Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transmission Fluid

walleyewalleye Posts: 183 Baller
What type (Dextron 111) or brand do you recommend?

Thanks T

Comments

• walleyewalleye Posts: 183 Baller
    98 s/n 1500 hours on transmission - red fluid.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,114 Mega Baller
    Not a big fan of high mileage trans fluid, it contains additives that can cause otherwise good seals to swell. Better off sticking with plain old dextron of whatever number your manual says. Typically it says right on the dipstick what the fluid requirement is. No idea if pcm does that.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    edited June 2016
    Manual just says dextron (55th page of PDF), so Dextron VI is going to be the easiest thing to find that will work
    1998 Manual
    Chuck P
  • walleyewalleye Posts: 183 Baller
    @oldjeep Thanks why I ask the manual says dextron. You go to the store there is High mileage, dextron/merc, dextron 111, synthetic etc. etc. Did not see dextron v1
    Dextron 3 no longer really exists since gm does not licence that name any more. Dextrin vi is the current version and ok for anything that calls for dextron
    Chuck P
    Dex/merc is also theoretically ok but I had a bad experience with the Oreilly dex/merc in a dex 2 jeep transmission so I only use the dex vi now
    Chuck P
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 242 Baller
    While we are on the subject of trannys how do you drain it to replace ? 04 SN 196?
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 309 Solid Baller
    @jetpilotg4 I have the same boat and I use a drill pump from Overtons. I think harbor freight has them as well. Only takes 2-3 minutes to remove the 2 quarts of fluid. Make sure not to overfill when replenishing. Have used the same pump for 20 years now, no problems.
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 242 Baller
    Thanks @dvskier
    I use a syringe type fluid extractor so that I can measure what I take out and put back the same amount. Mine is a different brand, but similar to this:
    Fluid extractor at wally world
    Chuck P
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 745 Crazy Baller
    DO NOT use synthetic fluid. I use a sophisticated system for draining the fluid..... I unscrew the squirted pump from a Windex bottle, stick the hose in the transmission and pump away.
    edited June 2016
    @Orlando76 that is going to be tough. Dextron vi is all synthetic or synthetic blend. Where does you recommendation come from and what brand are you buying?
    Chuck P
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 745 Crazy Baller
    Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc. Eric Lavine, former owner of Fantastic Finish Marine and probably the leading rebuilder of marine transmissions says to never ever run synthetic in a Velvet Drive or the PCM 40a which has been agreed upon by others as well as Second hand from PCM. Evidently Synthetic or anything labeled high mileage is too slippery for the clutches. Keep in mind the the PCM 40a originally was built for 20w oil to be used which has pretty much disappeared.
    Drago
  • DWDW Posts: 1,850 Mega Baller
    FWIW: my vessel has a 71C velvet drive & I prefer to run the hydraulic (tractor) oil as it reduces the "clatter" level of the trans at low speeds/idle. Seen a few similar comments to that effect & I have been happy with the Mobil offering.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,424 Mega Baller
    edited June 2016
    Hi, yes stay away from any synthetic and never use any of the trans additives. PCM Series 40 transmission's use Dextron ATF , nothing special in fact we use the O'riley house brand here.
    I have a SS 1/4" tube rigged to a oil transfer pump and pump out the fluid. The series 40 takes right at 2 qt's. Do not over fill.

@DW yes the Borg 71/72 can use motor oil usually 30W. however for higher rpm usage the preference is ATF.

The Hurth v-drive transmissions also use 30W oil.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

[Deleted User]bishop8950
  • DWDW Posts: 1,850 Mega Baller
    @Jody_Seal : thanks, and what is the rationale behind ATF preference at higher speeds?
  • MSMS Posts: 4,896 Mega Baller
    Do you need the transmission hot when you check the level?
    Shut up and ski