Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drop at one end or spin?

TdubTdub Posts: 256 Baller
Just curious. All these years I have dropped at both ends even when not in a tournament. Got me thinking, why stress by back on deep waters 6 times instead of 3. I'm not winded after a pass and it is probably a better workout if I only drop at one end. Rollers don't seem to be a problem and it also helps the boat get to speed on the short end of or site. Thoughts?

Comments

• DanoDano Posts: 164 Baller
    I normally spin if course allows for it. Some courses are situated such that rollers become an issue, so we'll drop to give them a chance to clear.

I don't find fatigue to be an issue either way.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    always drop, never spin. Allows me to reset for the next pass, and more often than not I'm changing the rope length.
    Jim Ross
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,820 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I always spin, 4-6 trips through - not a fan of the up and down, but I'm a recreational course skier. The course we use is a little iffy dropping on one end, although people do it.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 543 Crazy Baller
    I drop every time. Lets me think about my pass and talk with the boat crew. Plus the breaks at the end allow me to run more passes then if I spun. I ran a 10 pass set last time out, no chance that could happen if I only got out of the water 5 times.
    Broussard
  • WishWish Posts: 8,269 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    My entire body gives me the middle finger if I do not drop. It simply will have none of that.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Andre
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,156 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    drop
    Shut up and ski
    Than_BoganBroussard
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,277 Mega Baller
    always drop. Once took a set at sunset with bad glare and spun on the end and headed back to the west end of the lake after each pass. That set nearly killed me.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    Wish
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    I practice dropping at each end. It simulates a tournament stand up trick pass. I want to get that stand up mentality burned in my attitude. I do practice the spin occasionally just to remove variables on the off chance that I fall.

In reality, I'm old and weak with no endurance. The drop gives me a shot at getting enough out of my body. Plus, the rollers go away.

Spin slaloming? No way. I don't even want to have to ski around islands.

Eric
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    We drop at each end. When I was a kid we used to spin but not anymore.
    Mark Shaffer
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 744 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2015
    If you just want/need to build up strength and/or stamina, spin, otherwise drop. For fun, you could try shortening the rope while you spin.
  • hemlockhemlock Posts: 180 Baller
    I used to spin as a youngster too.
    Now I like to drop, just to get that extra breather and rest for the next pass.
    Especially as you take line lengths off. The pass is getting tougher, and you are getting
    more tired. I want that extra rest for the tougher pass.

It helps to have good equipment to get out of the hole too. Non dragging shorts and vest.

Having said that, if I crash at ball 1, I will usually get up going out the way I just came from
    and spin. :)

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,905 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Drop, but don't dilly-dally on the end - circle the skier, tighten up and go. That will work your endurance without dealing with unnecessary rollers.

If you have back problems with deepwater starts, you need work that off the water.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,710 Mega Baller
    When I was a teen we used to spin cuz we were not that good...increasing speed but not shortening rope. Thumb up or steady in the turn around and back in the course. Maybe 6 passes per set.

First real lesson I took we shut down on the ends talking technique. I skied 20 passes that set and only stopped cuz my feet were numb in the rubber bindings. Sat on the platform a bit with ski off and back at it. Soon I was into 28 off. Never spun again. Now I'm old and back to 6-8 pass practice sets with dropping on the end...I'd be good for 4 at most with a spin. I'd also be tired and my body position would suffer accordingly.

Ski sets strong or they become worthless. Drop on the ends, let the water clear, go back in strong and when you can't get in the boat...there is another strong set later.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    bsmith
  • SunlandSteveSunlandSteve Posts: 5 New Baller
    I always drop on each end, it's nice to rest for a minute and thick about what adjustment need to make to run the next pass. Also gives the water time to lay down some.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,596 Mega Baller
    Drop.It gives me time to think about all the things i did wrong.

Half an hour later,i go for my second pass... :wink:
    Than_Bogan
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 366 Crazy Baller
    Drop. I like to hear what the boat crew sees, think through the pass, refocus. I want to have quality practice sets. Only spin if it is for some sort of conditioning or trying to intentionally make the water rougher.