Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Boat

NickDNickD Posts: 16 Baller

After a rough patch late last fall the University of Wisconsin Stout finally brought home a new boat! As some of you probably saw we hit a stump last fall and it sent our '98 response to the bottom of the lake. After a long winter of fundraising and a spring of low team moral with not having a boat we finally found a boat in our price range with zero off and lower hours. We look forward to hitting the water soon and getting our course and jump ready for the upcoming season!
jjackkrashWishbbrannankeithh2oskiersunvalleylawBill22swc51506ballsShellMateo_VargasMattPReggieO303SkierBruce_ButterfieldSkoot1123skiinxsjetpilotg4schaferMISkierahopkinsTXiMuskokaKyBulldoggt2003dropskijpattigrbigskieridahoUWSkierThan_Boganbojansrodeconski6jones

Comments

• jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 606 Crazy Baller
    Awesome!

Make sure to get agreed-value replacement insurance on this boat and set the agreed value in the new-boat price range. The marginal cost on better coverage is actually pretty cheap.
    ahopkinsTXiThan_BoganKeith Menard
  • NickDNickD Posts: 16 Baller
    @jjackkrash we had Global Marine insuring the Malibu for 7 or 8 years I'm pretty sure. we called them to get insurance on the Nautique before we brought it on the 800 mile trip home and they dropped us. Do you know of any other companies that have a good track record in dealing with boats and ski clubs?
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 588 Crazy Baller
    That sucks. Did they say why they dropped you? Is it from the claim on the Response?

I use Global Marine for my boat insurance. I recently looked into ski safe but the premiums were a fair amount higher.
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 606 Crazy Baller
    I don't know for clubs. I use Progressive as they have a good replacement-value policy. A club with a recent loss might be a tough sell, however.

You might need to put in some leg work to just get insured. And you also might need to structure an entity or a new entity to get the boat insured; I would investigate what its its going to take to get the club insured before you start calling around and getting rejected.
    We have had a number of companies that gave us quotes but they are all were significantly higher than Global Marine was, which we were expecting being a significantly nicer boat. But we were not expecting them to almost quadruple. @keithh2oskier they did not say, I would assume its from the claim. we had claimed one minor thing before and this accident, which was considered a "total loss" by the company.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,349 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Is the stump gone or marked now? I'd like to take my boat out there and say hi to you guys, but don't want to have a similar experience. My wife is a Stout grad:)
    Scott Calderwood
    @swc5150 we love when stout grads come and talk to us! the stump is up on the river off the north end of the lake. Its pretty safe for the most part but once you go around the 90 degree bend on the river it gets pretty shallow. And to answer your question, no, the stump is not marked. We are going to go up there and find the stump and other parts of the Ole Malibu and get it marked once we get a depth finder put on our new boat. Hope to see you out!
  • ahopkinsTXiahopkinsTXi Posts: 52 Baller
    @NickD that is great that you guys will be back on the water now! Beautiful looking SN196 too.

Did you get a quote from Boaters Insurance Agency?
    In need of something...
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    I love that! Sometimes I wish I was back in college and part of a water ski club with access to a club boat with my ski friend. Congrats!!
    @ahopkinsTXi We have not looked into them I believe. I will let our president know they were recommended and have him take a look! Thanks
  • h2onhkh2onhk Posts: 294 Crazy Baller
    @nickD awesome looking boat! you guys must have been watching the sites close. I think that one was listed on Ski-it-again for about 1 day and onlyinboards for maybe 2. Way to snatch that beauty quick!
    NickDsunvalleylaw
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,363 Mega Baller
    My alma-mater! :smile: By way of Madison.

Great to see you guys are good to go! That stretch between Tainter and Menomin is always interesting. I hit an iceberg on my old HO Mach 1 out there in 2002...

Good luck with the insurance!
    sunvalleylaw
  • GarGar Posts: 312 Baller
    Try Boatus.com