Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphite v Lithium v Carbon

coxjoncoxjon Posts: 43 Baller
So call me thick, but looking for a steer here.

Looking at new skis and there is the obvious material build differences.......Graphite v Lithium v Carbon. However, is there a clear ride difference when weighing up what material a new ski shuld be made of? Ive only skied on my Senate C (carbon) so unsure what the others would offer.

Comments

• fu_manfu_man Posts: 420 Crazy Baller
    Graphite=carbon. Senate C =senate graphite. Lithium is also carbon skin but with a PVC core. PVC is lighter and more responsive than what is in the graphite and alloy models.
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 754 Crazy Baller
    I have similar thoughts for the Senate.
    Is it more, better etc carbon in the Lithium models compare to carbon models?
    At what ski level does one pick up more bois with the Lithium, pvc core models?
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks @coxjon for bringing this up. I'm sure many of us who are newer to the sport are wondering the same thing. I'm interested to hear the replies.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
    warsaw_ski
  • coxjoncoxjon Posts: 43 Baller
    from what fu_man says, the Lithium model clearly is different due to a lighter core. This also shows in the pricing, especially of the new 2016 Senate.

Im an intemediate skier and sometimes just get a bit bind blown at all the options available.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,822 Mega Baller
    @eddie_roberts_jr - care to share the specific construction elements of these various Radar skis?
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @eddie_roberts_jr , the difference that the average skier might notice from one version to the other
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,852 Administrator
    edited May 2016
    I will take a swing at this and then @eddie_roberts_jr will correct it.

All the skis come from the same mold. The only difference is the materials. Better materials means a better ski experience. The Lithium has the best possible core and is all carbon. As you add some glass or downgrade to the PU core the ski is a little slower and less snappy.

The Lithium is built with the best stuff money can buy
    The Graphite is all carbon but with a downgraded core
    The Alloy is a carbon/glass blend with the downgraded core.

So does the Graphite suck? Nope. In fact I sort of wish I had one. It might be a touch more forgiving than the Lithium. Given a choice I would go for the Lithium but if you are learning 15 off get the darn Alloy and spend the left over money on lessons (from Matt Rini).

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

gsm_peterwarsaw_ski
  • StickmanStickman Posts: 35 Baller
    So the Lithium Senate is not being made in the USA like the Vapor?
  • 303Skier303Skier Posts: 468 Solid Baller
    What is a GOODE? I thought it was carbon composite? No core?
    Jarrus Steele - Orlando, Florida
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,852 Administrator
    edited May 2016
    @303Skier I almost gave you a panda for a nonsensical post. This Thread is about the different versions on the Radar Vapor.

All high end (top of the line) skis are carbon fiber laminate on the outside and PVC (or similar material) core on the inside.

The only exception to this is the super ultra rare WONE from the guys at Warp. That's ski is carbon fiber with no core.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• 303Skier303Skier Posts: 468 Solid Baller
    edited May 2016
    @Horton sorry i missed that man.
    Jarrus Steele - Orlando, Florida