Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impending crash - which action do you take?

MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,600 Mega Baller
edited September 2016 in News & Other Stuff
Scenario: you are completing your turn and hooking up. You had some slack and you have skied over the rope. There is no opportunity to re-adjust your ski and avoid continuing over the rope. Which option do you take?

A. Hold onto the handle and brace yourself.
B. Release the handle and brace yourself.

I had this happen last night and selected option A. Well, it was selected for me, as everything was so unexpected and happened fast. The net result was that the eventual tightening of the rope flung the ski out of the water and over my head....with my feet still in the bindings. I held the rope through the completion of that maneuver and wrenched my shoulder a bit in the process.

But, it made me wonder what would be the better choice. It seems that letting go of the rope (B) would either hook the ski tip with the handle or possibly wrap around the tip of the ski like a noose. Both of those seem a bit more violent on your ankles or knees.

Anybody have this happen? First time for me. Also, I wonder if it is more common/probable at shorter line lengths. Mine was at 32 off.
The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Comments

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,348 Crazy Baller
    I've had it happen multiple times. No necessarily due to slack, but getting on the tail and the tip of the ski going up, then coming down over the rope. I have always let go as soon as I realized it was going to happen. Not much chance of ski getting caught on rope.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • WishWish Posts: 7,857 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Let go. Ski damage usually costs less then medical bills.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,476 Mega Baller
    Aside: This (admittedly rare) scenario is one reason to have a binding release from the toe. If the handle somehow grabs your ski, it can yank it very hard.
    There are not many bindings that can release from the toe (including the one I am using right now :( ), and it's not a true "must have" feature imo. But this is the one case where it's a good feature. MOB, for example, can do it.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    MISkier
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 851 Crazy Baller
    I'm not short line enough to have experienced this....but I am thinking certainly letting go, but i think as a rule hold on until the rope gets pulled out of your hand, but allow it to pull out without any resistance. ???
    Than_BoganMISkier
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,962 Mega Baller
    I would try to get away from the handle. I would rather wreck my equipment than my body.
    Mark Shaffer
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,153 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan I've had the handle catch the tip of the ski in a fall and it broke the ski at the front of the front binding. My bindings don't have a toe release. Don't know if a toe release binding would have helped or not.

I've had friends put their arm through the handle. I always hold onto the handle until it is pulled from my hands.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Keep the handle, ski tip comes up and out of the water, fall over. I've had that happen a handful of times and never came out with a significant injury.
    Jim Ross
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 175 Baller
    A Hall of Fame legend told me when discussing preventing injuries, "You've got to know when to let go of the handle bars."
    David Panneton - LakePort Water Ski Club, formerly known as Muddy Waters
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @Mark_Matis - among the many great lines from Deadpool
    Jim Ross
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,289 Mega Baller
    Panic, let go of handle, clinch check, poop a lot from inema.
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 807 Crazy Baller
    @MISkier told this story on the dock last night before I skied. Needless to say, I threw the handle away numerous times during my two frustrating sets trying to figure out 32off gates.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,600 Mega Baller
    @DaveD, you did not have the tailwind that gave me the extra slack, when I skied it improperly, so you probably did not have as much risk. My rope was nearly laying on the water when I ran over it in almost full pulling position. I took today off from skiing....and took some Aleve.

@skidawg, I have always worn neoprene-lined shorts to prevent enema. I've seen too many others on the receiving end of the boat-powered super flush.

It seems as though not many here are concerned about the rope/handle catching or enveloping the ski and applying some heavy torque to their ankles or knees. That seems like a legit issue, though.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    Same thing for me at 22off a couple weeks ago. I running the pass easily and turned, me and the ski flung up and around before I new what happened.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,799 Mega Baller
    Wasn't there a video 2 years ago of a handle wrapping a ski tip?
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,289 Mega Baller
    @MISkier , neo shorts are great until the water hits 100 in Louisiana
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!