New Connelly Binding looks interesting ...

GlydonGlydon Posts: 231 Baller
edited September 2015 in Skis Fins Bindings
Almost looks like it should say Nike or Reebok on the side , definitely should allow the ski to flex under foot from the little I can see so far!
Tagged:

Comments

• Mo2204Mo2204 Posts: 28 Baller
    @Glydon I don't think that those little pillar like things will change anything about the ability of the ski to flex under your foot compared to the boots we have now. Simply because as far as i can see there still is a plate under the boot.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    I would like to see some real information about them. I haven't seen any so far.
    Mark Shaffer
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,890 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Better picture here

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Glydon
  • NandoNando Posts: 594 Crazy Baller
    Radar- style release or no release?
  • WishWish Posts: 8,423 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 126 Baller
    Yeah - where is the release?
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,766 Mega Baller
    @Glydon I agree they should let the ski flex more. Looks like the plate is only under the toe & heal.
    Glydon
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,794 Mega Baller
    looks like a copy of the Radar Vapor to me
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    They look really tall. The hardshells they made based on the Fogmans were very tall.
    Mark Shaffer
  • GlydonGlydon Posts: 231 Baller
    @Chef23 in keeping with the Connelly tradition of tall boots I agree they are tall. @Bill22 that is what I noticed in my original post was the "elimination" of most of the plate material so by design they have to let the ski flex more. I would love to try a pair of them , my current rubber bindings are not setup to release so it is a non-issue for me. After a front out, back in fall I have worn my bindings SUPER tight as I would rather fall with the entire ski still attached!
    @richarddoane If they don't have a removable heat molded liner, I don't think you can say they are a copy just because both are a hybrid closed toe boot.

By just looking at a photo it's hard to make an option. We don't know what the frame is like or how stiff they are.
    RichardDoane
    @The_Krista do the bindings release? It is tough to tell.
    Mark Shaffer
  • The_KristaThe_Krista Posts: 113 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Chef23 no they don't...they are not a hardshell / release system...they are more like how Radar's closed-toe bindings operate...once you're in...you stay in! (My personal preference:)
    Glydon
    edited September 2015
    @The_Krista thanks going out to the girl that "defined" marketing for water ski bindings. Beauty and Brains !
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,449 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @The_Krista Which are you wearing for your wedding? Hard shell or traditional rubber? Personally, I think the colorful new Connelly binding will not go well with your dress, but probably will work best on the dance floor.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    nleuthThe_Krista
  • EFWEFW Posts: 158 Baller
    Non-releaseable bindings? -----NO-----DFI!
  • EFWEFW Posts: 158 Baller
    Laces another SFI!
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 863 Mega Baller
    @The_Krista you said "they are more like how Radar's closed-toe bindings operate"... as in RS-1/Strada/Vapors? An inner liner that releases from the outer boot? Or like the Radar Profiles? (more like a wakeboard/traditional boot... your feet come out when the fall is hard enough). Which is it?
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 572 Solid Baller
    Not to throw @the_krista under the bus but all Radar boots are releasable. I thought this to be true but confirmed just to be sure. So to make everyone aware here, what Krista said about Radar boots isn’t true, they’re all made to be safe and release in the event of a fall. I can’t say that about these Connelly boots, I know I trust my Vapor boot though! 
    Rob Quetschke
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,986 Mega Baller
    @rq0013 I think there is some terminology confusion here. On the one hand there are boots where the entire boot releases from the ski somehow. On the other, there are setups where your foot releases but the boot stays in place. I think all that is being said about these new Connellys is that they fall into the latter category.

There are also true non-releasable boots: no way to ever get off the ski. I do not think any major manufacture sells such a thing, but a handful of skiers have made their own and prefer that. Personally I think they are completely nuts.

To me, these new boots look like they would be impossible or nearly impossible to release in a lot of important situations. But safety/performance tradeoffs are very personal, so judge for yourself.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Bill22
  • 94009400 Posts: 646 Crazy Baller
    I'm assuming the lime green basket looking contraption along the bottom of the boot is the release mechanism, and the whole boot comes off...but that's just a guess.
  • TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 551 Crazy Baller
    My Connelly Talon bindings have two separate laces on each boot -- one for the top of my foot and one for the ankle area (as many bindings of this type have). The boots were shipped to me (new) with the non-stretchy laces in both the top and bottom sections. First thing I did was take those laces out and replace them with the bungee laces that were also supplied as an alternative for the top section. There were no bungee laces supplied for the bottom section.

I have since modified my lacing further by not using the highest lace loops over the bottom section because even with the bungee laces around the ankle cinched loosely I could not get my foot out of the binding with the lower laces cinched snug enough to feel like they were supporting my feet. I can't imagine the heavy impact I would have to take for my feet to come out of these bindings if I used all the lace loops and used non-stretchy laces in both top and bottom. Perhaps Connelly is actually producing bindings that are not designed to allow your feet to release from the ski?
    @9400 skip up 8 post, they don't release like hard shell.

I think @Than_Bogan has the answer to a little confusion. I could not think of how to put it in words.
    No springs or moving parts = no release "system" (release like rubber bindings)
  • 94009400 Posts: 646 Crazy Baller
    @Bill22 I see that now, thanks.
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 702 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2015
    Purely theoretically - two not releasable boots might be pretty safe setup.
    Hardly can cause twisted knee, ankle or achilles injury and/or hamstring problem.
    Like snowboard or wakeboard with not releasable boots.
    OTF and other kinds of falls is another story which may happen with any boot system.
    If in addition to that, if not releasable boots on releasable monoplate it is probably the very safe construction. IMO.

On a wakeboard had problem only once - when one foot slipped out from boot and board twisted my knee.
    Unregistered
    Wish
    @Than_Bogan I am nuts ... D3 Leverage tightened way tight ... had a one in one out one time and it was not pretty , had I stayed in I would of been ok. All that really got hurt was a swollen knee and some bruised ego!
  • WishWish Posts: 8,423 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @OldboyII ....Amen ( nothing is 100% safe )

@Than_Bogan I've been called worse. ;)
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    GlydonThan_Bogan