Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flextail: Uneducated ramblings

13»

Comments

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    @Horton -' Does a trailer help a car turn? ' yes a trailer helps a car turn -if you consider the alternative scenario of the trailer being a rigid part of the cars frame instead. the ability of the trailer to pivot behind the car *allows* the car to turn a much tighter radius than it could if the trailer was unable to pivot.

in the same way the traditional ski tail cannot pivot sideways so it could be said to *inhibit* a tighter radius turn which is why the tail is forced to ' smear ' or side slip through the finish of the turn. a rigidly attached trailer would have to skid around a corner -if it could even turn a corner at all. so it seems to me the flex tail is *allowing* the ski to turn sharper rather than actively *helping* it.

now as i re read what i wrote i realize its mostly a matter of semantics but i do think the *trailer* analogy is valid.
  • dthatedthate Posts: 142 Baller
    Than_Bogan,

I completely agree with you, I was just wanted to sound smart like you....done

Than_Bogan
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 307 Solid Baller
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 307 Solid Baller
    Guess I can post that now
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,816 Mega Baller
    So -There is a lot of talk about how rewarding the ski is - especially when you are in the zone and skiing well. My question is: how does this ski penalize you if you aren't skiing well and not in the zone?

Based on the above picture it appears that the mechanism for "turning the backbone" is the fin itself. Does this mean that the ski is more or less affected by the fin setup? Will there be a leap and bound in the fin department in the near future? Very interesting concept - very intriguing!
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @Skoot1123 I am seldom in the "zone" and it still rewards!
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    Than_Bogan
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 213 Baller
    Water temp is going to play more of a role that ever to achieve proper tail movement....those nano-tube molecule can be very finicky. Instead of fin adjustments, you will need a thermally controlled tail sock (patent pending) to achieve performance adjustments.
    Matt
    jayski
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,615 Administrator
    @wawaskr funny but
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,861 Mega Baller
    I think the gods of big spray just groaned.

Wish
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,051
    This one time at band camp..............
    Shane "Crash" Hill

The_MS
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,110 Mega Baller
    The idea is quicker turns, with less power needed. That less power part is what is showing up in the less spray part....less resistance. I do love the fact that he keeps innovating!
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,819 Mega Baller
    Yeah, but I want to see a Flex tail ski with a Rocker Block and Side Force Enhancers. That thing should turn on a dime.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    dchristman
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    @ToddL ... and then add some metal teeth hanging down from the tip like Gordon Rathbun did many years ago... and a few ventrals for good measure. Call it "The Beast".
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Steven_Haines