Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Radar Theory

After several years off the water, I've been free-riding a '14 Theory 65" for the past 2 seasons, and I'm just not loving it. It feels like it takes a lot of effort. It does seem to wake up a bit as speed increases, but overall not as fun as I expected or want.

I know the Theory was well-liked, but I'm thinking about picking up a basic Connelly (HP?) or similar to compare with. Anyone have similar experience with the Theory or thoughts on a ski to replace it?

Comments

• WayneWayne Posts: 452 Baller
    What speed and line length are you skiing? Are you free skiing or course skiing? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? These will all be factors in determing if you are on the right size ski. If it's too small for your weight and speed, that would be why the effort feels so high.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,743 Administrator
    The Theory is a great ski if it is the right size. The Connelly HP is actually a lower level ski than the Theory. If you want to go Connelly you would want to look at the "V".

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• burntPistonburntPiston Posts: 4 New Baller
    Generally under 30mph, 15 off, free skiing only. I'm 5'8", 145lbs. Not sure another inch of the same ski would change much.
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 319 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @burntPiston I would highly consider the 67" HO CX and its Superlite version. That ski rips!! Given you are skiing under 30mph, the size will be on point, and if/when you decide to bring into the course, the ski turns and generates angle quite easily. Truly a crossover ski. I skied on one for some photo shooting and the way the ski turns both ways was impressive!
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
    skier2788
  • WayneWayne Posts: 452 Baller
    For the speed you are at the 65" is a little small. I would agree with moving up to a 67".
  • pumpinpetepumpinpete Posts: 37 Baller
    +1 on 67" - less drag for you
  • burntPistonburntPiston Posts: 4 New Baller
    Thanks, all...I'm on the hunt for something bigger.