Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Calipers

GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
This season I have decided to start learning about fin adjustments. I have Fin Whispering, which I am looking forward to reading. That said, I am going to need a set of calipers. What do you suggest? I looked on Performance Ski's website and they have one from Radar and one from D3. They look similar, but the D3 calipers are $30 more. I want to buy a nice caliper that is going to last a while.

Comments

• gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I know @skihard has a really nice set of digital calipers. Rod, hook this gentleman up!
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • WayneWayne Posts: 564 Crazy Baller
    I would also recommend the slot caliper. It makes getting repeatable DFT measurements much easier.

However I was taught how to use the old vernier calipers so I use a normal 8-inch caliper with the analog dial. No batteries to replace so it always works. If there was a non digital slot caliper I would have bought one.
    jimski
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,892 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited March 2016
    I finally broke down and replaced my old dial calipers last year. Here is probably the best caliper you can get for the money. Almost as good as the mitutoyo at a fraction of the price. Look at the reviews, particularly the video comparison.

Calipers HERE

Happy now @gt2003?
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,321 Mega Baller
    Keep the Glock handy when adjustments fail; it will make you feel better.
    @Bruce_Butterfield = Long Link Panda...
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 568 Crazy Baller
    I agree with @Bruce_Butterfield . bought me a pair a few months ago. work great
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,189 Mega Baller
    Calipers right?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Texas6
  • pregompregom Posts: 327 Baller
    I too bought the same caliper that @Bruce_Butterfield mentions. It works great. I was able to check the "factory setting" of my Radar Senate. DTF in particular was way off...
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,005 Crazy Baller
    I have a pair of harbor freight cheap ones for 12yrs. tips and depth are spot on to a friends goode slot calipers DFT is different on every caliper.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,241 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    A Harber Freight just opened up 4mn from my house. My garage will be so chuck full of cheap tools...including some new calipers.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    bkreis
  • GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting more technical in my skiing.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    edited March 2016
    I finally decided to get a nice caliper last year.

Mitutoyo Coolant proof
    skialexBrennanKMN
  • 303Skier303Skier Posts: 468 Solid Baller
    I've been using a harbor freight 8" digit caliper for 5 years. Works great!
    bkreis
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,321 Mega Baller
    Recognizing your problem is the first step.
    skialexMattPCWiedmer
  • GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
    @skialex I have to ask why? And no slot caliper in there? It seems like the standard is to not use the slot caliper?
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 843 Mega Baller
    @skialex you might be the best person to offer a first-hand comment on what we might notice between cheap & fine calipers, and to what extent it makes a difference?
    skialex
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    Before Fin Whispering released, my ski buddies called me Dr. Caliper. I respectfully relinquish this title to @skialex. Very impressive!
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    skialexBill229400block
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,111
    I have found more variance in digital calipers (especially the Harbor Freight type). I stick with dial versus digital. Personal preference.

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/Dial-Calipers/Slide-Calipers/Precision-Hand-Tools/Precision-Measuring-Tools/3202-8
    Bob Grizzi
    @skibug nooooooo....Crap!.. there goes my plans to use my Harbor Freight gift card and hit the new store down the road. May do it anyway just to see how they compare to my dial style.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,200 Mega Baller
    @Glock forth from the top is a slot caliper, I use it only for Goode skis.
    @andjules yes that was the idea behind this picture. I gathered all the calipers I own and one from a friend, took a random ski, measured depth as it is the most consistent and no good skills are necessary.
    The results were very consistent with all calipers but the cheap one had to be zeroed and checked many times, whereas with the Mitutoyios one try was enough for a confident result( l always check more than one).
    Today is a bank holiday and I will do the length, DFT measurements and report back, there will be deference at least with the 12' coolant proof and the slot caliper.
    @SkiJay maybe Dr caliper but you are the Fin Whisperer, your book is the best ski literature ever, thanks I read it cover to cover!
    @skibug my dial caliper is great but takes more time to see the readings and sometimes I misread.
    SkiJay
    Ok I have used my calipers a lot over the years but never before measured a ski with all of them at the same time. The ski I used was very flat around the fin and had no wing on.
    Length reading was exactly the same with all the Mitutoyios including dial and the 12", slot caliper also gave the same reading (tips).The generic one gave a -0.003 difference and I had to repeat and zeroed it many times.
    DFT, I put the ski tip down, clamp it and leveled it and used the heads method (even with the slot caliper) numbers were consistent, only the 12" gave a 0.005 difference, I believe due to its size (not only longer but proportionally larger than a 8"). The generic gave me a hassle again to end up with the same reading as the others, this is not good if this is your only caliper that you trust using.
    Overall I have to say that it worth spending money on a Mitutoyio 8" digital or dial (if you can read the numbers) and a slot caliper if you're riding Goodes or both if you are a fin tweaker like me.
    You have to trust your instruments And be able to put correct factory or shared numbers iand work from there with confidence if you want to.
    Wish
    Wait, are you saying I gotta drop well over $100 to get a decent pair of digital calipers???
    skialex
    @skialex is one of your calipers the iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN ? (see link to Amazon in the comment from @Bruce_Butterfield above). That's the caliper I bought last October and, given it's my only caliper, I'd like to hear your opinion on how much trust I can have on its readings.
    @pregom I do not know, which one you mean on the picture?
    All the 8" Mitutoyio give me results within 0.0005. Tell me which one and I'll check it tomorrow morning at my garage
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,132 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    edited March 2016
    And we all wonder why the numbers set at the factory are off when you get a new ski.
    Calipers are all different, start with factory numbers and tweak from there. Any good set of calipers work as long as you are comfortable using them. You will get accustomed to any good set you buy. I have been using the Goode dial caliper since day 1.
    Shut up and ski
    skialex
    @skialex I bought is this iGaging caliper. If you have it too, I'd like to hear how it stacks up against the others. Thanks.
  • ntxntx Posts: 838 Crazy Baller
    edited March 2016
    @skialex do you realize that .003 is about the thickness of a piece of paper. The instrument is only as good as the user. Most of you are worried about the wrong thing. I only use my CMM to set fins

I would look for carbide tips on calipers. They are difficult to find but will last forever.
    skialexCalisdad57
    @pregom The iGaging caliper looks very similar to Absolute Digimatic calipers I have and I'm pretty confident that it is one of the finest measuring instruments. If it is a 8" then you have an excellent tool and you would not want anything else unless you are riding A Goode.
    Maybe due to the nature of the sport the absolute best is the 8" coolant proof, if it getmoist the numbers go crazy but it's usually an easy fix f you wipe it with a dry cloth.