Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I crazy or is it Nautique that is insane?

escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 718 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Alright folks, let's look at the two beautiful boats below as examples. One is nautique, one is malibu.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=34208

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Promo_Boat&postid=34446

Notice the Malibu tower doesn't go much if at all past the windshield, and therefore, will not impede shortline skiing. Now notice the Nautique tower way back there where it seems like the rope would start to hit it as early as what? 32 off?

Now I don't plan on skiing shortline any time soon - I'm just not good enough. But if I'm keeping in mind nothing but resale, I have to realize that I have just eliminated every single shortline skier from my list of potential buyers when I do go to sell this boat in a few years.

Tower haters, don't bother here, some of us simply must have a tower and we aren't going to compromise. You aren't going to talk us out of getting a tower. With that being said, how is it that Nautique is going to market saying "you can either have a tower, or you can ski shortline, but not both."? Malibu clearly gets it. Nautique clearly doesn't. Is there something I'm missing?

This is sensitive to me because I have owned an older nautique now for 3 years and I LOVE it. Every time I drive my boat, ski behind my boat, or even look at my boat, it just makes me love the name nautique more and more. However, looking forward to the future of what my next boat will be, it seems that Nautique has pulled themselves right out of the running, because I'm not willing to try to resell a 200 at the same time eliminating from my group of potential buyers, anybody who thinks they might ever even try 32 off. Now my buyer pool looks like "people who care about skiing so much that they still buy an inboard instead of a small v-drive, but also people who aren't very good at skiing, probably will never be, and probably will never take any guests who are very good at skiing." I understand that I am in that group, but that group has to be just teeny tiny right? There is no way this Nautique with the tower will hold its resale value right?

Am I crazy? What am I missing?

Comments

• escmanazeescmanaze Posts: 718 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Mastercraft appears to be right in the middle. The tower ends behind the pylon, but it looks like it isn't nearly as far back there as the Nautique is.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Promo_Boat&postid=30930
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 374 Solid Baller
    The MasterCraft 197 could be optioned with the mini-tower or tournament tower that would not impede short line skiing, or the full tower which would. The new Prostar tower does not impede shortline and the tower is easily removable.
    Andre Broussard - Louisiana
  • jimskijimski Posts: 399 Solid Baller
    edited October 2015
    We have a 2011 200 with the same tower. I am currently skiing -32 not running it yet but have seen 5 ball a couple times and the rope never hits the tower. I have pulled skiers up to -38 of and no problem. We also do a fair amount of jumping with guys up to 160 ft the rope will hit the tower on both sides but does not impact the jumper. The price is a little crazy
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 697 Crazy Baller
    A Response can be optioned with either the tubed tower you have shown or the type that Malibu puts on their wakeboats. The wakeboat style tower they offer mounts in approx. the same location as the pictured Nautique. Never seen a factory Nautique tower were the mounts go no further than the windshield.
    @Dacon62 There is a TXI for sale here in Utah with the wakeboard tower on it, and I just can't imagine who in their right minds would put that tower on a TXI when you could put the tube tower on instead.

@jimski That is really interesting to hear you say that you aren't running into the tower at -32 and you haven't even had problems at -38. If you have a chance again to pull a skier into -38 with you boat, please do post the observer seat video so we can all see where the rope is in comparison with the tower on that 38 pass.

Jimski got me curious, so I went out to google searching for videos. Here is one that seems pretty enlightening. It looks like Regina at one point set a world record behind a TXI with the tube tower, so we get to actually see at the different rope lengths how close the rope is to the tower. At 38 off you can see it is getting to where it is about a foot away and then at 41 off at 1 ball it looks like the rope is just a few inches away from the tower. At 35 off it certainly seems like the rope is still quite a ways back there. The other argument that I guess could be made is that when the skier is actually at the ball, the rope is never tight anyway, so if the tower deflects it just a bit, maybe nobody worries about it.

If it's true that the Nautique tower really doesn't bug anybody clear up into 38 off, then it's suddenly actually a really nice tower to have because it doesn't get in the sight lines at all and seem to be totally out of the way. It seems safe to say that anybody who is skiing past 38 off shouldn't be buying a 10 year old boat from me anyway, they should be sponsored and competing heavily behind promo boats every week.

