Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tree vs. Boat

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,548 Mega Baller
In a way, these pictures don't quite do it justice. Surveying the entire scene it looks like the tree staged a direct attack on my boat. Hard to assess the full extent of the damage until the tree is cleared, but for sure the windshield has been completely destroyed, including both the glass and the frame.

Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan

Comments

• gcam4gcam4 Posts: 85 Baller
    Man that sucks! Hopefully you can get everything fixed up quick.
  • ThePantsManCanThePantsManCan Posts: 453 Baller
    I think you are getting a new boat. Congrats!!!
    60% of the time, it works.... All the time.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,541 Administrator
    Shit
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

sunvalleylawkeithh2oskier
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,767 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan Yikes! I feel your pain! I had a similar experience back in the 90's with my 74 Hydrodyne IO. Luckily only the windshield needed to be repaired. Thunderstorm?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    Damn.... So sorry!!!!! Need an "unlike" button. The water probably absorbed some of the energy of the impact. Hope that saved you from greater damage.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,823 Mega Baller
    Oh, and I opened this thread expecting some question/theories about if leaning on a handle tied to a tree was sufficient to practice for leaning behind the boat. That would have been much better than this!
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Than_BoganCWiedmerAndre
  • LovellLovell Posts: 98 Baller
    Wow that sucks. Thank god for insurance.
    Than_Bogan
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,548 Mega Baller
    Not really a storm, no. The tree's roots were toast and a moderate wind finished it off.
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    Damn! That's crazy.

You going to Nationals? You really need to go, ski Karma owes you big time!
    Wish
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,031 Mega Baller
    Makes me feel a bit ill. Yay insurance.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,975 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    I live right around the corner from @Than_Bogan and it wasn't what I would consider windy yesterday and we didn't have that much rain. A couple of us have older boats we wouldn't mind an insurance settlement on. Than's is one of 2 ZO boats we have access to and is fairly new to him so it is a bummer that his took the hit.

I have lost 3 trees in my back yard near the lake since my boat went in and have been fortunate nothing hit my boat but I have a big tree hanging over my boat that I may need to do something about.

Our lake is a State Park and we aren't supposed to cut trees down on the state property so it complicates matters.
    Mark Shaffer
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,961 Infinite Pandas
    Bwhahaha, my plan worked perfectly. I calculated exactly which parts of the tree to damage so the boat would be destroyed but leave the engine intact. Since @scuppers wouldn't ship me his engine when the ZO timer failed, I had to resort to Than's boat destruction backup plan. Than, hurry up and ship that engine to me.

Seeing that makes my compulsive boat hoarding 4 boat stable of boats look less crazy (I'm feeling bad about getting rid of that old Nautique last year now...).

Seriously, I hope things work out well and you get back on the water quickly.

Eric
    Than_BoganOne_Ski
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    Aw, man!! That sucks!! Hoping you have good insurance and that everything gets fixed up and/or replaced quickly with little down time!
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 870 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Maybe @dbski can use the wood to make some skis.
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,165 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    What crap luck, bummer! Hopefully you transition through the repair or replacement well
    [Deleted User]
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,356 Mega Baller
    Refer to post about moving to Texas
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    Thanks all! I'm not really in terrible shape, as I can ski off @MikeT's boat most of the time and depend on the generosity of others (including @Chef23!) as necessary. Plus, I'm not skiing tournaments this year, so if I had to pick a year for a disruption in August, I guess this would have to be it.

It's just going to be a royal pain to get it cleaned up (which relies heavily on the park, who haven't even called me back yet) and then towed to somewhere that can fix it. Insurance will cover much, though not my lost weekend time!

I don't think I'll need a new boat, but if I do then things get really interesting, since most new boats don't work with the infamous Mouse Hole Tunnel.
  • BdeckerBdecker Posts: 287 Solid Baller
    Ouch- sorry to hear Than, come up and ski with us while it's in the shop.
    Than_BoganPat M
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    That's brutal. Sorry to hear. I often have concerning thoughts about my boat sitting in a lift 100 miles from home, like " I wonder what the life expectency is of those cables" visioning it piled up on shore when I get there.
  • supergadgetsupergadget Posts: 55 Baller
    Yikes
    Definately not the type of project to be working on deep into ski season !
    What are the chances!
    :#
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,118 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Wow that's terrible. My biggest fear is a tree falling on one of my boats and it's highly likely to happen one day given my property is heavily tree'd like that. Hoe you make up lost time quick.
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 194 Solid Baller
    @Than_Bogan very sorry to hear about the boat, talk about bummer luck.

What's the "infamous mouse hole" you mention?
  • GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
    Sorry Than, what a bummer. Thank goodness for friends with boats.
    Than_Bogan
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 717 Crazy Baller
    Ugh. That makes a man ill. Hope it get fixed as quickly as possible.
    Mouse Hole Tunnel

A 91" beam is basically the limit to get through. 95" will almost never get through except maybe a few low water days each year.
    I am actually on the same side of that tunnel as the slalom course, so I could beg the Army Lab to let me in and out each year. But it's much, much more convenient to be able to use the public ramp on the other side of that tunnel.
    Mateo_Vargas
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 702 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan Can you say Ski Centurion. I also have a 2009 SN that's not getting a lot of use this year. Good to have options around. Good luck with the insurance process. On a good note I had a very positive experience with my insurance years back
    Than_Bogan
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,206 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Oooooh, sorry to see this Than!
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 702 Crazy Baller
    I also thought I heard on the news about a traffic back up on Route 9 due to a tree on a boat on the side of the road. ;)
    Yep, if I'm forced to a new boat a Carbon Pro is a no-brainer for me. But for now seems likely I can repair.
  • dbskidbski Posts: 292 Crazy Baller
    I actually do harvest downed trees for there wood. A big ass cherry went down in my neighbors yard and I got over 500 bd ft of lumber out of it. I've used cherry , ash, hickory and oak all from trees around my house. The frustrating part is that there a bunch of huge walnut trees all around but the damn things won't die or blow down!
    Rick Bohn
    Mateo_Vargas