Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you expect a mechanic to find this?

IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,187 Crazy Baller
For the last 2-3 seasons our boat has been in and out of the shop. It started as a backfiring issue. They replaced something (literally everything in the boat except engine has been replaced so i dont remember exactly what) that fixed the backfiring. After that was fixed it started hesitating. This has gone on since middle of last season. It hesitates right when you put the throttle down to pull someone up. Anyway, about a week ago we were skiing and it started hesitating on literally every pass. Then we noticed that we were very low on gas. We put about 12 gallons in the tank and it has not hesitated since. The only thing we can figure is that there might be a hole in the gas line and when the gas gets low, and right before plane when the gas is in the back of the tank, the fuel line is sucking in a little bit of air which isnt giving the engine enough power. Anyway my dad keeps saying he would not have expected for the mechanic to find this (BTW, we have spent a few thousand dollars trying to get this fixed). Am I the only one that thinks considering the guy had it all winter for 2 winters plus about half the ski season, he should have found a hole in the gas line before replacing transmission plates and the ECM?

Comments

• DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    I went through the same thing with my kids snowmobile last winter. I did all the work myself so no monetary loss there, a few Extra grey hairs though, just to find the pick up line shredded inside the tank.....
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,406 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Slight fuel leak site did same thing on buddies Nautique. Multiple visits to mechanic. Not til got bad enough to not just be sucking air but visibly leaking gas was it found and fixed. No issues since.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,586 Mega Baller
    edited June 2015
    From an automotive standpoint when I see a vehicle doing stuff like that and has no codes or codes that don't make sense. Fuel pressure is one of the first thing I look at. Sometimes you can see low pressure right away but others you have to simulate the issue under load or whatever the situation is to see the problem.

Cars are starting to use more and more plastics in the fuel tank pickups the alcohol in the fuel seems to be causing it to deteriorate faster. I seen vehicle with cracks in various places on the pick tubes, plastic pickup broke off. Some of the steel tanks were lined and the alcohol caused the lining to tear off in strips and clog the pickups. I had a early 90 Mastercraft that was doing same thing right after I picked it up new. Ended up being shavings in the gas tank from holes being cut/drill during manufacturing. I'd pull the tank clean it out check everything. I've pull the tank on my 99 response a few times. Its a fair amount of work but nothing difficult.

Another thing I've seen was on older gm diesels used a special vented fuel filler caps for diesels only. Their fuel pump were low pressure and with the wrong cap a vacuum would form as the fuel level got lower, the vacuum would overcome the pump. So make sure your vent lines are not clogged etc.

I'd say if the mechanic didn't do a fuel pressure test while the boat was having the issue he failed. I really like to find a problem before I start changing parts out but some times its difficult to find things. Did you ever have a different mechanic look at it? I have a network of buddy's we help each other out all the time, sometimes a fresh set of eyes or different perspective is all it takes to find the problem.
    Than_Bogansantangelo
  • santangelosantangelo Posts: 183 Solid Baller
    Agreed on shavings in the gas tank causing similar symptoms. Had an 88 MC Prostar that had the plastic shavings from drilling the fittings in the plastic gas tank that cause hesitation issues.
  • jpwhitjpwhit Posts: 72 Baller
    Have you actually opened up the tank and verified there is a hole in the gas pickup line, or do you just suspect that's the issue?
    Monkstr6100