Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Teaching my 17yr old to pull slalom!!!!!?????

markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
edited June 2016 in Technique & Theory
So it is time my 17 yr old daughter starts pulling me through the course!!! I am looking for any key suggestions or tips you have used in a similar situation and how things have worked out?
She is already doing awesome with driving the boat on and off the trailer and pulling up to and away from the dock.
My thoughts are make it fun and positive for her. Start with driving the course without a skier which we have done a little of. Next maybe have a passenger with her the first few sets she pulls me and keep the line at -22 and the boat at 30 or 32???
Appreciate any input.
Thanks, MC
Ski it if you can!!!!
gsm_peter

Comments

• jcampjcamp Posts: 885 Mega Baller
    Russell Gay gave me a good tip one time with was to have new boat drivers pull you through the course on a trick ski. It's the same boat path, some of the same tug from the skier, same drop at the end, etc., but at around 18 mph a much more manageable speed.
    markchilcutt
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,414 Crazy Baller
    Is she enthusiastic about the venture? That'll be half the way if so.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Wishmarkchilcutt
  • WishWish Posts: 8,136 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Started mine in a similar way. Course without skier but mom in passenger seat. She was the driving coach. Added skier, me, and no course at 25mph on a wide body ski cutting back and fourth and practicing pull ups and drops at ends. Then back in course at 25mph me skiing. Advice being given by wife and me just cheering her on at each end with NO input on driving. Point is that you my be better off having someone else (friend of family preferably) that she trusts getting instruction from as in boat driving coach. And you just leaving out input but ramping up praise. Win win for her. Don't rush anything or move it along faster then she is comfortable with. Better it take longer then to have a reluctance to drive do to feeling pressure or having made a mistake along the way where she feels responsible.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    markchilcuttAndre
  • lcgordonlcgordon Posts: 282 Baller
    I think pulling a trick skier is so hard. I have never pulled somebody super deep short line but normal pulling is easier than a trick ski I think.
    markchilcutt
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,056 Mega Baller
    I started having my son pull me for trick and open water (with a good driver in the boat with him) to get him used to driving around a skier in the water. While we were getting him used to that I had him run a lot of simulated passes in the course probably more than 100 including dropping at each end. The first time he pulled a skier in the course it was a friend of mine that runs 32/15 and isn't as strong behind the boat. Then he migrated to pulling me.

We started this when he was 15. He wasn't around quite as much last summer so he didn't drive a ton but when he did he was pretty good.

@jcamp at trick speed I move the boat around way more than I do at slalom speed. I drive a lot of slippery slalom for Matt and he moves the boat around a lot more as the line gets shorter.
    Mark Shaffer
    markchilcutt
  • rfarfa Posts: 265 Baller
    My two boys started to drive me around 16-17...safety was first...pull up/pick up skier...then lots of course w/o skier...then w/ skier and spotter (who also advised on course centerline). for the reasons @chef mentioned pulling skiers was always at reasonable slalom speeds (28-32) initially (i.e. no trick ski/speeds)
    Rui Afonso
    lpskier
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
    Thanks for all the great input everyone. I do not have a trick ski so that is not an option. I like the idea of throwing a bouy out and having her go back to pick up as if it was a skier. If the wind is low tomorrow I will get her driving without a skier.
    Thanks,MC
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 531 Crazy Baller
    All this talk of skiers falling and dealing with getting the rope to the skier is interesting to me. If they cannot do that stuff then driving in the course is totally out as is pulling a skier. Practice on general operating stuff first. Just learn and get comfortable driving and maneuvering the boat without anyone behind it.
    You have to learn to drive a car before you can learn to tow a trailer. Start with just general driving.
    Once they can handle the boat without a skier, put an open water skier in there. Once they can handle that, put a sudo course in there. If they can pull you in open water and do it like your in a course (avoiding power turns, getting the handle back, going slow on the return, ect) then adding in the buoys should be easy.

The biggest deal is they have to want to learn. Additionally it is much easier to teach a skier to drive than an non skier. Everyone I have ever had drive or watch drive that is not a skier was much worse in general edict.
    Bruce_Butterfieldmarkchilcutt
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    Tube is great practice. I let my 13 year old pull my 9 yr old on the tube, nothing crazy, not trying to throw him off, just pull him around while I sit in the passenger seat and observe. I tell my 9 year old to jump off from time to time so my 13 year old has to get the tube back to him. The more slow maneuvering we do the better imho
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    WishBrennanKMNBroussard
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 471 Crazy Baller
    Driving a skier through the slalom course on a trick ski and at slower speeds is extremely difficult. It is much easier to drive the course at about 28 MPH+
    Andre Broussard | SkiBama Team Captain | SkiBennetts |
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
    Day one no skier went fantastic today. Apparently she has been paying attention while a passenger! She blew my mind today!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    skihardDmaxJC_ski