Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use ZO Plus

HortonHorton Posts: 28,804 Administrator
edited April 2017 in Boat Talk
Do you use ZO Plus
Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Do you use ZO Plus 115 votes

Yes
13%
eleeskiA_Bwaterskicoreyacmx[Deleted User]Ed_Johnsonskiinxsklindymarknskihackeraupatkingryno65Felix BauerRalph LeeBeastmodeSKILIQUIDZONE 16 votes
No
75%
HortonauskierScarletArrowthagerDWDaveDski6jonesmlangeskibugRogerscotchipmandislandskiepGloersenAlberto SoaresLZywicki1Chef23RichardDoaneCam[Deleted User] 87 votes
Don't ski with ZO
10%
AndreGarnTom AndersongregyALPJrJibboLarsBCMBrennanKMNKKellyadkh2oskierhemlock 12 votes

Comments

• bkreisbkreis Posts: 304 Baller
    No
    I haven't seen anyone use plus aside from the 1st year it was available.
    www.skyfitness.com
    Horton
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,847 Mega Baller
    No
    I have never seen it used.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2017
    No
    I'm 215-220 lbs so Plus is supposed to be for me. When I tried it the faster gate speed was interesting, not as bad as I thought, but I would carry more speed into 1 than 34mph seemed to support. That was workable, not sure better or worse. The kicker for me was it came on too quick as I got into it after the ball. Normally ski C1 or B1 depending on boat. Never seemed to have time to get settled and handle down and in with Plus.
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 575 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes
    I take my boat and drive at around 8 tournaments per year and I am the only one who has ever used plus at any tournament that I have been at (that I am aware of). I liked it better until last year, but with the implementation of the single puck systems last year I stopped using it.
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    No
    @skiinxs What was it about Plus on dual puck you liked and why do you not prefer it with single puck now? Curious.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 984 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2017
    No
    Used it but would much prefer the feel of the trick mode slalom values.

Pretty sure the current “+” setting is basically the original release version of ZO (pre rev P101?) with the exception of the 1.6% above baseline higher pre-gate speed (vs 0.8%).

IMO the “+” version would be more swing friendly (like trick mode slalom) if the Kd gains were similar to current “+” but with clipping values similar to the non “+” settings.

As “+” is now the clipping values allow too much speed deviation which lessens the RPM range in response to load. It would feel better with higher RPM deviations and tighter speed tolerances (clipping values). Also the higher gate speed makes no sense; why come in at 34.8(vs 34.5)/36.6(vs 36.3) and have the boat not respond as much to efficient load for the gate shot? I’d prefer a response more similar to a good 2B to 3B.

It sounds like from other’s info that the original ideas behind a “+” setting would have potentially been better at creating more of a swing mode slalom (Higher Kd's with lower clipping values?) but the engine revs in response led to some uneasiness; who knows? It also seems that perhaps some of the original engineering minds involved with ZO may no longer be in the picture.

Perhaps something positive (no "+" pun intended) will shake out eventually.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    No
    I was in the size range plus was designed for but I don't get to train behind ZO enough to see if it would be better for me. I generally only ski behind ZO in tournaments so I always use the same setting.
    Mark Shaffer
  • GarGar Posts: 312 Baller
    No
    Did not know it existed!
    Andre
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    No
    Never even tried it
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • blakeyatesblakeyates Posts: 164 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Gloersen, would not the faster gate speed be a trade-off for a slightly lower overal speed thru the remainder of the course? I think we may be splitting hairs but that's what we do with all the technical stuff.
    Blake Yates
    Nautique Promo Rep, GA
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,099 Mega Baller
    Don't ski with ZO
    Never skied with ZO.
  • ahopkinsTXiahopkinsTXi Posts: 52 Baller
    No
    I have never used it, or tried it to be honest. 175lb, B2 36mph into -28.
    In need of something...
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    No
    I know probably 20-30 tournament skiers that do not post here and none of them use the plus. As a tournament driver, I can't recall ever selecting it for anyone at a tournament.

I tried it when it was first released and initially thought it might be something, but I returned to my old setting. I never used it in a tournament.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,228 Mega Baller
    edited April 2017
    Yes
    I am normally in the 250-260 range the last few years and found A1+ worked out a lot of timing issues for me. Was C1. Last year in the new 5.3 I skied like crud on A1+ and went to B1+ and that made a big improvement. I am RFF and don't mind the gate as that is probably the best controlled angle and position I will have in any pass.
  • acmxacmx Posts: 239 Baller
    edited April 2017
    Yes
    I use it, def a minority. For me, I like how it takes away the feeling of getting yanked through the entrance gates, after the gate I don't feel any difference. Have used it on several different boat/engine combos without much adjustment other than the Centurion I tried it on, that thing kicked the crap out of me.....it was Very aggressive!
  • CamCam Posts: 329 Solid Baller
    No
    Skied A1+ for a year until a driver forgot to put the plus in and it felt really easy so went back to A1, I had skied C1 before going to A1+
  • marknmarkn Posts: 291 Crazy Baller
    Yes
    Run C2+. With it, I get a 7:12 2 ball. On C2, I get a 7:14 or sometimes 7:15. I am 34 mph skier @ 185 lbs.
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,178
    edited April 2017
    Yes
    Absolutely LOVE the Plus. Have used it ever since it first came out. Never realized how much I depended on it until my Driver left it off one day and it felt like the boat had NO power, and it's a 200 with a 409. Also, I am 6'4" @220 lbs...B-1+

All the "Light" Guys I ski with tried it when it first came out but never use it now.

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 322 Crazy Baller
    No
    I accidentally set ZO to plus, it took me two days to figure out why my skiing sucked. I am an aggressive skier and I absolutely hated it.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,804 Administrator
    No
    Those of you who like PLUS do you like the idea of trading it for Trick Mode?

• acmxacmx Posts: 239 Baller
    edited April 2017
    Yes
    @Horton I don't think anybody could answer that question since we don't know what the final product would be. Trick mode sounds interesting (haven't tried it yet), why couldn't they just add it instead of replacing PLUS? I think most would agree we could use a few more ZO settings......kidding.
    Drago
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,804 Administrator
    No
    @acmx I think the problem is that they would have to redesign the interface. Simply replacing plus mode with the new map doesn't require anny additional redesign.

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,188 Mega Baller
    No
    I tried it when it first came out and used it for about 1/2 a season. As a driver, I had a request for it this weekend in TRICKS at a collegiate tournament. Have never seen that before.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,574 Mega Baller
    No
    No one has asked for it in a tournament I've driven in the past two years. I drive 10 to 14 tournaments a year between Okeeheelee, Palm Bay and sometimes Miami.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,386 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes
    I've used it since it was introduced. I also use it for tricks. While I haven't been skiing up to par the last couple year while I struggle with some health issues, the plus setting makes ZO almost palatable. I'm 6'6", 240lb and ZO can be tough on big guys.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP