Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cover Sports Cover ruined my upholstery....Or did it?

303Skier303Skier Posts: 468 Solid Baller
edited July 2016 in Boat Talk
I purchased a Cover Sports cover about two months ago for my immaculate 2008 SN 196. The cover I had was getting old and I figured to protect my investment I'd get the best cover made. I did a lot of research and I heard Brent at Cover Sports made one of the best covers. Long story short, I purchased an all black cover and about 4 weeks later I received it. The cover took awhile to figure out how all the straps worked but after an hour I figured it out, got the cover on and went home feeling assured that my boat was going to be protected form rain, hail, wind and sun!

Now I'm not kidding this boat is immaculate! The upholstery is in perfect condition, bright white, no stains rips or anything and I'm very particular about how I take care of it. I use 303 Aerospace protectant to wipe down the interior after every use. The next week I went back to the lake, uncover the boat and as soon as I uncovered the back of the boat....BOOM right in my face are my back hatch covers with this purple/black dye stain all over them! I couldn't believe my eyes! The rest of the upholstery was fine but the back hatches were ruined. I immediately went and got a Magic Eraser and tried to rub the purple/black stain off and this stuff wasn't moving! I figured the new cover had bled some black dye into the vinyl and that was it....SMOKED! So I skied and put it out of my mind. I emailed Brent the next day and asked him what the heck was going on and what we were going to do!? He replied back to me with an article that made no sense about this magical changing color vinyl phenomena. This boat is 10 years old, how would the Vinyl just magically change colors now!? And very ironic it happened right when I got this new cover. Now my only conclusion is that it was either dye from the cover...Or it was caused by extreme heat because the cover is very tight on that hatch area.

I have no idea what to do and how to proceed. I got some quotes for new skins and they're about $200 each not including the labor to put them on. Also now a few weeks later the top of the back seat is stating to do the same thing! If I go trough the trouble and expense of new skins is this just going to happen again? Should I get a refund for the cover? Should Brent pay for the damages?

Comments

• TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 542 Crazy Baller
    Maybe get some new scrap vinyl and put it under the cover and see if the color changes on the new vinyl?
  • 303Skier303Skier Posts: 468 Solid Baller
    edited July 2016
    The night I put the cover on...

The next week...

• JordanJordan Posts: 1,206 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ugh...sorry that this happened to your boat! Keep us posted...
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,271 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    As a guy who keeps his stuff immaculate...this is hard to stomach. Sorry man!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    rockdogskibumsam
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,118 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    On my phone I can't quite see what's going on. Sure appears to be dye bleeding thru. But there's also a mold that looks similar to that which can't be killed. Like mentioned, put scrap fabric there and see what happens. Also, always run a fan or two along with engine hatch propped open. I remember when you got the cover, seems I recall the post. Sticks out in my mind as I'm starting to shop for a cover. I've always heard Angola Canvas was the best for a Correct Craft but Cover Sports interested me too. Keep us posted, if Cover Sports blows you off I think I'll just cross them off my list.
  • east tx skiereast tx skier Posts: 595 Solid Baller
    That stinks. I can't speak to black sunbrella, but I have a red sunbrella cover from Brent, which has been on my 1998 SN for eight years with no harm to the vinyl.

Thinking back, there were some issues with the black MasterCraft factory covers years ago with staining. You might look into some of those old threads on the MC forum. Just a thought. Again, sorry this happened.
    Perpetual Longline Baller. Tyler Ski Club, Tyler, Texas.
    My real name is in my profile.

www.tylerskiclub.com
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,118 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    What made that line about 3" starboard of the lifting ring? Looks like strap webbing was there? I think that answers the question that it was dye.
    Link to one of the MC threads. Have you tried leaving the boat out in the sun to see if the stain fades?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49799

www.tylerskiclub.com
    DmaxJC_ski
    I live in Colorado, very dry and hot....No mold issues here but I did think about that being a cause. I don't see it though.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,710 Mega Baller
    On my previous boat, I had some reddish stains develop on the vinyl in areas that were not in contact with the cover (it was a beige canvas cover anyway). I believe it was some sort of mold/mildew that was caused by trapped moisture. Some light bleach water eliminated it. Don't know if yours is a severe case or not.

Or, could the 303 protectant have reacted with the cover to release dye?
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    edited July 2016
    ---Duplicate Post---

www.tylerskiclub.com
    @east tx skier Thanks for the info and link! I will leave the boat out in the sun and see if that helps! I think it's a heat issue, like they're saying in the thread. Either way it really sucks! I'm also going to do the scrap vinyl test as well.
    @MISkier This time of year in Colorado it's very hot and dry, no mold or mildew issues here. Even with my old cover I had very hot days using it with no issues what so ever!

It's very unlikely that the 303 protectant caused this issue but it did cross my mind. I don't use a lot of it and usually wipe it all off before the cover goes on.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,461 Mega Baller
    edited July 2016
    few things
    #1 - Magic eraser is a sanding sponge and permanently damages vinyl
    #2 - looks like the typical moist bleed through that you see on Malibus, goes away in the sun and comes from your vinyl backer not the cover. Happens with covers like that especially that run the water right onto the cushions rather than off the back of the boat.
    #3 - what is it with these aftermarket covers that don't actually cover the back of the boat? Evolution are the same way, makes no sense.
    #4 - who is still making black covers?
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    edited July 2016
    @oldjeep

Trying to find solution to the problem not looking for negativity. Found out that Magic Eraser is bad for interior, didn't use it very long and only in one spot. Also what's wrong with a black cover? Heat?
    edited July 2016
    The black covers make everything too hot and make the weird vinyl color issue worse on a Malibu anyways, The grey covers seem to eliminate the weird temporary reddish brown "staining" that seems to happen where the covers keep the vinyl from breathing.

