Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rear Toe plate rubber replacement/cinching down parts fixture?

dancindancin Posts: 13 Baller
How do trick and slalom ski set-up tuners get the rubber parts to pull down and catch on the acorn nuts?
After an hour my fingers were sore and the job is not done. I tried using quick clamps and wooden hand clamps to hold everything together. The screws I used were 1/2" flat head stainless steel, but I also tried 3/4".
Does anyone know or have pictures of a hold down fixture to clamp this down and make it an easier job?
Tagged:

Comments

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,756 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    One thing that i do is put nails through the plate, rubber pieces and the top plastic piece then clamp with vise grips or a c clamp. Then pull the nail out and push the screw through and put on the acorn nut.

I havent found a truly easy method, but thay works reasonably well
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,051 Mega Baller
    I like @Bruce_Butterfield idea with a nail. I use vice grips. It is a pain but I seem to get it done.
    Mark Shaffer
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,135 Mega Baller
    Leave off the overlay (who needs it?) or use thinner rubber for the toe piece.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Kelvin
  • condorpilotcondorpilot Posts: 82 Baller
    Update of this thread if it helps anyone.

Drop the acorn nuts into plastic rails and cover with masking tape to keep in position whilst you work.
    Push screws up through the plate from the ski side. Put rubbers/ wraps in position and hook holes over the screws.
    Finally place rails over the screws and push together to get screws onto the acorn nuts threads and gradually tighten up one side at a time until secure.
    Struggled doing this many times until I used the tape to hold the acorn nuts in the rails. Recently rebuilt a few bindings and this works every time no problem.
    BobFToddL
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,847 Mega Baller
    Similar to @Bruce_Butterfield 's method, but using the original screws. The screw threads would also help hold the rubber down against the plate. I would do one side at a time. Once the side is clamped with all 3 screws in place, I would back the first screw out to the point where the tip of the screw is flush with the top of the rubber piece. Then, I could position the nut into place. From their just some trial and patience to get the threads to catch on the nut. Once the first one is done, move to the next. Once one side is done repeat on the other side.

I like @condorpilot's idea of using tape to hold the nuts in place. I wonder it the two methods can be combined, by taping only 1 screw at a time.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,975 Infinite Pandas
    I use long screws with regular nuts. Tighten everything down and replace the screws one at a time with the proper screw and acorn nut. PITA.

Eric
    DragoToddL
  • condorpilotcondorpilot Posts: 82 Baller
    ToddL, yes one side at a time. Easy enough taping all 3 into the clamp at the same time and no fiddling once they’re in. Just do as you are saying with the bolts holding the rubbers secure on the plates and backed off to just come just above the surface of the rubbers. When you offer up the clamp containing the nuts , use the bolt that has gone through the single wrap layer first. Just get it on a couple of threads to hold it. You will then have it secure but with enough play to be able to see the other 2 nuts and get them on by a couple of threads. Finally tighten them all a few turns at a time until fully secure. Repeat for other side. It really makes it easy and eliminates the frustration.