Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best video camera and mount.

walleyewalleye Posts: 197 Baller
edited November 2015 in Videos, Photos & Media
Kids needs are using it on their heads, doing what ever. Mom and I want to put it on the pylon and get quality video.

Comments

• jdarwinjdarwin Posts: 1,381 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited November 2015
    Wake eye - I have an xtc for sale if interested. Brand new. $200.

[email protected]
    Joe Darwin
    walleyeBuoyChaser
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    Wakeye and GoPro 4 Silver in 1080 narrow mode. It's an idiot-proof, bullet-proof combo.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    MattPwalleye
  • walleyewalleye Posts: 197 Baller
    @jdarwin does the camera @skijay recommended fit your mount? If so I wil be getting in touch with you.
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,024 Mega Baller
    edited November 2015
    "Kids needs are using on their heads"- I think you're referring to a wearable camera like a GoPro in that case and there are a million options for mounts for that camera.

However, that is not a camera for pylon-based recordings of skiing. Too wide of an angle. For recording slalom I still think the best camera is an old Flip MinoHD. Easily found on eBay for cheap. That camera on a home-made PVC-pipe-based mount or even a Wakeye with a standard threaded mount is totally killer and affordable. I'd suggest MinoHD + PVC Homebrew mount as the best low-budget solution out there for pylon video.

Last year we fell in love with the Wakeye system and have started taking video with our cell phones and the Wakeye app. The smartphones take good video but the most crucial aspect is the Wakeye app which auto starts and stops the videos based on boat speed. No more video edits, no more asking the driver to hit record or ask if the camera is recording, etc., no more running out of memory. Just a HUGE timesaver. Turn on the app on the phone and ski. Then you can pull the videos into Dartfish Express right on the phone and analyze ad nauseum. So cool. If you have a decent smartphone and the budget, Wakeye mount + smart phone + Wakeye App will change your life.
    walleyeBuoyChaser
  • DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 479 Solid Baller
    Wakeye and JVC GZ-HM65 camcorder. It should give you a closer up view than the GoPro. The drawback is that the video itself is of slightly lower quality.
    walleye
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    I have that JVC camera. It was recommended by a few folks because of its steady cam function. The one issue is that the SD card slot is access from the bottom. Thus, depending upon the size of the mount foot, the card slot access might be blocked while mounted. No biggie unless your ski buddy brings his or her own SD card to swap out.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    walleye