How do you balance your skiing with life.

WishWish Posts: 7,716 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
aupatking

Comments

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,476 Mega Baller
    @Horton, where is that "Too much time on my hands" video? Wish seems to have a lot of that!
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Onside135Wish
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,580 Crazy Baller
    I think it's harder when your wife doesn't ski.
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
    WishHortonaupatkingchrisroddy
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    Skiing is the catalyst for balance in my life. I'm better all the way around when I'm skiing. My wife knows this about me and when things get really stressful for me at work, or with life in general, she pushes me to ski more.
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    LovellozskiSteven_HainesWish
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,781 Mega Baller
    When skiing is your life, there is no decision needed.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    sunperchAndreWaternut
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 314 Solid Baller
    Between my family life and weather...not enough time on the water. When I can ski, it does makes me very happy and the family likes it so it is a good balance
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,035 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    It can be tough. Most often it's very quickly and efficiently done. If it weren't convenient I probably wouldn't ski much.
    Working in some noon hours and some holes in the workday this year as a ski buddy now works from home and is very flexible.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Not difficult this year as trying to sell the house and move etc. I just have to make those the priorities. But, my other half skies so its' not that difficult. It may be a different story once we get moved and there is a ski lake within 10 miles.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,027
    I don't balance it....skiing consumes me; as long as my family is safe, healthy, and fed.
    Bob Grizzi
    Fast351
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,763 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I generally ski way too much April through September, then shut it off and do other stuff over the winter. Pretty sure I would quit if I tried to ski year round.
    jimbrake
  • DanoDano Posts: 114 Baller
    Balance? Choose to ski and go do it. Everything else will balance out.
  • MSMS Posts: 5,151 Mega Baller
    If I am not at work and it is calm, we go ski and deal with whatever later.
    Shut up and ski
  • RichRich Posts: 252 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Balance, if you want to be good you cant be balanced, you will be lucky to stay married... water skiing is a time consuming repetitive motion sport Good luck with balance
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 800 Crazy Baller
    I ski at lunch so it does not get in the way of family
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Balancing the two is not possible. Probably 80% of all ski sets occur for me at 6:30am before work with my wife, and sometimes other family members. I'm gone all day, then at night free to do what the rest of the family would like. Weekends I ski early mornings at another site typically with my son. Home in time to make breakfast for the family and enjoy the rest of the day. Like @6balls -- it is all business when we ski. Skier changes happen very fast, ski sets are all business, back to the dock, off to work. Someday I hope I can slow down and actually take my time!
    Jim Ross
  • lcgordonlcgordon Posts: 282 Baller
    I have a tough time balancing slalom, trick and barefooting.
    Texas6jipster43
  • xratedxrated Posts: 506 Solid Baller
    I thought once we had a boat it would be ski every time it was calm like @MS turns out the hassle of launching and pulling prevents that. So maybe when we have a lift and it is 5 minutes to lower and raise the boat it will be go time.

Plus the wife and 2 kids ski and the other kid loves being in the boat so it doesn't steal away from family time!
  • MSMS Posts: 5,151 Mega Baller
    @xrated You have the perfect set up going. The family that plays together, stays together.
    Here is a good tip for you youngsters out there. Dont marry a person that does not like to ski. Pretty simple.
    Shut up and ski
    WishxratedSkoot1123
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,079 Baller
    edited May 2016
    Single at 47. I have not had to answer that.. Skiing is probably why I am single. Finding a woman who has any interest in boating and being out on the water is almost impossible.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    jetpilotg4
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    I think the title should be.... How do you make others balance out their lives so they can ski more often? That's my biggest problem. Too many people have other priorities and I need a driver.
    thagerIlivetoski
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 777 Crazy Baller
    I believe the saying is "ski the course, get a divorce".

Be an adult and ski after taking care of the family. I say that because I'm justifying not skiing yet this year because of family health issues and working weekends.

Besides, missing out on skiing leaves you wanting to ski that much more. :)
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,168 Administrator
    I convinced my wife that skiing was my business - Literally.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

WishToddLaupatkingkeithh2oskier
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,430 Mega Baller
    Balance? Why bother?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Horton
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 731 Crazy Baller
    A happy wife = happy life.

Listen to the small warning signals and keep count on them.
    When figure go up do wife things to keep figure within limits.

Applies to all men things an not only for skiing.
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    gt2003
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,890 Mega Baller
    I am pretty lucky. I live on a lake with a slalom course so frequently I can ski in an hour with one of my buddies. My son really was in to skiing until he was about 14 or so (his focus has shifted to lacrosse for college) so we went to tournaments together and my wife and daughter used to go to our beach house. The last couple of years I have been busy during the summer with lax tournaments so we haven't skied many tournaments but I can still get on the water.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_Bogan
    Me and my ski buddy are out and back in under an hour. My wife realizes this is far better than a golf hobby
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    The other thing is that I don't ski many tournaments anymore. I love going to them -- it's social, it's outside, I get to watch great skiing, talk to everybody, etc. However, as one of only two tournament skiers in a five person family, I can't leave every weekend for a tournament. So for now I squeeze them in when I can usually once or twice a season and just try to enjoy the time I get on the water early mornings during the week and on the weekends.
    Jim Ross
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,781 Mega Baller
    Lol, @Texas6. My wife equates my skiing to golf. Since we don't live on the lake, and my son and I ski multiple events; a trip to the lake includes: 20-30 mins travel, boat launch time, 5 ski sets, boat wipe and put away time, and 20-30 mins travel. Add all that up and it can be a 3-4 hour outing.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Texas6jimbrake
    Yep, that's exactly like Golf actually....Just tell her the 19th hole is home for you, and those pesky golfers stay and chat all day, which makes you a better husband than any golfer...
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,205 Mega Baller
    @ToddL show your wife what greens fees cost these days. In my area, around $80 each, is probably the low side average. I'm betting you guys aren't dropping anything near that.
    I try that angle all the time. See honey, skiing is cheap!