Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Handle Selection

I need a new handle. I have a ML custom, 1.0, 13". While browsing ML and inTow I noticed that many of the top skiers use a 12" handle. Is there a technical reason for this or just preference?

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 29,710 Administrator
    I use a 12 because that is what i have always used. No good reason. If you like a 13 get another 13

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,876 Mega Baller
    @Mark_Matis Or your head. I have a feeling that is why jump handles are so short.

I use a 12 and a 13 feels awkward. However, I have heard some larger chested skiers say that a 13 allows them to get their chest up between their arms and the hip to the handle more easily. On the other hand I have seen big guys with 12s and skinny guys with 13s.

I would try some different handles to see what you like best rather than getting internet advice about a matter of personal preference.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 733 Crazy Baller
    Agree with @lpskier, unless ur a bigger guy, stick with the 12" handle.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,414 Crazy Baller
    @Higleyskier, I'm with @Horton, if you're happy with a 13" stick with it. There is no reason to assume a Perfromance advantage with either length or diameter. I will say however, by alternating diameter may, again MAY, help avoid blisters and elbow problems.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    @Mark_Matis, I'm missing something in your comments concerning handle length and an advantage in "reach". I fail to see the relationship between handle length (i.e. 12" - 13" or whatever) and your terminology "usable length" and "additional length". I don't see how that can give you more room at the buoy. The only help in that regard is a longer measurement from the inside of the handle to the inside of the attachment loop. Explanation please.
  • GarGar Posts: 316 Baller
    I tend to miss the handle do my theory is an extra inch cannot hurt.
    I'm would think that the portion of the handle with no hand on it would have to go fully slack, to the point of turning your wrist downward to gain a half an inch. Man, I don't think you'd get much.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,356 Mega Baller
    The biggest bonus of the 13" is that it's harder to miss it when you're scrambling your ass off. The jump handles are so small 100% for the avoidance of putting you're head through it. I've certainly caught my 13" with just 2 fingers before and on a 12" it would have been a complete miss so the 13" has given me several buoys I wouldn't have otherwise had.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,589 Mega Baller
    I went to 13" handle about 5 years ago and was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The extra margin of error cut down on handle handle misses greatly for me.
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 415 Crazy Baller
    @Mark_Matis unless I misunderstand you, I think you are looking at an old rule book. The measurement of the handle (the 4'11" measurement) is from the inside of the loop to the inside of the handle. This rule change gave us an extra half inch.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,216 Mega Baller
    @Mark_Matis "Not much, but longer" Can you put a number to this? Actually do the math?
    Triplett
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,291 Mega Baller
    Ski buds and I all go with the In Tow handle and cross bar. One is a 12" ARS and the other three are 13" radius handles.
  • HigleyskierHigleyskier Posts: 29 Baller
    Many thanks to all. So, I am hearing that there is no technical/strategic reason/advantage that many of the top skiers choose the 12" handle. If that is the case, I will certainly choose what feels best to me. If any of the skiers listed on InTow want to comment otherwise I am all ears.
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 653 Crazy Baller
    @MattP @Mark_Matis; Woo-hoo, finally get to use the pythagorean theorum. Those middle school math teachers were right, this would be useful one day. :wink:

Don't have the rule book but I thought the length of the handle was like 5' (60") from center to the rope. That's Measurement B. With a 12" handle your measurement C is 6" and 13" handle has a C measurement of 6.5".

So solving for A with a 12" handle gets you 60.3". With a 13" you get 60.35. So while a 13" handle does give you a slight advantage in width at the buoy, that isn't going to help us mortals at probably anything below 43 off.

• keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 653 Crazy Baller
    @Mark_Matis, your correct. I did realize that the B is way too long and re-ran the numbers with B being about 12" (estimating what the triangle portion of my handle is) and the increase was slightly bigger - a 10th of an inch or so.

Maybe I can just stretch upside down for a few minutes before my ski ride.
  • lcgordonlcgordon Posts: 282 Baller
    This would be assuming that the other side of the handle goes completly slack. If both sides of the triangle are tight then you are still the same distance from as the center of the handle from the pylon. I could be wrong but this is what it going on in my head.
  • JohnbrannanJohnbrannan Posts: 36 Baller
    Based on all these ideas, this may be a true example where size does not matter......
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,815 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I use a 12 inch US Gear and the reason is #1 quality, #2 it has reduced my misgrabs and #3 my head will not fit through it so no need for guard.
    Shut up and ski
  • lcgordonlcgordon Posts: 282 Baller

If you look at this picture it does not go slack but still does move a bit. The upper portion of the triangle is not straight with his arm. If it was straight the Pythagorean theorem would be exactly correct. It is not though it goes up a bit. It is not quite as much as the equation would give you. But I would agree that you get a tad more reach. I guess in something that every bit counts it could help.
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 401 Crazy Baller
    Who's horse is bigger than my horse ??????? Just ski with comfort
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,035 Mega Baller
    I have been skiing a 13 inch handle for a few weeks and my skiing has not been good with it. Numerous misgrabs and funky pulls. Am going back to 12 inch handle.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Horton
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,710 Administrator
    I can't explain it but i am only comfortable with a 12"

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League