Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial 43 Off Records

Howdy,

I know the official tournament record is [email protected] off. However, I was wondering how deep the pros have run into this pass during unofficial practice? If pros could offer some input, I would appreciate it, as well as any rumors that fellow "Ball (OfSpray) ers" have heard.

Also, has anyone shortened to 43 off in practice for fun, and what did you score (I ski 15 off, but I reckon I could get the gates)?

To start it off, I read an online interview on Nate Smith and found out that he has run [email protected] off at 34 mph. This is my first post, so thank you for any input!
If you don't crash, then you ain't trying hard enough!

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,990 Mega Baller
    edited June 2016
    Not quite on topic, but you mentioned shortening in practice, so you might find this interesting. About 15 years ago, Jamie Beauchesne set a new WR of 1.5 @ -43. This got me wondering: Just how hard is 41 off? At the time, I was capable of running 36/-32 somewhat regularly, and I think perhaps I had run 36/-35 a handful of times by then. So that gives you a little context to understand the following:

I attempted 41 off three times.

My best score was 0.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,186 Administrator
    @lantley in my experience pro skiers are super shy about practice scores. I have heard rumblings about Nate turning 3 ball at 43 and getting more but that is all 3rd hand rumors.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Than_Bogan
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,537
    There is that video of Andy turning 4 ball.... I have heard that its been run in practice.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• lantleylantley Posts: 60
    edited June 2016
    @Than_Bogan, I don't consider your reply at all off topic. It goes to show just how difficult it must be to run really short links like that. @Horton, I thought that must be the case because I haven't found practice scores anywhere on the web
    @ozski, I watched that video (36 mph?); Andy was really impressive! Thanks for the quick replies! (meant for this to be in the first comment but it got split up?)
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,990 Mega Baller
    Glad you found it interesting.

Another thing to consider about 43-off practice results is that it's so near to impossible that a slight deviation in boat path could change everything. So if I were a pro and I managed to run -43 in practice, I would probably discount it as likely being an illegally-favorable boat path (unless I had video clearly showing otherwise).

So that's yet another reason nobody would claim to have run it in practice.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,186 Administrator
    @ozski at 34mph / 55k I am sure that is true

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Did some more digging... Andy mentioned in an old ask-anything interview that his practice PB at 36 mph was either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 at 43 off (got around 3 ball).
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 388 Crazy Baller
    According to the internet, Andy had a practice score of around 2 1/4 or 2.5 @36 mph and 4 at 34 mph.

Ask Andy Anything

@lantley can you provide a video link?

I know long links aren't liked here but I don't know how to shorten it.
    DaveLemons
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,357 Historical Baller
    edited June 2016
    Correction to Than: Jamie did 1.0 at 9.75 to tie the existing record co-held by Jeff and
    Andy, in 2003. Some years later, at the Malibu Open in France, he ran 2 @ 9.75, but the
    video was missing. I have never heard any explanation of what happened. Anyone out
    there have more information? Malibu moved their Open back to the US after that.
    Than_Bogan
    Chris Rossi said he clipped 2 ball at 43 off on his first attempt ever. He also says he (believes he) can run it. This is from an ask-anything interview I found.
    So, according to waterskimag in 2001, Wade Cox ran [email protected] in practice and Jeff Rodgers ran [email protected] in practice (assumed at 36 mph since these are their "best" practice performances). Funny how I find these after I ask a question...?