Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Actually Happened

New ski school student turns up and goes off the dock at -38 and proceeds to run the mini course. Our assumption is that student has their own theory that you can learn to run -38 by progressively getting wider and wider which is interesting. Second and third sets became even more interesting as the theory shifted to -41 off the dock. After some convincing a quick examination at -28 full width revealed that 2 ball was a significant barrier. Student was unwilling to negotiate an alternative approach and has since decamped never to be seen again. I'm not going to say this theory is not sound but what I can say is that I've never seen it before and there was probably much more to it than we got to see.
'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' 2021 MC As soon as it lands Ski - KD Platinum

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,590 Mega Baller
    This could be a new tournament format. Start at 41off and move the balls out an incremental amount each completed pass.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,191 Mega Baller
    edited December 2016
    @mwetskier, that was in Wisconsin.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,266 Mega Baller
    edited December 2016
    While that skier may have been naive in believing the method to be a magic shortcut to running shorter line lengths, there is certainly nothing wrong with the concept. You have the variables of speed, line length, and width to play with... there's no reason not to take advantage of all of those variables in your training.

If you choose to be a hardliner and stick to "man speed", only the official line lengths, and focus only on hammering away at getting to that next ball just like you want to in a tournament, you are doing yourself a disservice.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,383 Mega Baller
    This doesn't seem like an efficient method to me for a number of reasons but the most important I think are measurability and consistency. we don't have a buoy every 3 feet out from the boat guides so it is very hard to measure if you were more wide/narrow on pass 1 than pass 2,3,4,5,etc.. the difficulty with measurement beyond eyeballing it makes this approach challenging to begin with.

The other piece I'd put out is that the ski doesn't behave the same way from narrow because it never casts out to set up the pre-turn like it does at full width. Even at 38,39,41 the ski casts out for the preturn, it isn't outside the ball as soon like it is at 28 but the ski makes a notable transition. It is difficult to create that when skiing narrow.

I think it is probably possible to learn the way this individual is attempting to however I think it is far from efficient and that the vast majority of us would be better served learning in more traditional methods of practicing good technique and using rope length and boat speed for training variations. Practice mode is a beautiful thing to be able to cut a half mph off of a hard pass or add a half mph on to an easy pass.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,477 Mega Baller
    Down under all kind of strange things happen. Even more after many VB's
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    [Deleted User]auskier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,608 Administrator
    VB! Love it!

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

auskier
  • JAGJAG Posts: 178 Crazy Baller
    "wasn't that training method pioneered by some guy in Michigan many years ago and it helped him win several national titles?"

Please don't associate the fine citizens of the great state of MI with the scandalous Dr. Jim Michaels. He isn't qualified to floss my dog's teeth. :)
    Than_Bogan
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,333 Mega Baller
    JUST TO CLEAR UP...the good dentist didn't win any national titles! EVER. The only thing he ever one was local yocal tourney in his back yard.
    auskierRPT
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    ... he also won a horrible reputation—permanently.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent