Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new IWWF Placement Ranking list

HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator
edited May 2016 in Rules/Politics/Issues
I have long been an critic of how the Elite List is calculated. That is why @MattP and I cook our own list every year. See BallOfSpray 2015 list and methods here.

I am super happy to see that the IWWF is at least looking at a new ranking method. See here. I believe this method is FAR superior to the current / official Elite method. I do not know how this new method will be used but I hope it becomes the new standard or is the prototype of the new standard.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Tagged:

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator
    edited May 2016
    Offical Text Below

06May16 IWWF introduces experimental placement ranking system

The IWWF has created an experimental Placement Ranking List. Skiers earn points based on the place they finished rather than the performance. Also factored in is the ranking of other skiers in the tournament if they are in the top 60 and the type of tournament.
    Click here for a detailed description.

The rankings use the tournament data submitted scores and are dynamic, being updated every midnight and using scores in the preceding one year period.

As the system is experimental, it will be evaluated and modified as necessary. The goal is to replace the performance ranking with the placement ranking to reflect the importance of competition rather than raw results.
    IWWF Experimental Placement Ranking System

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Jody_Seal
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,885 Mega Baller
    WOW!!!! IWWF doing something to improve and encourage competition??? I will have to go check and see if SRB is freezing over!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

HortonBruce_ButterfieldMattP
  • DanEDanE Posts: 898 Crazy Baller
    edited May 2016
    This sounds like a move towards how alpine skiing always been doing it.
    Makes sense, a big score when nobody is there should not rank as high as a win when the rest of the pack is present.
    MattP
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,885 Mega Baller
    SRB did not freeze over!! Funny though I talked to a couple supposed in the know high level IWWF Guru's and they knew nothing about this. Just goes to show again how BOS is ahead of the game on current info for the sport.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

rico
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,177 Mega Baller
    It's interesting that the list includes all Class L tournaments and also includes all skiers at the tournament skiing at 36 mph and all trick and jump scores in as a single class. It isn't limited to the open skiers. Also, more tournaments (up to 5) count which encourages tournament participation.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • nleuthnleuth Posts: 45 Baller
    I guess we would really have to ask ourselves what the goal of the rank list actually is. Is it based on pure score, or a skier's ability to perform at tournaments where there is more on the line like in a placement tournament. I looked up where I fell in the example and honestly didn't think it did a great job of representing my skiing compared to others. I received 300+ points for skiing a tournament last year where I ended up falling at 35 and was placed 8th against some great competition. Another tournament where I set a new M2 regional record with a score that was 13 bouys better only got me 50 points. Just some feedback on the system that I noticed that I figured I would share. Might want to weigh some points on performances unless the goal is to get people to attend more of these elite tournament and the carrot in this case is chasing points.
    jcamp
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Other than for World Cup races, the snow ski ranking system is a bit complicated, and
    needs a good bit of math to figure out the race "penalty" and your points score. There
    are also penalty adders for races other than World Cup, where things like the vertical drop
    and the winning times don't meet certain standards.
    But, it's worth a try, starting out as a parallel ranking system. Roll those computers!