P.S. That blue on white on that Nautique might be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. That makes my heart race a little.
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 697 Crazy Baller
    @escmanaze , hey my friend optioned his factory order 2014 TXi with the wakeboard style mounted tower. He loved the longline wake and never intends on skiing competitively but wanted the tower to hang the kids toys on and likes the way it looks.

Lots of room on the green loop
    aupatking
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,052
    Buddy of mine has run 39 1/2 off behind a 200 with a tower. Rope barely touched there. But didn't impede his skiing any.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Not sure the resale value would really matter in one sense. If you sell to a serious shortline skier, they will likely just take the tower off. That is what I would do. If you sell to someone that wants the tower on there, no harm no foul since it looks like no problem anyways for the majority of skiers. If you mounted a bimini it might be close to those locations as well. I am not sure it is really a big deal?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    BrennanKMN
  • JGrayJGray Posts: 63 Baller
    On my 2001 Malibu Response I had to move the bimini mount to connect to the windshield because when pulling good jumpers they would hit it. Never pulled any short line skiers that actually hit it but did pull some into 38' that were pretty close. Plus when setting the skier down at the end of the lake it would always hit.
  • acmxacmx Posts: 239 Baller
    Off topic but.....The Nautique owner says the boat stickered for 103,000+.....WOW!!!!!
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,052
    My buddy who's the GM for a big Malibu dealer sold a TXI two weeks ago that had a $107,000 MSRP with all the options that were added to it.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,961 Mega Baller
    That is insane. I wish I had 107K to spend on a boat.
    Mark Shaffer
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 351 Solid Baller
    Obviously everyone has a different opinion but I just don't like how the tower looks on the 200. I hate the squiggle design. It just seems a bit harsh. For some reason the Malibu tower looks cleaner and seems to flow with the boat better. Plus the bimini looks better on the Malibu tower. I happened to be in the market for a promo this year and I took a hard look at that Kansas boat. Very nice. The CC tower was so decisive that ultimately my wife and I decided that if we bought the Malibu it would have a tower. If we bought the 200 then no tower. I ended up buying a 200 (picking it up this weekend).
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 352 Baller
    its even more confusing given that CC owns the patent for most if not any Flight control tower frame design, utilizing four connection points on the base and then a tower connecting to the base (Malibu boat), yet they choose to go with the 2 point solid frame tower, which I believe is owed by Malibu. The design of the 200 makes it seem difficult to get any tower in line or in front of the pylon.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Form over function... When given the choice between a passionate but ugly 200lb woman who loves skiing and is a good cook vs a beautiful woman who only wants to ride in the boat and can't cook, the choice is usually the hot girl with rationale thrown out the window. Granted for a reputable company it obviously takes a conscious decision to purposely degrade functionality for the sake of aesthetic purposes.

Both cases are stupid.....but I understand. haha
    @Dacon62 That's exactly me too, I'm just like your friend, but I guess I was scared that there wouldn't be very many of us and therefore the boat might be hard to sell. However, seeing the evidence that @jimski posted, if you're getting all the way to 38 before it even starts to touch it, that's a lot different than touching it at 32. I would venture to say that once finished being a promo boat, probably 90% of the TXIs, prostars, and 200s will never tow a successful 38, and probably almost that many will never try. That 90% number probably goes way down if we change the 38 to 32.

Still, the purist in me just finds something to love about the TXI with tower that has video of it towing a world record and not touching the tower. Nevertheless, the practical person in me should probably win this battle and realize that I am part of that 90% and most likely, the person looking for a 10 year old 200 that is open bow and has a tower, is probably in that 90% as well. The 10% folks are looking for a closed bow with no tower, and preferably not 10 years old so mine is the wrong boat for them anyway.
    aupatking
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 740 Crazy Baller
    FYI, all 200s are built with all the support under the gunwale to install a tower.
    escmanaze
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 605 Crazy Baller
    74K for a 14 200 is nuts it will never sell for that price. If it a 200 you end up purchasing as mentioned above you can add a tower of color choice and save 5 to 7K.
    escmanaze
    edited October 2015
    Paid $4
    $41500 USD for our 200 team edition with the tower and trailer 2011
    escmanaze
  • DWDW Posts: 2,021 Mega Baller
    @jimski: what is the purpose for the net on the far side and is the device on the top of the lift cover a solar battery charger?
    @DW the net is just to stop the rain from coming in on the east side. It is a solar battery charger for the 12 volt lift tec lift motor to raise and lower the lift