Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going to ask it...What does each allen screw adjust on fin?

gt2003gt2003 Posts: 705 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
I've got some good literature on fins, wings, settings etc. What I am lacking (or can't seem to find) is, what does each allen screw adjust? My new alloy vapor is pretty darn close to recommended settings. I wasn't afraid to adjust the DFT by loosening the phillips head screws then retightening. But, I wanted to tweak the depth and length a little but I was hesitant to mess with the allen screws as I wasn't sure what each one did. Is there a tutorial I'm missing out on?

AND, do I set the DFT only then tighten down the phillips screws THEN adjust the depth and length with the allen screws?

Thanks all
2014 HO TX
1996 Malibu Echelon

Comments

• DragoDrago Posts: 1,250 Mega Baller
    @gt2003 . The Phillips are just to keep the fin block on the ski. Keep them tight.
    The Allans on the side keep the fin tight in the block, loosen the 3 of them a bit to start adjusting. The two Allans on the top (set into the block) will push the fin down (right turn), or allow the fin to be pushed up. More length= front set Allan "tighter", more depth = rear Allan "tighter". The very rear set Allan will push the fin forward (by "tightening").
    Make adjustments, tighten the 3 side screws, and ski.
    However, I wouldn't move a fin unless you have a result in mind.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    Horton
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,662 Administrator
    Once you start down this project you need to know how to measure all three dimensions. There is no loosen and blinded adjust one dimension

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,566
    edited May 2016
    And if the ski is a Connelly you need an understanding of the dark side. #iskiconnelly #nosetscrews
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

MattP
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,456 Mega Baller
    edited May 2016
    search this on youtube:

How To Set Up Your Radar Waterski Part 1 by Chris Rossi
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 276 Solid Baller
    The Chris Rossi tutorial on youtube is great
    How To Set Up Your Radar Waterski Part 1 by Chris Rossi and part 2 Good luck
  • skialexskialex Posts: 746 Crazy Baller
    Buy finwishspering!
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 705 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks guys. I bought calipers and wing gauges so was just playing around last night. I'll rewatch Rossi's video today, I may have missed the above info in the video. I certainly don't plan to be a fin tweaker, at least not until I get much better and understand it more. I'll leave those recommendations and adjustments to those who are far more versed in this than I am. I just want to have the knowledge to check standard settings before I ski each time. The guy I ski with is very versed in this thing so I will take Rossi's stock settings Saturday and have him double check them for me. I appreciate the info
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,722 Mega Baller
    I haven't finished the FinWhispering book, yet, and this might be covered there. However, I am curious which setting does everyone set first.

I set DFT first. Then, I set depth. With these two near where they're supposed to be, I can tighten the back clamp screw enough to hold these positions. Now, I can start working on fin length / leading edge. What do others do first?
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    edited May 2016
    Well if you already turned any of the screws, you will need to become a fin tweaker to get the fin back to where it was. And that's not a bad place to start by the way, simply adjusting it back to stock to see how you get there
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    DanEskialex
    I had actually only watched part one of his video. I just watched part 2 and it's making a little more sense. I've got to run to Lowe's anyway today so going to pick up a 5/32 Allen wrench with the handle on it.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,225 Mega Baller
    edited May 2016
    @gt2003 You've asked a VERY good question that has a complex answer. But the first part of that answer is that adjusting one set screw will affect two or three of the ski behaviors affected by the fin at the same time. This will inevitably mess up the ski's performance in confusing ways.

Changing one ski behavior without affecting the others (roll, tip-engagement, and tail support/smear) involves the knowledgeable use of all three set screws, not to mention binding location and wing angle (drag).

Use the Rossi videos to measure and set up factory specs. And if you want to customize your setup from there, you'll avoid a long and confusing journey by reading Fin Whispering—Demystifying the Black Art of Water Ski Tuning.
    (shameless plug = )
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    jipster43
  • gmutgmut Posts: 198 Baller
    make sure that you have good health insurance
    Well, I got I very, very close to factory settings. I'm going to have Steve double check it before I mount my boots. I'm skiing first set on Rod's 2015 Lithium, throwing bindings on my new one and heading out on it for the 2nd set.

It seems that the "depth" allen screw (on top, towards rear of fin) has very, very little adjustment possible whether fin block is mounted on ski or not. Is that just a poor perception by me or am I doing something wrong? In my square head it seems like once the fin length is set with the front allen screw, the depth is pretty much set as well. Wow, and I really wanted to learn this!
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,662 Administrator
    edited May 2016
    @gt2003 no. depth is very adjustable. You need the book....

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Damnit! Not helping me @Horton! I don't guess the calipers do me much good without knowing how to properly use them though...
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon