Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help waterskiing return to it's former glory

skier2788skier2788 Posts: 736 Crazy Baller
edited April 2017 in News & Other Stuff
I have seen this on Facebook a few time but was surprised not to see it here. Jennifer Leachman Lapoint has an idea to help waterskiing get some publicity.

https://goo.gl/tm5AWN
Travis Torley

Comments

• skier2788skier2788 Posts: 736 Crazy Baller
    She has said that if you want details you can contact her directly.
    Travis Torley
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,340 Mega Baller
    Would be interesting to k ow what the idea is for sure. 100k os going I be a difficult mark to hit by May 1 though. Most people who try to give back to the sport do it locally.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    If she is really serious she should do a youtube video. Just looking at it from the go fund me it questionable. Putting up a video and saying what she could would give it more credibility. @horton you know anything about this?
    skier2788
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 751 Crazy Baller
    Seems odd, this is not what Go Fund Me is for!
    Big Secret, let it out. Maybe someone with money would be able to run with it and make it work. Very suspicious!
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,349 Crazy Baller
    I've seen reports in the media where people raise large amounts of money with Go Fund Me, I also know of a lady who had nothing try to get help for her husband's burial expenses and get only $300. They also keep about 8% + a per transaction fee. I guess it's really Jennifer, but it seems an unusual way to raise capital. Can @lpskier provide some insight?
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 940 Crazy Baller
    I don't get it. Raise money for what?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,900 Administrator
    edited April 2017
    I know what she's doing and I have agreed to confidentiality. It is safe to say she has an idea for a product or service that she believes will make water skiing more accessible to the masses.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

RazorRoss3skier2788MISkierBulldog
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,349 Crazy Baller
    I guess that's better than going on Shark Tank.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 352 Baller
    Is it to sell more luxury lake front homes?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,900 Administrator
    No

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,903 Mega Baller
    Sure is one of the best ambassadors of the sport.
    skier2788
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,824 Mega Baller
    If there is anyone who has a passion for the sport and a competitive drive it would be Jeniffer Leachman-Lapoint. Whatever the idea is I hope it is a huge success!
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,291 Mega Baller
    what @BoneHead said
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • So_I_SkiSo_I_Ski Posts: 142 Baller
    @skidawg and @BoneHead, why can't you ask for confidentiality? NDA's (non disclosure agreements) are commonly used in the business world. Then, if you don't like what you hear from her, you simply don't contribute but you keep a zipped lip. No one should have any problem whatsoever with that because she'd not saying she will only tell you after you give her the money, she's just saying that for whatever the reason, she doesn't want her idea to be public knowledge at this stage.
    [Deleted User]jayskisunvalleylaw
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 484 Crazy Baller
    What do we have to loose. A hundred or two hundred to most of us probably isn't going to change very much in terms of the way we live. Think about all the free web cam tourneys we've all had the luxury of watching. Perhaps this is the beginning of something big. The Lapoint's are stand up people.

skier2788
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,155 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman you can reach her through a link on the gofundme page.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    I am looking into this and believing I will be impressed enough to donate a little something.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,479 Mega Baller
    edited April 2017
    I'll admit I find a no-information request for cash a little odd, but perhaps I am just not with the times (no surprise there!).

Nevertheless, I have contacted her to see if there is a meaningful way I could be of help, whether on the invention end or the investor end.

ACTUALLY, that failed -- @lpskier I believe you mistyped the email? Presumably there's an "o" in there?
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan the teamlapint address is probably for a beer drinking team... I think I'll look into that :wink:
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Than_BoganBruce_Butterfield
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 853 Crazy Baller
    Unless I missed something, I didn't see Jennifer's name mentioned in the article at all, not until I followed the GoFundMe link did I see her name. I'm sure Horton wouldn't put up anything shady, but it did seem a little odd with all the secrecy, and no name mentioned. I was very skeptical until I saw who it was.
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,185 Crazy Baller
    @Wolfeie But how many of the recreational skiers have a SN200, a relatively new ski, or ski on a private lake (or let alone live on one). Not that the older Nautiques or Malibus aren't good ski boats, but I would think that as far as promo boats and new (especially high end) ski sales come from people competing. The companies have to keep selling product and making a profit to stay in business.
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 568 Crazy Baller
    @Ilibvetoski, I have not skied a tourney in a long time. I can't speak for the rest of the non-tourney wallies like me, but I just bought a new SN200, a new 2017 Connelly GT, and new Radar Vapor Bindings. And all new gear for my boy. I don't think anyone in my ski club skis in tourneys either; but we all love getting new gear.
    RichardDoane
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan you are right, and the address is corrected. Thanks!
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,340 Mega Baller
    I would agree with @OB1 here, I think quality equipment ownership is more dependent on frequency of access than competition status. If you ski a lot you are going to want high quality equipment eventually if its on public or private water, course or no course, competition training or just enjoying time on the water. If the top secret idea can succeed in creating greater access it will increase high level equipment sales since people will want to upgrade to skis that match their abilities if they are getting enough water time to make the purchase seem reasonable with their budgets.
    jjackkrash
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    I communicated with Jennifer, and while maintaining the confidentiality, I think it is a cool idea, and I am in to help. I would love to see it succeed.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,267 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I'm like @jjackkrash Just bought a new Prostar, Vapor LE, Boa gloves, ML slide loop rope and carbon handle...all top-of-the line gear that won't be used to train for any tournaments. I'm on public water, and rarely get to ski a course these days, but I love the sport immensely. I think there are more of us than private lake ballers realize (hope so anyway). I have no clue what JLP is up to, but I wish her luck and success, and will toss in a few bucks.
    Scott Calderwood
    jjackkrashsunvalleylawKdinger838
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 568 Crazy Baller
    @swc5150, if you come on out to the PacNW for a visit anytime soon, be sure to look me up--our public course is the bomb.
    sunvalleylawswc5150