
    oldjeepEd_Obermeier
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,554 Mega Baller
    Don't know about the newer Moomba's but I know they were using wood in their hulls a lot later than the other companies. You can just about get into a SN 200 for 30k. If I've got 30k to spend, I'm finding the most recent Malibu or Ski Nautique with Zero Off for that price. You absolutely cannot find better boats than those two, even a few years old.
    WishBulldogkstateskier
    Thanks guys. I like what's out there. I can't wait to ski behind a new "ski machine" since it's been 25 years since I last ski'd behind a dedicated slalom tug.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,433 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    With a $30k budget, as others have said, your budget gets you something nicer than this Moomba. The Outback isn't in the same league as an LXi or SN200...not even close.

FWIW, this guy is asking around what that boat was new in '08, after some solid negotiation. Also, my parents were silent partners in a Moomba dealership in that era, and I still paid considerably more for a new Nautique, foregoing an Outback at cost.
    Scott Calderwood
    gt2003
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,033 Crazy Baller
    edited May 2015
    Do not buy a moomba!!! You will regret it. A friend of mine bought one and has had nothing but grief ever since. Stick with the big four. (Prostar, Lxi, 196, Carbon Pro)
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
    gt20036balls
    edited May 2015
    @gt2003 nothing in particular against moomba, I just about bought a new outback v last year, but decided that for the money that a 2 year old Malibu was a better deal. For what you are looking to spend there are a lot of good options already posted. That red lxi would be at the top of my list, and I don't even like red boats;)
    Chuck P
  • WishWish Posts: 8,140 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited May 2015
    30K can by you a LOOOOOOOOT of boat that would be far better then a budget minded boat like Moomba. A LOT OF BOAT. Wish I had 30K to choose.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Shakeski
    Well, I jumped a little fast into the first boat and had a lot of repair work to do from neglect. That won't happen again. I am by no means "rich". However, I can afford a $300/month payment over 10 years and still afford new ski's, gas etc. I'm a decent sized boy at 215 lbs and would love a very skiable wake. So, maybe it's time to take the plunge. We will see what happens at ski school. I'm in Oklahoma so I seriously doubt I'll be able to get back on the water before "school". The water levels here are just unreal!
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,056 Mega Baller
    edited May 2015
    If you are going to be skiing the course and thinking about tournaments I would try to get something with ZO. This popped up http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32361. Kevin is on the site also.
    Mark Shaffer
    edited May 2015
    Now you are back to moomba - ducking ;)

Good deal if you want something basic for skiing only. I'd still rather have an 6 year older lxi for the money.
    Chuck P
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    I have a fair amount of time driving/skiing an Outback so I'm very familiar with the Outback. Decent enough ski boat (very plain jane interior though) but as many have stated above for that kind of money IMO an '03 - '05 LXI or a slightly older Nautique would be money much better spent.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    kstateskier
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,488 Mega Baller
    @gt2003 - you should ski behind an older Malibu, and then compare that to the wake behind the newer Carbon Pro with ZO, it'll be a "no-brainer"
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,706
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' 2021 MC As soon as it lands Ski - KD Platinum

Wish
    I will ski behind a nautique at ski school then maybe be able to find a Malibu to ski behind. The only thing holding me back from the carbon pro is the closed bow. I really want something with the open bow. I'm glad to see that there are some really nice OB Malibu's and Nautique's out there. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up soon!
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,041 Mega Baller
    With the Malibu, get 2008 or newer for the LXi. You will want it to have Zero Off or at least be a plug and play upgrade. The 2007 can be done, but it is not totally plug and play and also costs more to add ZO.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 469 Crazy Baller
    I own an '03 Outback. Agree about the minimalist interior. Not as many nooks and crannies to store stuff. It is all fiberglass. I regularly ski behind a 94 Prostar, an 03 Lxi, and my 03 Outback. The Outback holds its own in terms of wake quality (especially when set up) and power. Decent trick wake as well. Mine has the 310hp carb and it has plenty of power to foot. My 03 was AWSA approved hull. I think that one is as well. This boat might priced a bit high but try to talk them down.

I would say it depends on what you want. I wanted an open bow but the in my price range I only found nautiques with the playpen and responses with the step over. I wanted a walk through. I was lucky enough to find one without a tower, but most have them. You either want the tower or you don't. If your budget is 30k (and you want to spend all of that) you can certainly get a better boat. If you want a pure slalom tug, get a response with ZO. However the Outback is a really good boat... it is worth consideration.
    Ed_Obermeier
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 843 Mega Baller
    edited May 2015
    I'll stand up for the Moomba (at least 2003 and later) and say it's a great budget, family-oriented all-around boat. I ski behind one often. But, it's only great at the right price. You need to decide whether you'd rather have a newer Ford or an older BMW. There are valid arguments in both directions. Personally, I went for an older Malibu, as many on this thread have suggested. But I never turn down a ride behind an Outback. Not the best tracking boat from a driver's point of view, but you get used to it.
    Wish
    If that Moomba were in the teens, it may be worth considering? His price is way too high.
    Scott Calderwood
    I agree with @kfennell Twice, our family has decided an open bow was needed. Neither the Prostar 205 or SN200 open bows have been used much at all. The bow upholstery still has to be kept clean though;)

His Carbon is worth a look.
    Scott Calderwood
  • Hugh NicholsHugh Nichols Posts: 111 Baller
    where in oklahoma. iam in tulsa
    Hugh Nichols
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,986 Mega Baller
    @gt2003 - I was in your shoes back in 2007. I was used to skiing behind an I/O. When we were in the market we ended up going with a brand new Moomba Mobius LS. It has a tower and doubles as a wakeboard boat and barefoot boat. Interior is plain - but has held up to abuse (lots of foot traffic) over the last 8 years. The difference in wake from an I/O to the inboard was night and day. It is by no means a tournament type ski boat (the Mobius) but I can still ski behind it. With that being said - if you had $30k to spend right now on any type of boat - I would go with one of the big three. Of those big three - I would chose the Carbon Pro.
    Carbon pro is one of the big 3? Who got demoted?
    Chuck P
    escmanaze
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,477 Mega Baller
    http://www.sonwatersports.com/used-boats/2009-Gekko.html

Still favor a Lxi as the others mention for you, but have a soft spot for Gekko's. Look great in the water, track like a train, good top end, good barefoot boat, wide. Wake very small, a tad firm, no side spray.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    These track on rails, no side spray, wide, good top end and barefoot boat...I gotta soft spot for them.

Still would recommend a Lxi for you as have many others.

Still favor a Lxi as the others mention for you, but have a soft spot for Gekko's. Look great in the water, track like a train, good top end, good barefoot boat, wide. Wake very small, a tad firm, no side spray.
  • WolfeieWolfeie Posts: 179 Baller
    There was a Outback simular to the one you listed on our lakes several years ago. The owner was a new owner and brought the boat with him. He quickly learned not a great slalom boat to drive the course in. Very touchy in regards to crew weight and where crew were sitting. I drove it several times and did not like driving it pulling a skier in the course. Its a fine open water boat, but no good for course....ghe now has a SN196
    Brad Wolfe - Ski West Village, Arvin, Ca; Radar Pro Build, SN 200, I can see Ball of Spray headquarters from my lake house.