Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heat Wave

EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
Noting the heat wave in the SouthWest, with temperatures over 110 and even 115, what do you people do?
Adjust your settings? Ski fewer passes? Stay home in the A/C? Etc?
Got any good hot weather stories?

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,563 Mega Baller
    Don't get in a hurry and drink lots of water. I have had to make adjustments. Boots back a little sometimes helps.
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 551 Crazy Baller
    Ski early or late, stay in the shade not doing much but drinking icy cold beer. Works well for me.
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    edited June 2016
    Couple of my stories. At one of the Tour sites in the Phoenix area, I left a plastic
    meter sighting arm on the deck behind the rear seat of my rental car. Right next to
    the rear window. Later when I picked it up, it had turned into a flexy noodle.

Noting on the weather today, temperatures were going to get near the record of 122
    in Phoenix. I was there then, doing the survey work for a SL course on the cableski in
    the area. (EZ job: no boatgates needed). Every once in a while, I would walk into the
    water, with shorts & t-shirt on. Walking out, it even felt chilly for a short time, as there
    was wind, maybe 15-20mph, and the water was evaporating like crazy. 15 minutes
    later, I was dry. It "cooled" down at night there, getting all the way down to 95
    degrees by the AM.

I can remember getting into my rental car that had been sitting in the sun, and not being
    able to touch anything, as it all was so hot. Arizona is something else.
  • skihardskihard Posts: 550 Crazy Baller
    It's upon us! Water temp gauge on my boat yesterday afternoon at 4:40 said our lakes are currently sitting at 94 degrees. And wow it's only 1/2 way into June.
    Thinking we will be close to 100 again sooner than later!

But hey we ski them! :)
    2014 Carbon Pro, Radar Pro Build Lithium Vapor w/ Vapor Carbitex Boa Bindings - life's about working hard and then having fun on the water! I am - are you?
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    One thing these days, is that people understand the need to hydrate in heat, and drink
    water/fluids (beer excepted). Back in the 1950's when I was a kid, we didn't understand
    that. Living in NH, in the Summer, when it got up to 80 degrees, I'd have the blahs and
    complain about the heat. You didn't necessarily feel thirsty. Now, in FL, 80 feels nice
    and temperate, providing that I keep hydrated.
    BRYeleeski
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,829 Infinite Pandas
    120f on the ZO display today. Had to wet the throttle and steering wheel to drive. The water was pleasant at 85f so the skiing was fun.

Hightailed it back to San Diego - keeping the Cessna engine temps in the green was a challenge as were the thermal bumps but it is reasonable here. I love it hot, the zonies escaping the heat support our economy.

Eric
  • NandoNando Posts: 491 Crazy Baller
    Tried finding my photo of Edbrazil and the pile of hydration cans around his total station, but couldn't locate it, but he hydrated constantly. I recall at one long-ago Texas nationals, my friend's dad remarked, "this heat is great, you can drink beer all day long and never have to take a leak".