My surge brakes slowing quite working over the last 6 months or so. I took a look last week and found that the master cylinder wasn't working. After looking at individual parts cost and considering its a 1999 trailer I decided to purchase the complete assembly hitch and all. Its a UFP model A-60 which I think is used in many of our trailers. I order the assembly from trailerandtruckparts.com which they were the lowest price I could find and they had it to me in 4 days so happy customer.
This is where the fun began and the warning I want to pass along. There are 2 pins, about 3/4" OD, held in by snap rings that hold the hitch assembly to the trailer frame. These pins were completely rusted into place and this boat has never been near salt water and been taken pretty good care of. The front one took about 30 minutes of beating and coating with penetrating oil to get out. The rear took almost 2 hours of beating, twisting, heating, spraying with penetrating oil, it finally broke free.
From here on out I'll be taking these pins out and putting grease on them every year. Also I read online that the brakes should be bled 2 times a year which I never did in the 4 years I've owned the boat. I put Dot 5 silicon brake fluid back in it. I've been using it in my offroad truck for years and its cut down on brake issues a lot.
If you trailer brake look like what's below. I'd recommend taking a look at the pins.