Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is an Event? What is a Pro Event? What is a tournament?

HortonHorton Posts: 29,711 Administrator
edited October 2015 in Rules/Politics/Issues
As I start down the road organizing BallOfSpray events I see a lot of confusion about event categories. My definitions are as follows. My definitions are far from perfect but I think they give some structure to the conversation.

A Pro Event is a tournament with significant cash prize that exists for the marketing benefit of its sponsors. The target audience for a Pro Event are people who are not already involved in tournament skiing. A Pro Event is organized to provide entertainment and sell product to spectators. As with bigger sports, the athletes fill the role of entertainers. The bulk of the prize money comes from the sponsors. Moomba, The Malibu, and The Masters are examples of successful Pro Events.

A ski Event* is not a Pro Event. Most ProAMs, the BigDawgs and the Centurion BallOfSpray Cash Prize are examples of Events. The target audience for an Event are people who are already involved in tournament skiing. Ski and boat companies may support Events but most of the prize money is generated from entry fees.

A tournament is any other water ski tournament that exists mostly for the competition itself. The US Nationals is a HUGE tournament.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who cares about these definitions? Why bother?

As I read in another thread about the US Open I see a number of disconnects. the US Open is a Pro Event. The 4 ball course and the terminology used in the announcing, the conditions and the format are only a success or a failure if the non-skiers on shore were entertained and intrigued by what they saw. A Pro Event sponsored by Nautique only exists if Nautique thinks it will sell boats.

If the audience Nautique wanted to reach is skiers who are already involved in the sport then putting on the tournament on a sub par site with a 4 ball course is a pointless expense. It would have been easier and much more cost effective to do that whole thing at Jack Travers.

*If you have a better term than “Event” I a all ears

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

andjulesThan_BoganSkiwoodgateBulldogbishop8950klindy

Comments

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,482 Mega Baller
    spectacle
    [spek-tuh-kuh l]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    noun
    anything presented to the sight or view, especially something of a striking or impressive kind:
    The stars make a fine spectacle tonight.
    a public show or display, especially on a large scale:
    The coronation was a lavish spectacle.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Horton
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,598 Mega Baller
    That's what Freddy did. Krueger.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    RichardDoaneHorton
  • WishWish Posts: 8,136 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Pretty sure no one from the public walked up to the Nautique tent and asked for a blue one after being "entertained" aka confused. Baffles me that they keep the same yr in and yr out. But I did here from a vender that I've been talking to about helping for next years format. He said he totally understands that if he gets involved he wont sell a single item (100% slalom related...100%) but understands the marketing value of being the "Official Supplier of ..X.. For the U.S. Open". So maybe some/all of these big companies do not need to sell product at the event. So why bother catering to the public or even puting it in front of them..thinking out loud here. Have no proof.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,711 Administrator
    @wish my point is that it is totally different audiences.

I have heard that Malibu believes they have sold boats because of the of the Malibu open. I assume that Nautique believes they sell boats because of Moomba and the the Masters. Those boat sales are NOT to BALLERS. Those sales are to new or casual skiers.

On the other hand the BigDawg exists to sell boats to us not to the casual boater.

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• WishWish Posts: 8,136 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I'm guessing being able the say "The Malibu Open" is worth far more then Malibu having the sale of a boat or two and would argue that the title is what brings buyers. My Supra said "World Campionship Tow Boat" accross the back via factory sticker. Maybe bragging rights trumps on site sales...totally guessing but seems more plausible.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 507 Crazy Baller
    The ideal "event" in my mind should be webcasted, and that be the focus audience for sponsors and marketing money. When MC brought the Pro Tour back and webcasted it almost 10 yrs ago, that was some branding power. That also reaches the target market, and done right, highest volume of viewership.
    Wish
    @unksskis I am for webcasts and would like to see more in the future but there is simply not enough viewership to justify dumping a ton more money in. The ROI just does not pencil out.

• unksskisunksskis Posts: 507 Crazy Baller
    Understandable. That more in regards to whether to put on at a sub par site, or at a premier site, premier site with webcast is best in my opinion.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,135
    WebCast has little value to sponsors. You're going to get, what..... 300 viewers?
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@ShaneH exactly

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,291 Mega Baller
    From the 1959 book Water Skiing For All by Walter N Prince.

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,414 Crazy Baller
    I know this is kinda stupid to even mention TV coverage, but with all the cable/satellite channels available and some of the obscure sports and events seen on them, you'd think there would be room for water skiing. Heck, I even stumble on ESPN sum suffix with three year old football reruns on.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,854 Mega Baller
    Paid webcasts..? Band marching competitions charge $25 per user for grandparents, etc. to be able to watch their special one perform. Maybe collegiate nationals has that same opportunity. Other events, probably not.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.