Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Books about Skiing?

Are there any good books on how to become a better skier? Especially ones that talk about the science+math behind skiing perfectly.

Comments

• HayKHayK Posts: 3 Baller
    I need books. I was asking to see if there is enough info out there to do a research project.
    I was going to research running and biology stuff like respiration, but thought skiing would be cooler.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    I am not aware of anything current.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,096 Mega Baller
    From 1959...
    wtrskior
  • auskierauskier Posts: 456 Baller
    I read this book cover to cover DOZENS of times.

Toby
    ALPJr
  • LLUSALLUSA Posts: 283 Crazy Baller
    Ben Favret wrote the Complete Guide to Waterskiing with Dave Benzel
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
    ALPJrBroussardSkoot1123
  • WishWish Posts: 7,982 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Dang, @ToddL, that's almost a library. Did not even know that many WS books existed.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Than_BoganZman
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    I'm pretty sure that I am missing about 15 or so, too. I started collecting them about 20 years ago.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Wish
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,098 Mega Baller
    edited November 2015
    I don't see "Ski Tips" -Tony Krupa 1978 or "Waterskiing" = Kenneth Stephens 1977. You certainly are an enthusiast!
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    @toddL If you wouldn't mind at some point documenting the books and authors, would love to build a library myself! I picked up Ben Favret's book a few years back, it is likely the most applicable to modern skiing and very in depth. Good book.
  • HayKHayK Posts: 3 Baller
    Thanks guys
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 833 Mega Baller
    Also missing Joel McClintock's Complete Instructional Guide to Water Skiing from the early 80s. Was fantastic for it's time, covered everything, but the trick section was particularly good and much of that section still holds up well.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,098 Mega Baller
    @andjules no, I see that in there, too!
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    andjules
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,094 Mega Baller
    @toddl that's actually a cool collection!
    ToddL
  • jayskijayski Posts: 898 Mega Baller
    @ToddL ... @SkiJay wrote the book not me... @Horton syndrome of confusion is rubbing off on you
    ToddL
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited November 2015

www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    BulldogALPJrSkoot1123Obrienslalom
    As I am going through my old books, I found some early 60's AWSA materials. Did you know... in 1961, AWSA membership was $5/yr and a life membership was $100? Wow. In 2014 dollars, that $5 membership is equivalent to $40 when adjusted for inflation. That lifetime membership is equivalent to $780 today.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    MattL
    @dchristman - I have that one (Ski Tips by Krupa). It was to the far left and accidentally cropped out of the picture.
    dchristman
    If you want to scan the collection or submit a book that isn't on the list, you can use the links below. (@wtrskior )

The List of Water Ski Books:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0YM3ZreZhCxrncRCXhniiV_bFTR-on-aoY4CjLBfhc/edit?usp=sharing

To add a book to the list:
    http://goo.gl/forms/WthSOq4n9R
    wtrskior
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 833 Mega Baller
    I stand corrected, @dchristman !!
  • TDLTDL Posts: 19 Baller
    From Skiing on Water by Jack Andresen 1950

9400ALPJrescmanaze
  • bbirlewbbirlew Posts: 172 Baller
    Didn't Mike Kjellander have a book 'power slalom'?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    @ToddL what an awesome collection. I have 4 or 5 books some from when I was a kid and a couple of the more current ones. I stared looking for more current ones to try and get my son more interested in reading but it didn't take for him. I loved reading them when I was a kid.
    Mark Shaffer
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    I have Joel McClintock's book, Tony Krupa's books. I also have John Gillette's and Ron Scarpa's books on bare footing. I also have Kent McMillan's book on kneeboarding.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,698 Mega Baller
    Rossi once mentioned that the best book he ever read on how to water ski was Warren Witherall's "How the Racers Ski." I pointed out that the book is written about snow ski racing in the 80's. He said just substitute "water ski" for "ski" every time you see it, and that's how to water ski.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,698 Mega Baller
    @auskier I just had dinner with Camille.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    edited July 2019
    I saw a new book this weekend: The DNA of the Water Skier Champion by Maria Victoria Carrasco. I haven't been adding to my collection for a couple of years, so I need to step up and grab some of the newer books, including the Fin Whispering 2nd ed.

The List of Water Ski Books

Add a book to the list