Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fin Adjustment for Better Onside turn

skinutskinut Posts: 410 Baller
What is the general rule of thumb for fin movements for the onside? Take out tip? My off side is dialed, but I am struggling with my onside. I am breaking at the wast at the end of the turn. The ski just doesn't seem to want to finish. I also don't feel like i am getting wide. But damn my offside is money. I have been making a couple of adjustments (.005 each time) out of the tip over the past few sets but it doesn't seem to help.

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,399 Mega Baller
    Try @OB plan first. But if that messes up your offside, consider putting the front boot back to where it was so that net move is just the rear boot back.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    for an alternate point of view you could try one of the recommendations given in a water ski magazine article from a couple of years ago. it was entitled ' how to set your fin for more powerful turns ' and for your on side turn they recommended two possible tweaks: less depth = more slide at the finish of the turn,
    fin forward = sharper, tighter turn radius.

Moving your binding is likely to affect both sides and removing tip is likely to negatively impact your *dialed* off side. the water ski magazine changes should theoretically affect mostly your on side turn. they also suggested making *tiny* adjustments -a few thousands at a time.

sfriis
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 719 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Generally if you have a great offside but a poor onside it means the fin is too big. Running a big fin will make the ski super stable and controlled but slow to rotate. That's exactly what you want on your offside turn, but is not great for the onside. I wouldn't be able to comment on whether you need to go forward or back without knowing more, but you can definitely take depth out.
    sfriisgjohnsonballsohard