Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phantom 4

Want to get a drone this spring. Was wondering if anyone has tried to record a run with the new phantom 4 with active track or any of the new drones with follow me feature. Any thoughts.

Comments

• 303Skier303Skier Posts: 468 Solid Baller
    i had the Phantom 3 and 4. Honestly I thought the p3 tracked better but the p4 has much higher top speed which would be great for slalom. The tracking feature works pretty good but I would track the boat, not the skier. If you want hands free, go with p4. If you want to fly it more and be the guy behind the controls go with the p3 for hundreds less.
    Cusefan78
  • Cusefan78Cusefan78 Posts: 80 Baller
    How difficult would it be to track the boat without the software. Could I hand the controls over to a novice and they can figure it out. The reason why I'm leaning towards the p4 is so I can click on the boat, jump in the water and ski without worrying about a buddy running it into a tree or the lake.
    edited May 2016
    Just for an example, I created this video after 10 times flying my P3A:

VIDEO

I'll be honest, I never tried flying the drone, getting ready, skiing and having the P4 track me. It would be very difficult to do without a few ppl helping. Not impossible but you risk crashing the unit or having the battery dying while skiing.
  • ski6ski6 Posts: 52 Baller
    edited May 2016
    Check out the Solo Drone from 3DR. I previously had the Phantom 2, and then upgraded to the Solo last year August.

Solo has a follow mode (which has just been updated). It simply tracks the controller.
    I tested it before it was updated and it worked well at the slower speeds however at the fast speeds such as 36mph(58km/h) the drone is to slow to react and accelerate as the boat accelerates. At our site, which has a short set up, this is a problem however with a longer and slower run it it may work better.

However I found using the Solo, "Cable Cam mode" works really well.
    Basically you set two points and then Solo draws a straight line between those points and it will only fly along that line. it will no adjust the altitude or go beyond the end of the line thus you don't have to worry about crashing into trees, water etc.
    So I set a point above the gates at each end and you just have someone trigger the "play" button to initiate the drone so that it starts flying along the cable - Just need some practice on the timing but simple enough to do.

A great feature of Solo, is that you have full control over the GoPro(Ie. you can trigger recording, change settings etc from the controller). My favorite is to do, burst mode, which takes 30 photo's over 3 seconds for some epic pics.

I posted some clips and photo's on my Instagram using it - @skitrav

There is also the air dog drone- I think there a thread here about it. Here is the video of it -Click here
    Follow me - Youtube:skitrav | Instagram: skitrav | Twitter: skitrav | Facebook: Travis Fisher | Snapchat: skitrav - Weekly GoPro Tips, Mounts, Reviews and Videos! HO Ski's All the way!
    I have looked at both the 3dr and air dog. The air dog is out cause I want to be able to fly the drone around and take pics and videos. The solo is nice but I feel the limitations are with the GoPro. Feel like the phantom camera is better quality and won't give you the fish eye effect the gopro has. Out of curiosity why did you decide on the solo over the phantom 3?

303skier won't the phantom auto return when it gets low on battery ?

Thanks guys for all the input
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 705 Crazy Baller
    Whew, for a moment, I thought HO was bringing back an old ski.
    Cusefan78DragoMattP
  • ski6ski6 Posts: 52 Baller
    I tend to look at it the other way. Although the Solo is currently limited to the current GoPro at the moment, they are busy developing new cameras for it(they already have working prototypes) and hopefully GoPro release the Hero 5 soon, so there is plenty of change coming if you don't like the Hero 4 camera.

The GoPro quality is fantastic. You can also do 4K, super slow motion(120fps etc) but you do have the fish eye effect. The pictures are good and burst mode for water skiing from the gopro is ideal.

The biggest reason I chose Solo over the Phantom 3, is that I could continue to shoot with my gopro(not only good quality but a 500 USD saving) and with Solo, it's a film makers dream with all their modes creating better cinematic shots. Also all my videos feature GoPro Only. :)

Either way you will enjoy it!
    Follow me - Youtube:skitrav | Instagram: skitrav | Twitter: skitrav | Facebook: Travis Fisher | Snapchat: skitrav - Weekly GoPro Tips, Mounts, Reviews and Videos! HO Ski's All the way!
    Cusefan78
    @Cusefan78 I did almost two years of research before I bought my Phantom! Sure the customer support sucks but if you buy from a really good dealer, they will be all you need for customer support unless it's warranty related.

Dji is the best in the industry and I think their products and apps are hands down the best. Quality and design. The Phantom 3 and 4 have return home features but I've seen them fail before in some youtube videos. I've never had an issue but I don't like putting a $1500 dollars bird under the control of the app!

You can't go wrong with the P3 or P4, they are amazing machines and have fabulous 4K Sony cameras on them!
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm kind of torn between the solo and p3p. I see pluses and minuses with both. The solo I really like the preset record modes and you really can't say anything bad about the p3p. Really love the p4 but by the time you out fit it you're well into 2k and I feel that's a bit much for a toy that is basically a cleaned up version of the previous years model. Anyways I'm kind of at flip a coin mode between the two.
    @Cusefan78 got with the P3 or P4!! You won't regret it. @MarcusBrown uses a p3p and does amazing things with it! Don't tell him I said that though, he's kinda a jerk!
    @303Skier got the p3p. Going to play with that for a year. If I use it as much as I think I'm upgrading to the 4 or whatever is out then. Does he use the p3p in follow me mode?
    303Skier
    @Cusefan78 Not sure what he uses? @MarcusBrown is this enigma that you only see on instagram and social media. He never responds to anything :D

First flight over the lake