Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now Here's A "Thing About My Wing"

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,734 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited July 2015 in Skis Fins Bindings
Right Foot Forward my offside has always been quite good but my onside not so good, nearly always get my hands taken away a little on the onside, after a recent coaching session I come away happy with the coaching but there was something niggling me about the ski, when I checked the fin, I found that it had moved, so after resetting the fin, I put it in the bag ready to go skiing again.
I hadn't skied for over a week and the first set I had was terrible my offside was poor, but all of a sudden my onside was to die for, the following morning I checked the ski and immediately noticed that I had fitted the wing the wrong way up (Flange closest to the ski) I have now corrected that with the flange towards the bottom of the ski.
So obviously the wing has quite an effect on the ski, I am trying to understand the dynamics behind the change when the wing was the other way round, so I can improve my onside with out losing too much of the offside.
My thinking is that or though the wing creates stability and drag it must also affect the attitude of the ski, purely by the venturi effect at the back of the ski, a convergent duct is always going to increase pressure and lift the back of the ski, if this is correct then with the wing set lower on the ski there would be less pressure at the back of the ski and the tip would ride a little higher.
If this was the case, would moving the fin forward to give less tip pressure on the onside and a little more tip to try and keep my good offside work or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

" My Arms Keep Going Numb May Have To Use My Teeth”

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,660 Administrator
    Roughly
    wing higher = more drag
    Wing lower = more stability and turning aid

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,734 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Horton so why the reversal of good turn bad turn, with the wing lower ?

" My Arms Keep Going Numb May Have To Use My Teeth”

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,660 Administrator
    Changeing drag changes the attitude of the ski.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• BoozeBooze Posts: 324 Baller
    My first Goode was a 9100. Early on, it tended to turn all the way around against the rope on heelside, and toeside would sometimes snap around so fast it hurt my ankle. I tweaked that thing for 3 years and finally settled on a perfect setup. One of the things was to flip the wing (blades up, flange down). I felt it settled the "snappyness" out of the turns and helped maintain speed through the turn.
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    i've posted about this here before. many years ago kris lapoint wrote a great article about fin position and how it affects what the ski does. if you search you can probably find the article in a thread here somewhere or even on line someplace else but i think @Horton should just go ahead and include it among the tech articles archived on this site.