Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Fix a Handle Pop

webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
edited June 2015 in Skis Fins Bindings
My new ski took a pretty bad handle strike tonight. Looking for any suggestions on the best home repair method. Thanks!

Comments

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,829 Infinite Pandas
    PlastiDip?

Sorry, seriously that's a ding! It looks like just the side edge. Fill the damage with JB Weld (not JB Quik) trying to keep as much of the chipped area intact and placed properly. Get a bar clamp big enough to span the whole ski. Wrap a piece of wood with visqueen and clamp the wood to the edge. This will keep everything straight and bonded well. If there is damage to the top skin, you'll need another clamp to hold the top skin down. Leave it overnight to cure. Trim carefully with a matte knife before you finish sand. If you need to trim a lot with coarse sandpaper be sure to wrap the paper around a wooden block to follow the original lines. A little black spray paint and it's good as new.

Good luck,
    Eric
    webbdawg99
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,065 Mega Baller
    Is that inside of of your onside or offside turn? Just kidding, but had you thinking for a second...

I've had some success with Krazy Glue when trying to get something like that to bond back together. Doesn't take up as much space as JB. Fill in remaining gaps with JB lightly sand flush and magic marker to match paint.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,745 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited June 2015
    If it is not structural this stiff works great and will not require any sanding. And will not cure till it is placed in the sun. I've done extensive work with it on a surf board and have successfully done a couple skies with that exact hit. Nice part is that is matches the bevels perfectly. Dries clear so may need to paint it or something. And you can ski it same day. Sorry about it being a long vid but well worth a watch.

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    webbdawg99
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,032
    2 part epoxy by JB weld (clear or black). It is very high strength and bonds very well. You can sand it to a good shine. With some patience and practice you can make it almost unnoticeable. I know, I have had to do it to every ski I have ever owned.
    Bob Grizzi
  • SethroSethro Posts: 259 Solid Baller
    I also use two part epoxy. I've probably done that repair 6 or 7 times.....ugh
  • MarkTimmMarkTimm Posts: 95 Baller
    Has anyone tried Fiber Fix?
    https://www.fiberfix.com/
    Mark Timm
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to try to fix it this morning. I just hope its cured in time for a set this evening!
  • skialexskialex Posts: 862 Crazy Baller
    Do what @ @eleeski says. Use JB Weld or 302 modified acrylate, do not use cheap epoxy or any kind of epoxy.
    Use bumper spray, SEM Classic Coat is great and it does not chip.
    Good luck
    Alex
    @skialex What is bumper spray?
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,656 Mega Baller
    I have been very happy with MarineTex, It comes in black and white. Also @eleeski recommendation for repair works great.
    http://www.marinetex.com/
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

webbdawg99Horton
  • skialexskialex Posts: 862 Crazy Baller
    @webbdawg99 SEM Classic Coat spay is designed to paint vinil and leather surfaces, it holds well and it does not chip. You can repair a worn leather steering wheel or a bumper or you can spray the bottom of your ski.
    It is also used by a ski company to finish the bottom of their skis and in some models the top too.
    I have done many repairs on ski dings and on the leather of my classic Mini Cooper.
    webbdawg99
  • 94009400 Posts: 600 Crazy Baller
    I had one just like that, fixed it with JB Weld 4 years ago still going strong. JB Weld has been around forever...it fixes everything.
    JB Weld and clamp applied
    image.jpg 1004.8K
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    And... Hope you are out ripping it up as we speak
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
    edited June 2015
    Negative @gt2003 I'm going to let it cure overnight before getting it back in the water.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,925 Mega Baller
    Bummer. I hope the repair holds.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,798 Mega Baller
    @webbdawg99 Please post a pic of the repair. I'm curious how it came out.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    @ToddL It's not perfect, but I think it'll do. JB weld, clamp, sand, paint.

ToddLGloersenJody_Seal