Any interest in one way drain plugs?

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
edited August 2015 in Boat Talk
Long story short, I don't like the idea of having water sit at the back of my boat while it's on the lift but I don't like jumping in the water before and after I use the boat to install/remove the plug either. I started looking for a one way valve that didn't suck or even a remote drain plug that I could open and close from inside the boat. Well the remote drain plugs look good but are almost $100 so I went back to my standup jetskiing roots and contacted the owner of a product called the Versiplug which is basically a nice ball valve. I asked the guy if he made anything for a standard boat plug and he said he didn't make anything for boats at the time but was working on a prototype that would just screw into the standard 1/2"-14 NPT plug.

I'm not trying to sell these. In fact, they aren't even for sale yet to my knowledge nor do I know the price of one but the guy was super cool to deal with and I wanted to see if others were interested in this. These are the pics of it installed on my 2000 Malibu Response LX. This one is made of stainless. I've been on the boat for 5 hours in the last 2 days and haven't gotten even a dribble out of my bilge pump since installing it. Today, after 1.5 hours and 5 skiers/boarders, I didn't even have a wet spot under the engine.

E_TRAKBulldog

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,890 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited August 2015

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008AJYJ32/ref=pd_aw_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TFJX6R5NDBEYEMZNGVN

Something like this? I had a version of the one above on an 86 Bayliner. Only thing was that if you got anything in the bilge that could jam it up you would have a problem.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,517 Crazy Baller
    @oldjeep That seems pretty close to the same thing. Would probably mar up that piece with vice grips or pliers installing it but with all my looking, I never saw that one.
    edited August 2015
    I wound up getting rid of the one that came with the old bayliner because there was so much crap in the bilge from deteriorating wood and glass that it was periodically getting slightly stuck open. No idea who made the one I had, but it looked a lot like that bail r matic.
    Chuck P
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    @oldjeep would a screen over the inlet helped?
    @gregy I would think that would have helped a lot, and maybe not even be an issue in a boat that doesn't have a bunch of crap in the bilge.

Chuck P
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 562 Crazy Baller
    That's pretty slick! I would have liked one of those back in my I/O days.
    I love my Ski Nautique's plug which is located under the dog house. 30 seconds with the T handle and you can drain it. No tools required. I rarely take out my plug though. Once I see more than the usual amount of water from the thru-hull packing I'll pull the plug for the drive home.
    @BrennanKMN , problem with using the center plug rather than the transom plug is that you have to have the lift set up just right for the water to actually be under the motor rather than collecting around the rudder/steering cable. My boat has 3 plugs, but the transom plug is the only one that gets used.

What I don't get is why folks are not getting rid of the drippy packing and installing dripless water cooled seals like the new boats have. Pretty cheap upgrade, and no more packing nut adjustments.
    Chuck P
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 562 Crazy Baller
    @oldjeep , that makes sense. My boat has never been on a lift so its easy for it to drain on the trailer.

For the $200 a dripless packing seal costs I will adjust mine one a season and replace it every few. It's easy for me in a DD - 10 min job. In a V-drive I would have a dripless for sure.
  • east tx skiereast tx skier Posts: 598 Solid Baller
    Idea draws up images for me of an autobailer on a Sunfish sail boat.

Perpetual Longline Baller and curvy ski boat owner.
    My real name is in my profile.

• BroussardBroussard Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
    @oldjeep The old style packing is much easier from a maintenance perspective. Just tighten her up when she gets a little loose. The dripless packing has to be replaced more frequently and sometimes can require pulling the shaft to install.
    Andre Broussard | Action Water Sports | SkiBennetts |
    edited August 2015
    @Broussard - I'm not talking about dripless packing, I'm talking about a real seal - no packing. You do need to pull the shaft back to do the install of the new shaft seal kit. Good task to do in the fall when you are taking the shaft loose to check alignment.

This is similar to the factory setup on my boat:
    https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2182
    Chuck P
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
    @oldjeep Sorry, that's what i was referring to.
    Andre Broussard | Action Water Sports | SkiBennetts |
  • DekeDeke Posts: 408 Baller
    I put GoreTex packing in my boat 10 years ago and have only adjusted the nut, maybe twice. Doesn't leak and is still going strong.