14 Prostar steering cable/rudder washers

markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
I know i have rread something about adding washers for the PS steering but cannot find the post. Can anyone give some details on adding washers to the 2014 PS steering cable/rudder to help tighten the steering? I have no idea if my new boat will even need it or if its something that may have already been done or if its only needed on certain 14's?
Thanks, Mark
Ski it if you can!!!!

Comments

• GarnGarn Posts: 586 Crazy Baller
    I didn't know you got a new boat Mark! What year is it?
  • GarnGarn Posts: 586 Crazy Baller
    Oh.... never mind. 2014
  • jrsjrs Posts: 105 Baller
  • jrsjrs Posts: 105 Baller
    That is a shoulder bolt in the image. The washers take away the space where the lock nut stops on the shoulder. Adding the washers allow you to clamp the cable at this location. There is no need to rotation in this joint but you must have rotation in the vertical axis. Most 2015 boats won't need this modification.
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @jrs looks like an easy fix. Could you notice the difference after installing the washers?
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • DWDW Posts: 2,409 Mega Baller
    @jrs: when you have some down time you might consider putting one of the washers on the bolt head side, another option would be a shorter shoulder ss bolt & eliminate the extra washer, as one washer on each side is a good idea.

Side note: I noticed a lack of locking tabs for the engine mounts on a new PS I looked at which could allow the engine to lose it's alignment & noticing above also a lack of washers on the bolted connections.
    E_T
  • skihorseskihorse Posts: 3 Baller
    FWIW we moved the steering cable on our buddy's 2014 to the inner hole so it takes less steering input to move the rudder(in @jrs pic above). To us it was a big improvement for the driver. If you don't like what you get it's easy to put back.
  • greggreg Posts: 40 Baller
    A word of caution when moving to the inside hole. On occasion this can allow the rudder to turn into the prop at full lock with the wheel. Check and re-adjust is necessary.
    Greg Chapman
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
    Thanks for the heads up @greg i will not be moving to the inside hole knowing rudder and prop can hit!!!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    Not saying that it will do it in all cases, just something that needs to be checked.
    Greg Chapman
  • skihorseskihorse Posts: 3 Baller
    @greg guess we got lucky.. We have run it for a year that way. I will check clearances at lock.
  • DWDW Posts: 2,409 Mega Baller
    @greg and @skihorse: You should be able to put a simple stop in the cable to keep that from happening, kind of like a circular cable clamp to limit travel and avoid the oops.
    I assume that it would be a matter of adjusting the support tube in the pivot clamp to limit too much travel one direction.
    Greg Chapman