Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supra Comp 1985 ts6m

Howa1500Howa1500 Posts: 137 Baller

Definately was ahead of its time, does anyone know the stock settings for the wake plate or how far down its supposed to be set. There is no way the wake should be that big right? No stringer rot and no soaked foam in the bottom. I guess I'm confused why the wake is so big, can anyone help me out. Thanks ballers

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 7,273 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Dead flat with hull.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    chrisroddy
  • Howa1500Howa1500 Posts: 137 Baller
    Really? I thought with the plate down it flattens the wake, could be wrong @Wish
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    No matter what position that plate is in , the wake should not be that big at ski speeds. You have something going on there. But yes slightly down typically lifts the rear and would flatten the wake.
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    What speed is that? Looks like mid/upper 20's.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,145 Crazy Baller
    What prop are you running? What RPMs at 34 MPH?
    Blood type IPA
    @Dacon62 30-32

@Zman just the standard stock three blade prop
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,032 Mega Baller
    I ran a Tige SLM 2000 for a couple years and the best wake was with the plate dead flat. I'm with @Wish on that one.
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5224390344.html
    Brother, I just solved your problem
    The plate on the boat is dead flat and the wake is surprisingly large @aupatking
    aupatking
    I agree that something is wrong. That looks like a mid 20's wake. It's been a lot of years since I've skied behind a TS6M but I remembered it fondly. I don't think that would be the case with that wake in your picture. I'd go incrementally down and up and see what you get (obvious) but you aren't getting any worse than what you've got (obvious again) and I don't see any guidance online. Take a sharpie to the threads to monitor the changes. Props do make considerable differences, as @Zman was asking. Have you paid attention to what your RPM at 34, Or other speeds are?
    Good point...what rpm are you at for the various speeds?
    You should be at 3400 rpm or less at 32 mph.
    If not maybe your speedo is messed up and reading a higher speed then you are actually traveling at.
    Have you calibrated your speedo through a slalom course?
    Dano
    Don't know what my RPMs are but I don't have a problem with my two speedos reading differently @Dacon62 @aupatking
    Report back with speed and rpm data...something smells here.
    edited October 2015
    get a GPS app for your phone or assume your speedos are correct, RPM is still a more important gauge of whats wrong, so see what its turning at 30, 32, and 34, versus what it should. I'm at the end of my knowledge here as it pertains to a Supra though, and their owners forum says about what we've all said here. The owners manuals do say a 1/4 inch plate adjustment is drastic. I will say, an old prop, turning too many rpms is not giving the proper upward or forward thrust. I'd be very surprised to find the prop 100% at fault though.That is, if the plate itself cannot rectify
    It also appears you have some imbalance in the boat side-to-side. Can you get the wake to level out by getting the boat balanced? Verify speed with GPS app as suggested, along with RPMs at several ski speeds.
    You say the plate is dead flat. Is that your calibrated eye, or using a good straight edge like a level?
    With boat and wakes balanced, then try plate adjustments in small increments starting with slightly upward on trailing edge and record your results with pics of the wakes.
    Curious, how many people (and other weight) in the boat when pics were taken? May want to consider removing rear seat to take some rearward weight out (wood frame seats are kind of heavy).
    I loved my old Comps in the day, except the "22 off bump". The 22 bump seemed like a right of passage back then. If you could edge your ski well enough to make it not seem quite so bad, your skiing was improving.
    The ts6m Comp had an interesting hull design. On one hand, driving the front V-hull down (plate downward as @Wish noted) made a smoother ride, and improved the wakes for slalom - up to a point. The more you drive the bow downward the more drag you created. More drag required more throttle and prop RPMs, which then began to hurt wakes and performance. So, this is not "more is better". There is a sweet spot for setting the plate. Somewhere near flat, but could vary some from boat to boat.
    Good luck! Keep ue posted.
    Blood type IPA
    Speedo could very well be the problem, I mistyped on the other comment. My speedos do read two different speeds at times. When I was skiing on our other boat 36 seemed pretty fast, but on the new(old) supra I feel like I could go 40 and it still doesn't feel as fast
    As a very general rule most boats of that era turned x100 rpm of the speed they were going. 32 mph = 3200 rpm, 36 mph = 3600 rpm. If your rpm gauge is functional just set your speedos that way for now until you have the tools to fine tune it. Any early Supra ts6m owners please chime in.
    chrisroddy
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @aupatking when ever you find a boat with "PV" on the bow........ I would likely walk away. In NY State that stands for public vessel. Basically kids camps, schools, and stuff like that. I worked for a camp for a while...... NEVER would have bought a boat from them! Buyer Be Ware!
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    aupatking
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 472 Crazy Baller
    Heres the manual for an 89 comp. Page 22 says cavitation plate flat for slalom. http://www.supraboats.com/sites/default/files/downloads/manuals/89_comp-conbrio_owner_manual.pdf
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
    Yeeup.... Flat.
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 472 Crazy Baller
    If you know where theres a truck scale I would weigh the boat. Dry weight without trailer should be 2185 lbs according to NADA Check the seals around those supertrapp mufflers. They are prone to leak.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
    andjules
    edited October 2015
    They put foam between the stringers. If you're floor is even a little soft you can bank on taking the wood floor out in handfuls after the carpet is pealed back. The foam supports the floor enough to walk on but it's really the foam you're standing on. Foam will hold water but the wood holds a ton. I replaced my floor with a composite one.

But still think you need to do 2 things suggested. Use GPS on phone to determine actual speed and put that plate flat with hull. Then report back.
    DanoWaternutEd_Obermeier
    The plate is flat with the hull though, that's the problem
    edited October 2015
    @GOODESkier that's good info. That thing has a 302 in it as well. Good candidate for a repower, but the price may be high for that. I just love those bubble butt tsc's. Sorry for taking us off topic
    The plate is flat with the hull though, that's the problem
    Like @Wish and @foxriverat are noting, verify for sure that the floor has not soaked up water, and yes those old SupraTrap mufflers almost always leaked eventually. If boat has taken on water and soaked the flooring or dead space under it, making it heavier, wake will suffer a lot.
    Blood type IPA
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,459 Crazy Baller
    Those old speedo's are adjustable so you can calibrate them using a hand held gps. I had an '87 and the wake was pretty great. I ran the plate ⅛" down from dead flat.
    A lot of people say how nice these old supras are.......I just can't figure out why the wake is so big. Can the plate being too far down make the wake bigger?!?
  • DanoDano Posts: 100 Baller
    I would take @wish advice and get a GPS app for your phone to make sure your speedo is correct. The size and shape of the wake in your pic looks similar to my wake ('89 centurion falcon) at 24-26 mph.
  • GregHindGregHind Posts: 289 Baller
    @Howa1500 yes if it is too far down it will make a rooster tail like the one in your photo. Is it level with the bottom of the hull, as measured with a straight edge or not?