Unfortunately using a ton of 303 protectant doesn't seem to help with this particular problem since the color is coming from the inside of the vinyl if your issue is the same one that is seem commonly on Malibu boats. I still use a ton of it for other reasons though.
    Chuck P
    303Skier
    edited July 2016
    @oldjeep Thanks for the info, wish I knew that about black covers before I purchased it :(

On the Malibu's...How long does it take to go away?

Would putting the boat under a car port cover help?
    edited July 2016
    If you do a little googling you'll find lots of folks with all brands of boats complaining about vinyl discoloration after covering. This is an article from a vinyl MFG about one cause of the issue

The document, titled Pink Stain and Vinyl Coated Fabrics, is from Spradling International, Inc., P.O. Box 1668, 200 Cahaba Valley Parkway North, Pelham, AL 35124, 800-333-0955. The quality of the copy I obtained from the dealer is poor so I'm summarizing it rather than providing a scanned copy.

Summary:

Pink Stain is a by-product, dye, of a specific type of bacterial micro-organism. This dye is soluble in plasticizer, a primary ingredient in vinyl coated fabrics, and will stain any vinyl coated fabric with which it comes in contact. Care should be taken in the construction of vinyl covered fabrics to insure the seams are water tight if possible and that the foam cushions are designed to avoid water saturation and are quick drying if they do get wet. The foam and other materials used in the construction of the seats and cushions should be treated with an effective anti-microbial agent during construction. "Frequent and proper cleaning" should be undertaken after construction to avoid moisture and dirt retention in crevices. Boats should be covered when not in use and wet towels and swimsuits, etc. should not be stowed on boats. Adequate ventilation is important and the use of a moisture reducing desiccant is recommended.
    Chuck P
    MISkierbishop8950
    Yeah, supposedly it doesn't happen as much if the cover is not in direct sunlight. I've seen this happen on my inlaws boat with a black cover and it typically goes away if you leave it un covered in the hot sun for a few hours. Mine lives in the garage and has a light gray cover for the week it sits in the lake and I havn't had any of those issues.
    Chuck P
  • davemacdavemac Posts: 450 Baller
    I get that on occasion (black sunbrella cover, white Malibu upholstery, in N.H.). Sunlight takes it away pretty quickly.
    edited July 2016
    Un fortunately the pictures all seem to be gone in this thread, but a similar discussion of boats that are bone dry, but getting discolored on hot days under the cover. There are a couple threads a year like this
    gotta-love-105-degree-days-and-vinyl-discoloration/
    Chuck P
    @oldjeep Seems the Malibu issue comes from the adhesive under the vinyl bleeding through? Not the micro organism issue?

How does bleach work? Seems too harsh to apply to vinyl.
    Yes, it seems like the Malibu issue is glue or something in the backing foam and the same issue seems to be documented in Mastercrafts. Although the funny thing is that sun seems to cure both of them.

Bleach is pretty bad for the thread and likely for the vinyl. I'd just stick your boat uncovered in the sun and see if that takes care of it before putting any sort of chemicals on the vinyl.
    Chuck P
    303Skier
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 201 Baller
    Have the same issue with my black sunbrella Evolution cover. A couple of days boating in the sun fades it out.
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 784 Solid Baller
    @303Skier , We have seen exactly the same issue with the black covers down here in Pueblo on some of the Malibu's. They all disappear without any work when exposed to the sun here in Colorado. Doesn't seem to take very long either 1+ hours. It doesn't seem to matter the age of the cover either.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
    @colo_skier I had the cover off for 4 hours in 90+ weather and it didn't go away. Hoping a full day in the sun will resolve the issue!
  • chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 358 Crazy Baller
    I had the exact same issue on my 196. In my case, I have a tight-fit waterline cover. I also use 303 after every use. The stains only appeared in areas the cover touched vinyl and after leaving the boat covered for more than 2 days in direct sunlight/heat. Once I discovered the issue, the stains appeared to fade away throughout the next couple of days while using the boat and leaving uncovered (parked in the garage). My solution has been this: I use white bath towels to lay across the back hatches, back seat, gunwale pad, as well as the motor box (essentially anywhere the cover may come into contact with the vinyl) and never park the boat out of the shade while covered. This has seemed to resolve the issue. Going forward, I will continue using the towels, and I will be keeping a small tub of DampRid in the boat in the case it gets covered before fully drying out.

Hopefully your vinyls will go back to normal with enough direct sun exposure and 303.
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
    303Skier
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 484 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Very common with the Black Covers Put it out in the sun it will fade out
    303Skier
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 425 Crazy Baller
    Most inks and dyes come out with rubbing alcohol~! I have taken all kinds of crap outta car seats and speedskating boots. Let me know if it works for you~!
    @GBPackers1 are you talking about a Cover Sport cover?

Took me 5 weeks to get my cover. What kind of boat do you have?