Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boat and gate cameras

Should there not be a rule that stipulates that in a rankings tournament, the boat camera needs to be HD (min. 720p) and record at (lets say) 120fps? That way it should be easier to tell if a skier did or didn't go round a buoy, when reviewing frame by frame? I'd say the same goes for the gate cameras too. The reason I say this is because there have been instances where the quality of the freeze frames haven't been that great and therefore makes the final decision subjective.

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,547 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited August 2015
    @skiwoody that make some sense and it pretty easy to obtain but getting that signal transmitted to the shore where it can be reviewed efficiently is the problem.

Also, a boat camera is only required for Open and Masters divisions (AWSA). In fact it's only needed to confirm a record. It CAN be use elsewhere but it's not required.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • skiwoodyskiwoody Posts: 18 Baller
    @klindy Sorry - I should've been a bit clearer. I'm a UK skier so when I said a 'rankings tournament', that is only type of tournament we hold when a camera in the boat is required i.e. for approving records.

Agreed – transmitting from the boat to the shore will be the issue. Although, my mate has a drone which flies a fair distance and that transmits a live video feed straight to his iPad so he can steer / fly the thing. I’ll ask him how that works. Not sure how easy it would be to live pause and rewind if a review was required though. One for someone techy to figure out!
    No problem. Here in the U.S. we'd call that a class L or class R tounament. Even in a class L (IWWF rules) a camera in the boat watching the skier is not necessary. There are rules on how to use I and review the video.

I'm not sure if the Waterski Association in the UK has different requirements.

Either way you're right that the new drones have some pretty good ability to transmit a clear high quality signal. I haven't seen too many of those same electronics available as a stand alone component.

Also even with a high quality camera a challenge is getting a pylon mount to work well without the shaking and jitter. Different styles of skiing also cause some slack line which makes the ultimate picture quality less than perfect. Of course you can always put a camera operator in the boat too.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,056 Mega Baller
    Does a boat camera have a better view of the gates than the end course cameras? That is assuming it is handheld and not pylon mounted where it might shake and be a little behind the skier.
    Mark Shaffer
    @Chef23 the boat camera doesn't have any better view than the boat judge really with the exception to playback and slo-mo. However it does have a better view than the end course camera.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • auskierauskier Posts: 457 Baller
    The reality is, that we don't have the money to make sure the right call is made a lot of the time. Everyone knows a story where a bank full of people see things much differently to what the judges have scored something. Much of it does come down to quality of picture and frame rates they are having to judge with.
    The technology isn't a problem, its just costs a lot of Benjamin's. The sad thing is, we basically need professional grade TV equipment to do things optimally.
    http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_403&products_id=3080&zenid=5254a09ce923a0123d1b7e22b8f0eaf8
    Toby
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,232 Mega Baller
    To add to @auskier 's point. There isn't enough money riding on the outcome of the judges calls to justify the expense and headache of being able to get it right 100% of the time. Heck, MLB went years without using replay and there was real money riding on those calls. They still use the good ole human umpire behind the plate to call balls and strikes - see it one time, make the call and move on.

One area I would change - In most major sports, if the judges/referees/umpires disagree on the call, they get together and confer - discussing who had the better angle, what exactly did they see, etc. In skiing, the majority rules - regardless of ability to see the call.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    ski6jonesdisland
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 889 Crazy Baller
    From my experience Splash Eye has the best review of gates and automatically replays the gate at the end of the pass. If you ever get a chance to go to Okeeheelee, go to the judges tower or in the clubhouse and take a look. It is very clear.
  • auskierauskier Posts: 457 Baller
    @skierjp while splash eye is a very good piece of software, it is still an analogue feed going into a capture card, the same basic principle that the Corson programs have run for the last 15 years and then some. Splash eye currently does not allow HD input. While some sites have mastered it to the best it can be (such as okeeheelee) the image quality and frame rate is still old technology.
    Toby
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,232 Mega Baller
    @skierjp I have seen the Okeeheelee setup. They have a video professional that they worked with. They were able to get some high quality analog equipment. I agree it works very well but it is beyond the budget of many clubs.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,445 Mega Baller
    I vote that we Get rid of all slalom cameras for everything except Open world record
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    MattP
    @disland you can do that now....just need two more judges in the right place.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    santangelo