Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do for 1/4 more at 41 off?

HortonHorton Posts: 28,989 Administrator
edited September 2016 in Videos, Photos & Media

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

rico

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,397 Mega Baller
    Those pics looks exactly how i teared my Achilles and ended my season early August...
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,612 Mega Baller
    A: None of that. But since I've never seen 41, I guess I don't know for sure.

And I'll be the ahole who points out she didn't get the quarter anyhow :(.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Texas6
    Looks to me that the bindings worked perfectly. Came off when needed and not before.
    Horton
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,989 Administrator
    edited September 2016
    @Than_Bogan look again she has an orange sticker on her ski. Makes it look like she did not get the quarter but she definitely did. If you look at the second image she is 6 inches away from getting the quarter. she may have actually deserve half. I think they did score her a quarter.

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

I STAND CORRECTED!

And I'd change that paint job if I were her!!
    HortonShakeski
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Could be 1/4, or not. Would like to see boatcam and more frames, but it appears that the
    ski is heavily grazing if not riding over the buoy enough to sink it a lot.
    ski6jonesklindy

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,681
    So what is that rear setup, just an R style or something custom?
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,681
    Yeah in the inverted images I noticed it comes up pretty high on her leg like a full rear boot.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

• ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,070 Mega Baller
    edited September 2016
    After watching a few guys run 39 from the boat I'm pretty sure I would bail long before 41. The speed and loads are just insane.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    i have seen a few skiers using the r -style shell with a full height liner. the majority i've seen use some kind of wrap around velcro strap to keep the tongue and flaps from catching water.
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,326 Mega Baller
    You only have a split second to go for it or bail out. I commend her for the guts to go for it. I tend to bail since the Achilles rupture. Never want to ensure that again
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    ski6jonesAndre
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2016
    I believe Whitney was using a vapor rear boot, modified until recently. For feel and comfort I can imagine her using the vapor liners. Amazing skiing
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,415 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Agree with @Edbrazil obviously the buoy but sure can look significantly displaced. Not enough pics to tell
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    Veering into a new topic, but I would love to see the "significantly displaced" rule just go away. It creates confusion and frankly asks the judge to do something impossible.

I wonder if anybody has ever tried to measure just how much one can displace a buoy. My instinct is telling me that at these speeds and durations, estimating water as incompressible is roughly correct and therefore buoys simply don't displace.

But who cares if they do? Why not simplify the judge's task and just judge the ski relative to the buoy? I really don't see any problem with this. Could somebody really evolve a technique that intentionally displaces buoys and gains an advantage? I doubt it, but I say we cross that bridge if we ever come to it.
    keithh2oskierski6jones9400Bill22
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,594 Mega Baller
    No expert here, but as I understand the rules, her front foot needed to beak the "X-Y Plane" which runs perpendicular to the course and through the buoy center line. In the second pic she is still a little short, but got there to be awarded 1/4. She likely lost the handle before her front foot turned and broke the "C-D Plane" running parallel to the course through the center line of 2,4,6.
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    they were using bubble buoys if I heard right. They don't displace like a normal buoy as I understand them
    dvskier
    Yes goode bubble balls

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,007 Mega Baller
    Hard to tell what it looked like at full speed but I would have said it is a 1/4. I watched it live on the webcast and was glad she was ok because it looked like she could have gotten twisted around.
    Mark Shaffer
    I generally make fun of any judge who calls a quarter ball. It is extremely rare for a skier to actually score a the quarter. From the vantage point I took these pictures this may be a legit quarter. I would have to see it from another angle. Based on the pictures I took I would give her half.

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,007 Mega Baller
    @Horton from stills I agree that it could be a half. At full speed it looked like she lost the handle almost simultaneously with getting the ski to the width of the ball. I agree that it is very unusual for the ski to not round back toward the wake even a little which results in a half.
    Mark Shaffer
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 883 Crazy Baller
    @Horton The answer to your question is dependent on the age of the person you are asking. When I was her age, I healed a lot quicker. Now, I would have just looked at the ball as I rode 10 feet inside it. Of course, that would have been at 28off, not 41.
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 367 Crazy Baller
    Tough call and always is in 1/4 vs 1/2. What I see is in the 2nd picture, she has the handle, in control, and buoy appears to be showing up at her front foot. In the next picture, she loses the handle, so I'm in the camp of 1/4 buoy.
    @John Brooks My camera was doing about 6 frames per second and she was doing maybe 50 mph. My point is a LOT happened between those 2 frames.

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,232 Mega Baller
    That looked just like my first 2 ball behind the 5.3! :blush:
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 621 Crazy Baller
    I also think its really hard to tell based on the photos and what happened between the two but wow that is a tough call to make regardless. To @horton point on 1/4 being basically useless - at that line length is it really physically possible to get a 1/4 if the skier is still holding on for more than a split second past the buoy when the ski is that close to the ball? My thought is the skier would essentially have to be letting go in the next 6" to not have started to cross the buoy line.

Look how much distance passed between the two photos using that circled weed as an estimate. That weed was in front of the bow is now behind the windshield and Whitney is still accelerating on the boat by the unofficial distance measurement of her right leg.

andjuleschrisroddy
    I'm pretty sure that if she wasn't waving to somebody on shore she would have gotten the whole ball

chrisroddy
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 542 Solid Baller
    That pic looks a lot like Regina at Utopia -- that record app was denied.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,199 Mega Baller
    @thompjs That's exactly what I was thinking. Here is Regina's Video for those that want to take another look.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Regina: more of a direct hit. Impressive that she didn't splat.