Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Passes of the Year

burdhntrburdhntr Posts: 34 Baller
Got back out this past weekend (April 2nd). Not the earliest, but not the latest ( but I WAS first one on the lake again this year). The thing that continues to surprise me every year is just how good I actually feel on the water. I always tell myself that I'm going to go easy so as not to risk falling especially as it's damn cold (54*) and I haven't been out for 5 months. But again, I felt REALLY good. Is it the lack of reference from the day before? Or just happy to be doing what I love again? Thoughts?

JAGBill22ahopkinsTXiBRY

Comments

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,168 Mega Baller
    it's always a beautiful day at the lake, and you're lucky to be able to enjoy it, good work !
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    jpattigr
  • maxpower220maxpower220 Posts: 14 Baller
    Got out for the first time this year yesterday too. Our lake was flooded and dam destroyed in 2014. Through a long process, all work was complete and the dam was closed on 1 Apr. Full enough to ski yesterday. Looking forward to a full year on the water.
    BlueSki
  • epnaultepnault Posts: 267 Solid Baller
    Check in on day 3 - ha ha. That first run is so sweet and I am the same way. I tell myself I will just ease into it and then end up going crazing. The last 2 seasons I hurt myself in the first week and I plan on not making this season 3-peat
  • burdhntrburdhntr Posts: 34 Baller
    That's probably a smart move epnault. Just turned 40 and keep waiting for the "other shoe to drop". Happily surprised so far that it hasn't.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,141 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    First set of open water passes today, sure was fun. Been in the gym a ton can't say I ran into muscular fatigue but was mighty winded. 6 buoys suits me better than 20 cuts, turn around 20 cuts, sit down long enough to catch some wind, tighten up and 20 cuts, turn around 20 cuts and done. I was gassed for air.
    I'm sure will be sore as hell in a few days...the ski set followed the gym and some work on dock/lift, yesterday put in 3 docks and one lift. That's spring in MN for ya.
    Today after skiing put in 2 more docks and took apart/disposed of a damaged trampoline. Tomorrow hope to hit gym and ski again. Next weekend dock/lift and perhaps one of two courses raised at the swamp if weather treats us right.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    MISkier
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,600 Mega Baller
    Did the first buoy passes last Sunday, then again yesterday - both days with much more wind than desired. Will do some free skiing today for conditioning. We had such weird weather here. Skied in February, got sore. Bad weather again for a month (including a short re-freeze on the lake) and skied again and got sore again. I think we are in it, finally.

@6balls, ditto on the winded issue with the free skiing. It's just something that apparently cannot be emulated in the gym.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    6balls
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,141 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MIskier glad I'm not alone. When I sat down in the water after the down and back and was huffing away I started wondering if I just held my breath the whole time! Sure was nice to be out, and I can tell all the leg/core work in the gym is going to be beneficial.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • dbskidbski Posts: 268 Crazy Baller
    Does not get much better for early April in MI than today. Put in 4 sections of dock this morning, then a friend from across the lake pulled me for the first set of the year behind his brand new 17 Malibu TXI. Watching a bit of the Masters and then its time to go out and finish the dock. Oh ya its also about 76 degrees and sunny!
    Rick Bohn
    6ballsMISkier
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 295 Baller
    Skied my first set today in MA, water is cold but air temp was in the 60's.

Had to change venues though - the water level on cochituate is so high I couldn't get my 196 through the keyhole tunnel.
  • burdhntrburdhntr Posts: 34 Baller
    72 in West Michigan. Put in a set. Felt terrible with the wind and chop. But hell, i skied again. It's just always fascinating to me how first sets look, feel, etc.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,429 Mega Baller
    Took the boat out yesterday. 25 mph gusts and water in the 40's convinced me it was better to just go for a cruise. Hopefully the conditions will be better after Easter.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • dhofertdhofert Posts: 215 Baller
    Plan on making putting the boat in to stay this week and skiing a bit. Had to work 12's all weekend. Go figure it's the nicest we have seen in MI all spring.
    burdhntr
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 189 Baller
    Getting closer in Medicine Hat Alberta.
    Took the course out of storage and re-inventory balls. Add in 55m set up balls. Now to just get it into the lake