Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best ski ever

The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,132 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame

What was your best ski ever? I cant tell you how many cuts I put on my Tech-1back in the day.
Shut up and ski
HortonPorkfightBlueSkiWishBulldogA_BG8torBjriester33

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 8,241 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Good 9700 ran 39 in practice (doesn't count) October of 07. I sold that ski... Stupid stupid stupid. Shoulda had it stamped with 39 and wall mounted.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,900 Mega Baller
    Tough. My Nano One is the best performing ski I've ever owned. My lifetime tournament PB came on a 9900. But I think the subjective title of Best Ski Ever goes to the 9100. That's the last time I ever picked up a new pass just by changing skis. And that ski completely changed who I was as a skier. Before that ski, Nationals was my lifetime goal. Since getting on it, I've been qualified for almost every Nationals except where injuries or conflicts prevented it.

Probably there's a little bit of coincidence in there, but I'm certain I will always remember that ski very fondly.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,437 Administrator
    Thinking I should get a TECH-1

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

The_MSMattPGlydonMDB1056
  • skibummskibumm Posts: 106 Baller
    Maybe not the best ski ever. But I have a fondness for the Connelly shortline 1982. It was the first ski I bought with my own money and I loved it. Still sits in my office.
    andjulesCooper_Trelawney
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 445 Crazy Baller
    The Tech-1 had a great spray....so did the Obrien W.T.C.
  • PorkfightPorkfight Posts: 180 Baller
    edited August 2015
    Jobe Open Class. My dad looked a lot better on that than I do on my wiz bang carbon fiber stick.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,132 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I free skied for over 10 years on the Tech-1. Back in the late 70s before all the activity on Lake Wacoinia, you could ski 5 miles without turning the boat. I still have it on the wall next to a set of Tech 1 trick skis.
    Shut up and ski
    RAWSki
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,251 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Taperflex Apex.....was an eye opener....some say it was the beginning of the modern slalom ski shape. Loved that ski!
    andjulesHorton
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    My first slalom ski. Wood Connelly Hook. Think it was 63". Spent hours and hours on that thing. It was stolen or I would still have it.
    @webbdawg99 Monzas, I have 3. I was torn on what to name the thread topic, best ski ever, all time favorite or most time spent. Hard to compare the fun I had free skiing on glass for 5 miles to PBs and buoy count.
    Shut up and ski
    Onside135
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 843 Mega Baller
    Perhaps coincidentally, http://www.creakyrowboat.com/ posted a throwback-thursday ode to the Kidder Redline yesterday. My recollection was that people said the Taperflex Apex was the first ski that accelerated, decelerated and turned well, and the Redline was the first to do all 3 smoothly.
    Bruce_ButterfieldGlydon
  • TELTEL Posts: 418 Crazy Baller
    My first real ski, a wooden cypress garden little monster. I still have my tech-1
    The only thing I noticed was the nice Cypress Gardens ski bag/tote.
    Shut up and ski
    Are there more pictures of the TECH-1?

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

MattPandyr
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,190 Crazy Baller
    First demo set on my RS1 I ran a 2 buoy PB. Ran 22, 28, and 32 off on the first year I rode that ski all for the first time. Went to nationals for the first time on that ski and sadly it crapped out on me there. Inserts came out and brought the glass plate and carbon with them. I still have it sitting in my room!
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,619 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Definetly the Goode 9100. Ski'd on it just over an season and thought the 9200 is a must have. Still have the 9100! Best scores at both 36 and 34. Probably couldn't even get up on it today!!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    scotchipman
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,436 Mega Baller
    edited August 2015
    HO VTX in 94. I picked up 2 passes in 2 seasons on that one. Whistled in the turns on my toe side too.
  • bojansbojans Posts: 292 Solid Baller
    The first year KD7000, black and purple. I bought the ski the spring after a really bad tib fib fracture not knowing if I could ski that year. I ended up with a full pass increase in my PB.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,302 Mega Baller
    Actually, the 9100 because it was the biggest game changer for me.... but Kiki and the 9500 was pretty awesome too!

scotchipman
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,164 Mega Baller
    It's a tie between 9100 and 9500 for me. I'd have to give the edge to the 9100 just for being first.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    scotchipman
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,633 Mega Baller
    EP FX-200 our first real slalom ski. CR7 was awesome for me at the time as well. Have liked a lot of the KD and D3 skis.
    @skibumsam you are confused that is a barefoot step off ski!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • skibumsamskibumsam Posts: 72 Baller
    @6ball wouldn't have to worry about release on those bindings. Can step right out of that rubber!
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,063 Mega Baller
    It was probably my 64" EP Comp 1 I got when I was 13. I ran 22 off at 36 mph in that ski. It was my first non wood ski. I still have the ski and the matching life jacket although the jacket is trashed.
    Mark Shaffer
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 219 Solid Baller
    2005 KD Platinum, 68"......balsa wood core and all......
    Wait you guys are serious. ..

Most consistent up to my PB = Warp 14
    Most forgiving all the way to PB = Nano One
    All time practice PB ski = Green Vapor

MattP
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    My all time favorite has been my 2012 strada, I did see this ski recently for sale on one of the local buy and sell, I didn't realize k2 made waterskis, but it looks cool !