Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time for a more forgiving ski?

TdubTdub Posts: 256 Baller
OK, it could be that time in my ski life. I of course love this sport and everything about it. But...I am 66 and not really progressing. I ski on a 66 inch Helix. I never ski 34 and never will. Deep waters are getting a tad more difficult. You get the idea. Towards the end of Summer I may get a couple at 32 off. I still struggle at 28 and even 22. My off-side turns are horrible and always have been. I just want to enjoy the sport and if I can be consistent at 22 and maybe 28 I will be very happy. That being said, is my Helix a little much more me? I have always respected D3 as a company and their products but I would not be resistant to change if another company has a ski better suited to my situation. So after this long post...what would be a better ski for me if I would be willing to give up my Helix. And should I?

Thanks for any and all ideas.
Cheers.

Comments

• andjulesandjules Posts: 843 Mega Baller
    What's your weight, height and speed?
    It's not so much that your ski is "too much", but it may be that something a bit wider (that rides higher at lower speeds) could help.
    chrisroddy
  • TdubTdub Posts: 256 Baller
    Thanks @andjules I weigh 178, 5"10" and ski at 32mph.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,414 Crazy Baller
    That ski is marginal at 178 and 32 mph. Since you're on a D3, the Quest series is more forgiving,yet not as quick as a Helix. You would be better suited to a 67". I'm a 32 mph skier. I'm "coming off" a 66" RCX. I manage on it well, but my starting line is 28 and run a 35 once in a while, but I only weigh 160. If you can get a chance to try a 67" Quest I bet you'll like it.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Tdub
  • mcskier41mcskier41 Posts: 64 Baller
    Try a 67" D3 ARC blue version if you're wanting to go the D3 route
    Sorry, typo. My Helix is a 67".
  • ESPNSkierESPNSkier Posts: 177 Baller
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and I can't say enough about the 67" HO CX Superlite. Still fairly new ski for me but I am loving it at 32 mph!
    bogboyTdubOldboyII
    So the HO CX Superlite looks good. Any other suggestions?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,056 Mega Baller
    Radar Senate Lithium would be a fun ski with more support. The CX skis I don't believe have more surface area. My daughter does ski on one at slower speeds and likes it though.
    Mark Shaffer
    Tdub
  • greggreg Posts: 40 Baller
    @Tdub , I found the CX Superlight to really shine for me at 32mph. Unfortunately I still need to go 34 and that is not working as well for me consistently. I will say that at 32 I feel like a totally different skier than ever before, wider-earlier than I've ever been. Makes me wish 32 was my max speed. I'm your height/weight on a 67". Unfortunately I may have to try something else that might work better for me at 34.
    Greg Chapman
    Tdub